Systematic color progression examples? (1 Viewer)

binoclard

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I dream of a CPC custom set, and even I have already started to save (and discard…) dozens of sets in the mockup tool, I realise it will be a long haul before my tastes are refined enough and I could pull the trigger in good conscience without second doubt (Not a chance… I already suspect it will only make me want a second one).

I am in the accumulate-assimilate phase, looking for a ton of inspiration around here. Thank you all for that, it is invaluable.

While they are certainly a myriad of splendid sets with lots of "random" colours that match (more or less) well, I am drawn for now toward sets with limited colours, carefully selected to avoid problems, and/or distributed between chips and spots in a "logical" systematic way.

For example, @PokerChipsDesign Gemini set is a fantastic example: it works with 5 colours on 4 chips, creating a gorgeous coherent-cohesive set that is simple and sophisticated at the same time. Love it.
The progression of colours is the first I see that is systematic: 1-2, 2-1-3, 3-2-4-5, 4-5, using not only a limited colour palette, but distributing them from one chip to the next.

Do you have more examples of this kind of colour experiment?

Thanks in advance!

For example, @PokerChipsDesign Gemini set is a fantastic example: it works with 5 colours on 4 chips, creating a gorgeous coherent-cohesive set that is simple and sophisticated at the same time. Love it.
IMG_7594.jpeg

I like what he’s done there.
You might not see a lot of similar sets here, because people worry way too much about dirty stacks. I would suggest you consider potential dirty stack issues when designing your sets, but that you largely ignore the dirty stack police of PCF. A lot of these people will warn you not to use the base color of one chip as a spot color on the next chip. While that is an easy way to avoid dirty stacks, it’s far too restrictive.
And personally, I’d never let an occasional dirty stack get in the way of a design that I loved. You do you.

For this set I wanted Cali colours and progression from lower to higher denominations from a contrast, spot, and colour perspective.

To ensure the highest denomination (yes it's only a $5 as I'm not man enough for more than 25NL) in the set stood out compared to the others, I kept the quarter and $1 spots and base colours in the same colour group.

Also, if you mixed the spot/base colours of the quarter and $1 you pretty much get the spot colours of the $5. This gives it a flow from a colour perspective.

1000003392.jpg

You might not see a lot of similar sets here, because people worry way too much about dirty stacks.

Yeah… I think the "do not reuse colours" mantra/rule is a bit exaggerated. The Gemini set is one proof imho that when done right, it works without issues. I think it creates a more cohesive set versus "several semi-random chips that happens to be part of the same set". That is the premise of this thread, I would like to dig and experiment, and see if it is a good idea to explore a methodic/systematic approach to colours, rather than choose arbitrary.

But perhaps a "cohesive set" from a design/look perspective is overrated. I do not know, I see great sets where colours match and form a whole coherent "story", and I see great sets that seem to use all the colours from the palette. It is super hard to define what "works". And I do not think of inlays yet…

Also, if you mixed the spot/base colours of the quarter and $1 you pretty much get the spot colours of the $5. This gives it a flow from a colour perspective.

View attachment 1173651

I would not have thought you had a "logic" here at first, or rather it is outside the scope of what I envisioned as "systematic" but indeed, it totally makes sense and works well! I'll keep the idea of mixing two colours to justify the next.
Classy tone-on-tone, simple spots, plus a super nice elegant inlay, more flashy high denom… Great work.
I am not a fan of red chips, but I love your 25c. What colours is that? Retro red + Red?

I don't know that this qualifies for what you are looking for in terms of systematic, but IMHO, Samurai Palace chips have one of the best spot progressions I have seen.

rs=w_1200,h_1200.jpeg

Hi,

I dream of a CPC custom set, and even I have already started to save (and discard…) dozens of sets in the mockup tool, I realise it will be a long haul before my tastes are refined enough and I could pull the trigger in good conscience without second doubt (Not a chance… I already suspect it will only make me want a second one).

I am in the accumulate-assimilate phase, looking for a ton of inspiration around here. Thank you all for that, it is invaluable.

While they are certainly a myriad of splendid sets with lots of "random" colours that match (more or less) well, I am drawn for now toward sets with limited colours, carefully selected to avoid problems, and/or distributed between chips and spots in a "logical" systematic way.

The progression of colours is the first I see that is systematic: 1-2, 2-1-3, 3-2-4-5, 4-5, using not only a limited colour palette, but distributing them from one chip to the next.

Do you have more examples of this kind of colour experiment?

Thanks in advance!
Post in thread '2023 HOF Stump Thread'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/2023-hof-stump-thread.104352/post-2155788
When I designed this set I focused on 2,4,6,8 edgespots. And an edgespot color leads to the next chip base color.

In designing a four or five chip set, I’ve always ended up with two chips I love, have been really happy with the 3rd, but have always found that the 4th chip never sat right with me, killing the set (usually, but not always, the $20).

To make this set happen, I had to compromise and give up on several design elements I’ve wanted to use for a long time. But I kept it Cali-ish and kept Imperial Blue. Somewhat like @SteveEH (it appears we have a very similar taste), I kept colors on the first 3 chips within the same temperature (warm with warm, cool with cool- keeping it relatively simple, cleaner, and easy to trac denoms). I then leveraged the first three base colors on the $20 offset against the obvious black (which would be unlikely to see the table anyway). Always a give and take. Of all the NL cash sets I’ve designed, this is my favorite- I just never play NL and already have two NL sets, so…. I may never order it.

1691151787431.png

In designing a four or five chip set, I’ve always ended up with two chips I love, have been really happy with the 3rd, but have always found that the 4th chip never sat right with me, killing the set (usually, but not always, the $20).

To make this set happen, I had to compromise and give up on several design elements I’ve wanted to use for a long time. But I kept it Cali-ish and kept Imperial Blue. Somewhat like @SteveEH (it appears we have a very similar taste), I kept colors on the first 3 chips within the same temperature (warm with warm, cool with cool- keeping it relatively simple, cleaner, and easy to trac denoms). I then leveraged the first three base colors on the $20 offset against the obvious black (which would be unlikely to see the table anyway). Always a give and take. Of all the NL cash sets I’ve designed, this is my favorite- I just never play NL and already have two NL sets, so…. I may never order it.

View attachment 1174351
Have you ever considered designing a 3 chip set?

Like, would something like $1/$10/$100 be playable?

I do agree that it gets way harder after the third chip.

I could probably get away with a frac/1/5 as I’d only order a few 20s. I don’t play big games and so 1/10/100 wouldn’t be useful… my games are more about the social aspect than the $.

I think the trouble, for me, is that I don’t like most single-color spot combos with black, brown, or maroon, and those I do like are usually already used in another chip by the time I get there…

I think your set works rather well? I quite like it, and the spot progression is nice.
I am not a fan go black chips either… I have taken the liberty of trying to make your 20 with maroon as base, and all the other bases as spots. Not sure that works better :-/

Edit: @warma I really like you inlay! Have you considered changing the green and trying to match colours?

maroon-310.png

That’s an insteresting question from a PCF perspective. My first thought was that it wouldn’t be a very efficient set - you’d need a lot more chips on the table just to be able to make change. It only takes five $1s to make change for a $5, but it takes ten $1s to make change for a ten. So you’d probably want at least 15-20 of each denom per player on the table for a set like that.
From your typical PCF perspective, that’s no problem. Most PCFers like having lots of chips on the table. But by the same token, most PCFers like having lots of different chips in their set. People here are usually looking for any excuse to create extra chips and they end up with cash sets that have 6 different denominations even though 3 would work. So that’s one reason why you probably won’t run into many three denom cash sets here.

Edit: @warma I really like you inlay! Have you considered changing the green and trying to match colours?
Yes, but didn’t like it. This is a play off my 310 Club non-denom inlay used in my limit set- I wanted a consistent way to capture the denom while having it feel like it belongs as part of a theme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom