Sun-Fly Polyinno Chips - Help (2 Viewers)

Heidal

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some assistance here. I purchased the Sun-Fly Prestige Ployinno Chips a few months ago and have played with them for about 100 hours so far. The players at my game love the look but the biggest complaint is that they are too slick/slippery. Id rather not purchase other chips as I have invested in 2500 of these chips. I did obtain samples prior to making such a purchase and I thought they were great but I guess you really dont know until you log some hours with them in action. Any suggestions on not making them so slippery?

Thanks,

Heidal

Keep playing with them. Those chips are great. Any pics you can share? 39mm or 43mm?
And definitely never buy cards molds or Matsui if you think Sunflys are slippery!

I love my 43mm sunflys
20210517_165615.jpg

Nothing but compliments every time they hit the felt!

@Heidal I would recommend high count sand paper. Others have had success at making the Emerald Bay Matsui's not slide off the table by lightly sanding them. For the record those particular Matsui are by FAR the most slippery chips I have ever encountered... high grit sand paper should not damage the finish.

And definitely never buy cards molds or Matsui if you think Sunflys are slippery!

I love my 43mm sunflys
View attachment 1246727
Nothing but compliments every time they hit the felt!

@Heidal I would recommend high count sand paper. Others have had success at making the Emerald Bay Matsui's not slide off the table by lightly sanding them. For the record those particular Matsui are by FAR the most slippery chips I have ever encountered... high grit sand paper should not damage the finish.
Thank you! I will try it out on the sample chips I have.

If your group is complaining of slipperiness of Sun-Fly ceramics, then you have no choice but to upgrade to clays. Sorry for your wallet, but the tribe has spoken.
I really don’t want to go down that road, it my heart and wallet. My game is growing quickly and I imagine by spring I’m going to need more chips.

No experience with 39mm sunflys... 43mm = more surface area and more friction... just basic physics... (less surface area, less friction = higher risk of being slippery) many ceramics suffer the same situation, even old school chipcos that have a very textured surface wear down over time and become slippery... so not a huge suprise that a smooth textured surface like Sunflys are having issues after 100 banked hours.

Back a couple years ago when many here were ordering Sunflys many of us loved the idea of a 43mm set for not much additional cost, I may be wrong but I believe the majority that do own them have 43mm sets. Not saying there aren't obviously 39mm sets out there... I just think it is less common.

Anyways I do believe light sand paper to the faces will bring back the surface texture and get your crew back in business... a pain in the butt of labor yes... but so is hand cleaning clay chips after a few times of being put in play... a labor of love for the hobby!

What stakes/game are you playing if you don’t mind me asking? Also how many players are you getting at your game if 2500 is not enough!?
I run a 1/2 NL Holdem with PLO Double Board Bomb pots every half hour. I consistently have 14-18 players, but recently have had 2 full tables running with 5-6 people waiting. Over the 8-12 hours of the game running it could be close to 30 different people in one night.

In my limited experience, hybrid ceramics seem much slipperier than non-hybrids. That's just comparing BRPro and Tina ceramics vs. Polyinno. My guess is the recessed label means even less contact between the chips, or that the glossy label face is smoother than the edges.

I mean you could sand them, but sanding 2500 chips would be a herculean effort. If you never clean them they'll get stickier over time.

Anyways, I say you should probably just tell people to put up with it. They're pretty and perfectly functional, and it's not like you can't stack and bet with them easily. The cost to replace 2500 chips is exorbitant, and it'll be hard to sell them for what you paid (I assume, idk what resale is like on the prestige).

39mm Sun-Fly ceramic hybrids (either recess size) are much more slippery than the Sun-Fly 43mm version with small 25mm recess. This is mostly due to a larger face-to-face contact area, although being a heaver chip also contributes

Not much can be done to correct the slippery condition of the 39mm hybrids. I do not recommend sanding ceramic chips of any type -- including hybrids -- as it will very likely remove the material containing the ink and expose the white ceramic base chip underneath.

Unlike plastic chips, the dye-sub printing used on ceramics does not penetrate the chip surface very deeply, and even minor scratches can result in the ink being removed showing the white ceramic base chip.

Has anyone ever experimented with rosin dust to make chips more grippy? In a light application it should have next to no color and will dramatically increase grip

I love my SF hybrids! As far as being slippery, it's relative. Compared to minty Paulsons yes, compared to BR Pro or Tina ceramics no.

20230413_161417.jpg
20230413_153255.jpg
20230413_153138.jpg

I have the 39mm. I wanted these so I didn’t need to special order a 43mm dealer tray.
It’s a shame you couldn’t replace the chip tray to allow you to purchase the size of chips you wanted instead of letting the chip tray dictate your chip size. Nice looking chips though!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom