Tourney Starting stack for 8-10 people (1 Viewer)

Tomahawkz

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first PCF post and I needed some help laying out my tournament starting stack.

I’ve been hosting friendly tournaments but they’ve had no structure and my friends aren’t really experienced however since I bought new chips that aren’t the metal slugged dice ones I want to make it official. For example, my tournament format, since it was all beginners, was all chips were worth the same and everyone starts with 10 of each color (30 total). It just feels to newbie and I want to make it more professional

The buy-in range right now is $5-$10 with a potential of going up. The denominations I bought was 100xT25; 100xT100; 50x500; 25x1000. What should my starting stack be? And also this is a question I’ve always had and it’s about making change, should I have extra chips to make change?

Thank you guys!

welcome

and yes MORE CHIPS is about to be the most common response you will get

Search tournament set ups and you will find more information than you can ever imagine, or just wait and the great people on this forum will give you about 1000 different ways for this to work for you

Take it all in, but remember this is your tournament, take a little from everyone and make it yours

Questions for you
Do you think that number will ever grow?

10 players Starting Stacks 3250
T 25 10
T100 10
T 500 2

Questions for you
How many players do you have? Do you think that number will ever grow?
Thank you for the kind reply! I currently have around 10 people (friends) maximum. That'll probably be the most I'll have since I only have one table. However, If this tournament hosting works out, I may think about expanding to new people.
Search tournament set ups and you will find more information than you can ever imagine, or just wait and the great people on this forum will give you about 1000 different ways for this to work for you
Will do!

Take it all in, but remember this is your tournament, take a little from everyone and make it yours
^^ +1 on This!! There are many here who can tell you more than you've ever considered about perfecting your structure, starting stacks, table, chairs, cards, lighting, drink choices, and hot dog roller (you do have one...right?). I'll let them chime in or as @RowlettTexasChipGuy said...search will reveal mountains of data. Definitely listen to all the great advise but never forget that if something doesn't feel quite right for you...that's OK!

The denominations I bought was 100xT25; 100xT100; 50x500; 25x1000. What should my starting stack be?

With this set I would plan up to 12 stacks of 8/8/4/2 for a T5000 start or 8 stacks of 12/12/5/2 for a T6000 start.

I think these are good formats for what you have. But you could go for more T1000 chips to accommodate more players, rebuys and so forth.

And also this is a question I’ve always had and it’s about making change, should I have extra chips to make change?
It's usually a good idea to have a few spares in a tournament set for replacement, but with low chips at least you don't need to hold them in the bank, you might as well get them all on the table so players can make change as needed.

For higher chips it's a good idea to have some spares for "coloring up" which just means removing low chips from at when they aren't needed in the structure.

@Chris Manzoni explains that in the youtube video.

(He demonstrates using T5000 chips because his tournaments use deeper stacks, you can apply the same principle using T1000 chips though.)

Also worth noting, you will be tight on T1000 chips for color ups if you use the 12 stack suggestion I made above.

So overall I would consider adding T1000 chips if you can at some point, but I think these are decent formats you can use with what you have right now.

Hope all of this helps.

Good luck.

I think your chip set will work fine. My suggestion...

Go with @JustinInMN and have 5k stacks 8/8/4/2

Assuming 10 players, this would leave you with 10 extra 500's (5000) and 5 extra 1000's (5000). After level 6, race off the 25's. I usually ask the big stack to buy up all the 25's, then change out with him using your leftover 500's. Highly doubt you'll ever need to race off the 100's.

If you use a schedule like this, the game would be done around level 12. At 20 min levels, that would mean about 4-5 hours of play.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 2.36.39 PM.png

^^this, and you can completely eliminate levels 10 and 13 to create a more uniform blind increase progression for the duration of the event.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom