Sunfly Hybrid Red Transfer (1 Viewer)

ChipTalker

Flush
Reaction score
Anyone else get red transfer on their white sunfly hybrids? They do get a decent amount of use but nothing crazy, maybe 2 times a month since I got them 2 yrs ago.

I tried magic eraser but did not seem to do much. If anyone has solved it please share.

Edit: I forgot I hinted at this way back but did not get much traction, maybe people have seen it more by now.
And it is much worse now then back then for me.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/bw-color-transfer.22399/

Thanks

Last edited:
NJ, We play in my attached garage so a little humid in summer but in general my garage is never lower than 40 when 0 outside or 80 when 100 outside usually 50-70 except extreme days. Humidity fine all year maybe a little in summer. When we play and chips in use there is AC or heat making it 65 - 75 with low humidity.

Ive seen dye transfer before with ceramics. But they were older chipcos. I'm going to start trying different things and see if I can get some of my extras to do this.

Wow no shit huh?!? I only had my BWs for a year or so and only played them a couple of times but that is hard to believe. I’m certainly not questioning you though.

Do you and your crew shuffle different denoms together?

What do the faces look like?

Do you play on red felt?

It seems to be mostly around the injection point of the chips based on that one photo. So weird whatever is happening in such short time and relatively low amount of use.

While I have not noticed it I would say any type of shuffling is up for grabs.
I myself typically use 1 denom however when I am low on chips I am certain I have mixed occasionally.
I never noticed the faces before but after investigating they too look dirty and there is some transfer as well but not as bad as edges.
The felts is green suited speed cloth for the most part, they have never touched red felt.

Been a year and I finally got the urge to try some stuff.
I tried:
Magic Eraser - little effect
Oxiclean - little effect
Peroxide/Baking soda mix- little effect
Ultrasonic - little effect

On the plus side none of them seemed to damage the chip at all.
However while all 4 methods cleaned the chip, none of them really removed the transfer stain.
Maybe it softened the transfer a little.

It is VERY hard to tell from the pics but the 1st is dirty, 2nd is clean, 3rd shows transfer remains after clean.
See OP for side pic of rack.
Worth noting that the transfer is way worse on the edges than the face, anyone know if the edge is a slightly different material (seems more shiny too)
Left Pic is old chip/right pic is new never used.

still looking for a solution if anyone has one.
Next on my list is sandpaper, Magic eraser is 3000 grit so I will give 2000 sandpaper a try on edges.

Stay Tuned

Dirty.jpg
Clean.jpg
Side.jpg

well even sandpaper did not remove all the transfer on my test chip. It did however start to fade the Blue spot. Again it is hard to see from the pic but the red patch is better than it was but still worse than the pic is showing. For the record i used 2000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I guess I am at a lose on this venture.

20200129_214541.jpg

I have no data to back this up but I suspect that white chips are mainly the native chip blank colour. This means that they haven’t been printed on so are maybe more likely to pick up colour from other chips. Since ceramics are due sublimation, the ink is supposed to absorb somewhat into the chip surface. Perhaps the unprinted areas are more susceptible to absorbing ink since they are still raw.

Just wondering, anybody else having this issue with sunfly white chips? I will check mine, but I am assuming no issues since most of my chips haven't even seen a poker table.

interesting thought about the white lack of dye ... plus the fact that white will show more.
i also still feel like the rolling edge is different than the face somehow. Smoother and shiny.

Kinda shocked that nobody else has seen this considering how bad the transfer is in the OP

I have a few unused spares and they are fine, it is totally from use. I would say I have used them more than 30 but less than 40 sessions since they were released.

hmm check this out too in OP pic, it is not limited to but much more heavily prominent around the dimple

I would expect the transfer to be worse on the rolling edge (glossy finish) vs the chip face (matte finish). The surface may be unprinted (don't know that for sure), but it does have a finish of some type.

I did some intentional transfer tests on their polyclay chips years ago (red and white chips), but have not done so with the hybrids.

It took some serious rubbing between chips to transfer the red to white. I came away feeling as if normal play wouldn't duplicate my results.

Probably not, if you're having that much trouble removing it. And you don't live in Georgia (a lot of red clay instead of normal dirt).

Yeah it is not dust and dirt. It is dye from the red 5s for sure but how it got so deep in the white material from normal play is odd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom