Struggling with attendance lately - feedback and ideas? (1 Viewer)

Sorry if I missed it (didn't read all the posts), but how do you send your invites out? I ask because I recently discovered that it matters. I was using a simple register if interested app. I was not requiring a no or maybe response
I text, email and schedule an event in the private facebook group. People mark their RSVPs, or I do as I hear from them.

*edit* disregard, i think i misread OP. sounds like you already do something similar to what i was suggesting.

You may want to look at a different night of the week, especially during the busy summer months. This summer I ran games on Monday nights instead of Saturday and every game was full within a few hours of sending out invites. Monday or Thursday could work well if your players like to watch football as well. This may help to recruit some casual players that would go to the bar to watch the weeknight football games as well.

Also, league games are harder to get people to show up for if they haven’t committed from the beginning. I am often asked to fill in for friends that play in them and they have a hard time getting people to do it. More casual one off tournaments are easier to get sporadic players.

You could still keep track of players finishes and create a point system and have a final game, but no overlay, perhaps just a trophy that you supply for the POY.

I think about this one a lot. I'd say on any given night there is at least half the table that is strong and understand STT concepts/dynamics well, and then another segment is competent enough, but not consistently making deep runs. A few are, lets say, learning. I do wonder if it's a bit tougher of a game than people expect when they join up for the first time.

Not in that way, but I do have a 7-2 payout (first to show it and drag a pot), a donkey payout (first one out gets a $10 rebate), as well as $10 bounties on previous winners.

I have been thinking about a mystery bounty night too.
For cash games we do a dollar jackpot (add $1 from every pot, or two on split pots like bigO) (always no flop no drop) with a healthy reserve amount always intact. A white board keeps it all current. As the jackpot grows people get pumped and we lower the parameters. Also We do $25,$50, and even $100 splash pots with some of the kitty for the game starters. It deff helps the invites/texts/hype when the jackpot swells. Start with aces full of kings in HE, and both hole cards must play. Hollar out “THREE ON BOARD” when u see AAAxx =)

I don’t know how this is even possible. Respectfully, what the hell kind of clowns do you play with?
I don’t want to tell a guy who’s struggling to fill his seats that he needs to cross people off his list, but what the hell? Everybody who plays poker knows how much it sucks when somebody no-shows or last minute cancels, so they don’t do it.
Do they need to be told/warned/threatened?
It took a while before I could really weed these people out. When yoy are getting a game off the ground you just have to deal with it with a smile for a while.

I had one night early on where I filled the table. Then day of, between 4 and 6 pm, had 5 cancelations and had to submarine the whole game.

Interesting point. Definitely not opening the floodgates one this one, if someone brings a friend they'd be vetted for sure. Something to think about regardless.
I like this idea, you could offer a 10% chip bonus to the new player, and the player bringing them.

I trust that my players will only bring people who are a good fit, and so far no problems. You can also do some light vetting on their FB page.

Happy to report that last night we had a full table in spite of a few last minute bails. Worked the phones, recruited a couple new guys and the game last night was pure action, what an absolute blast.

One game does not cure all that ails but was very encouraging, not to mention the post tourney cash game was also great.

9B952C23-DC7C-4D49-BF65-84F3D158A761.jpeg
F8C85912-A6E5-490D-88FB-65E7112D02D4.jpeg
7BD35999-A060-45A3-8A44-63CE6E7C3C9D.jpeg
DA52C627-ADB9-43CC-A806-692A2023954C.jpeg
39C38472-A39E-4C73-ACBF-9D6FF2EEE1E9.jpeg

I would think its too expensive. You want the barrier on entry low especially for newer players who want to learn and come have fun. If a couple comes and maybe are not very good and would have to rebuy thats $80 so play a game they barley know? People wont do that. I say $20 buy ins could help. Just my 2 cents

I think maybe switch to cash games, then if someone is going to be late it doesn't matter. Always sucks to got to a home tournament and bust out early. Bust out in a cash game just dig in your pocket and keep on playing.

I maybe biased though, I hate being the tournament director. As it is I always provide the chips, cards, and run the bank. Your mileage may vary. :)

I would think its too expensive. You want the barrier on entry low especially for newer players who want to learn and come have fun. If a couple comes and maybe are not very good and would have to rebuy thats $80 so play a game they barley know? People wont do that. I say $20 buy ins could help. Just my 2 cents
It’s actually $100…

I’ve gone back and forth a few times on the buy-in but the more I debate it the more I feel like it’s in the sweet spot for my current cast of characters, and my ideal crew. High enough to pad the pockets on a win, not high enough to do any damage on a loss.

It’s actually $100…

I’ve gone back and forth a few times on the buy-in but the more I debate it the more I feel like it’s in the sweet spot for my current cast of characters, and my ideal crew. High enough to pad the pockets on a win, not high enough to do any damage on a loss.
Have you ever asked ur group?

Let me just say, having newly minted parents will definitely be a cooler to turnout. There's no way around it. People will definitely get into their groove though. I did. Oh, wait no I haven't.

I'll join the chorus of others with the add cash games to the schedule. It's much more forgiving with start times.

As far as stakes note my signature. As someone said above $50-$100 for a night's entertainment is not much. I spend that at the bar without even trying.

That's a sweet looking set up at Casa Timinater!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom