SRV tribute set "Rude Mood Saloon" (1 Viewer)

Final design. Waiting for word from CPC that the "Dallas, TX" (above the word Mood) will be readable at that size (I guess it depends on the printer, hoping this is something David can easily answer for me so I'm not taking a risk) and then the order is getting placed :)

I have already created a spreadsheet of those who expressed interest in samples and will make contact to confirm shortly.

Rude Mood Saloon export.png

Except the back is the front and the front is the back but it doesn't really matter :p

Big thanks to @p5woody for the inlay designs! I can highly recommend Steve to anyone looking for help with their design :)

Late to the design party (no idea how I've missed this thead so far), but here's my 2c on some minor details -- take it for what it's worth.

spots:

I don't care for the diagonal spot treatment on the $1 chip in this lineup, especially with the diagonally-placed 212 spots already used on the $100 (which is awesome, btw). I'd go with either vertical or horizontal placement on the $1 for much better flow. However, I really liked stocky's version, which would be a killer workhorse chip (even if you toned it down with weighted white):
doak.jpg

inlays:

On the centered denomination inlay, I would scrap the color-matching and go with a uniform denomination color to pull the set together. I think your butterscotch color used on the $100 chip would be perfect across all denominations, and it's a great and unique color not often used for denoms (sorta like SRV was a great and unique musician), and looks great against the black background. It would also help to tie that hundo into the rest of the lineup. To me, the color-matched denominations are just distracting, bordering on gimmicky. Sometimes simpler is better.

For the hat/face inlay, I'd drop the denominations completely and enlarge the image. The denom is so small as to be basically useless (especially if color-matched on black background), and increasing the image size will make it more prominent on the felt (as it should be).

No matter what you do, make sure you print these out to life-size and put 'em on the felt -- this will give you a good idea of what the real chips will look like in play. I think you will find that some of your current details will get totally lost -- better to find that out now than later. You still have time to make changes before the CPC deadline.

In for a sample set too, if still available. (y) :thumbsup:

Waiting for word from CPC that the "Dallas, TX" (above the word Mood) will be readable at that size

Have you considered bumping it up to a 1" inlay size? The circle-square mold will handle it with no problem. Might give you a little more breathing room on some of the smaller details.

Late to the design party (no idea how I've missed this thead so far), but here's my 2c on some minor details -- take it for what it's worth.

spots:

I don't care for the diagonal spot treatment on the $1 chip in this lineup, especially with the diagonally-placed 212 spots already used on the $100 (which is awesome, btw). I'd go with either vertical or horizontal placement on the $1 for much better flow. However, I really liked stocky's version, which would be a killer workhorse chip (even if you toned it down with weighted white):
View attachment 34932

inlays:

On the centered denomination inlay, I would scrap the color-matching and go with a uniform denomination color to pull the set together. I think your butterscotch color used on the $100 chip would be perfect across all denominations, and it's a great and unique color not often used for denoms (sorta like SRV was a great and unique musician), and looks great against the black background. It would also help to tie that hundo into the rest of the lineup. To me, the color-matched denominations are just distracting, bordering on gimmicky. Sometimes simpler is better.

For the hat/face inlay, I'd drop the denominations completely and enlarge the image. The denom is so small as to be basically useless (especially if color-matched on black background), and increasing the image size will make it more prominent on the felt (as it should be).

No matter what you do, make sure you print these out to life-size and put 'em on the felt -- this will give you a good idea of what the real chips will look like in play. I think you will find that some of your current details will get totally lost -- better to find that out now than later. You still have time to make changes before the CPC deadline.

In for a sample set too, if still available. (y) :thumbsup:

Sage advice. I also want in on a sample set!

@BGinGA - Gotta admit, as I posted the latest update, I did look at the diagonal 2D14 and think it looked slightly odd. Especially next to the $5. It's obviously no big deal to change back to horizontal. It's strange, as much as Puggy's $1 is one of my all time fav chips, I just couldn't find a 3A12 colour combo that worked for me. It was almost 312 (white with all peacock dots) but I preferred the peacock and peach combo, although my partner absolutely hates those colours together!).

As for inlays. LOL if I email Steve asking for another change he'll probably have a heart attack haha. Was really keen to hear feedback on the colours because I wasn't sure about the colour matched denom on the "face" side, although I'm happy with the colours on the back side. It was originally red across the board but we changed to colour matched but perhaps white would work better, OR as you said, just remove it all together. I did think of that but was worried it would cause confusion during play. You've given me some food for though. I could move the denom up to be beside the hat (on the right) and move "Dallas, TX" down below. Or just remove Dallas TX altogether from that side. I'll do a rough mock and see how it looks. Oh gawd, just when I thought I was happy... LOL

As for 1" inlays @Psypher1000, I've definitely considered it. I'm a fan of smaller inlays but perhaps it needs to go that way with this particular design. Hmm.

Damn, I was ready to order HAHA. It's OK - I have a couple of weeks :S

p.s. I don't really fuss about the hundo matching the set because it will literally never hit the table. I'm only ordering a barrel of those for novelty.

Thoughts on BGinGA's idea with the reverse side inlay colours? With brown circles or white or butterscotch (same as denom) ?

Rude Mood Saloon export all butter.png

Edit: in a way it almost fulfills @Junior24xx 's idea for burst inlay from early on :O

I'd go with white circles. Thin line colors on black backgrounds rarely have enough contrast to sufficiently stand out (unless they are a really bright yellow, pink, or light blue). Even at an enlarged view, I can barely see the brown circles above.

Even if you end up sticking with color-matched denominations, I'd make all of the circles white.

Definitely agree with 1" inlays on this. Also agree with white circles across all the chips. Like the brown denom across the board, white or red would work too. I would also drop Dallas tx on the face side. It doesn't add anything and if you go with the larger inlay it may buy you enough room to move the denom up there and make it bigger. I like the color matche denoms on the face side if you keep them.

In for samples too if offered

Just a heads up to those who've shown interest - I've decided to put this on hold. I'm quite embarrassed to admit it stressed me out too much and I was spending way too much time thinking about designs - it got to the point where I felt it was an unhealthy obsession. Then CPC confirmed the current inlay design won't print well at 7/8" so I'm back to the drawing board with inlays. The problem is the grainy hat image and small text on black background, as already discussed. I was so keen to make it work with the current image and became closed-minded to other concepts which made design work really hard. My fault.

The Rude Mood Saloon set will be produced, but not this June. I'm choosing to be ultra fussy since this is a tribute to such a great man.

So now a month or two focusing on other things and I'll come back to this later in the year with a fresh mind.

- Jeremy

Just a heads up to those who've shown interest - I've decided to put this on hold. I'm quite embarrassed to admit it stressed me out too much and I was spending way too much time thinking about designs - it got to the point where I felt it was an unhealthy obsession. Then CPC confirmed the current inlay design won't print well at 7/8" so I'm back to the drawing board with inlays. The problem is the grainy hat image and small text on black background, as already discussed. I was so keen to make it work with the current image and became closed-minded to other concepts which made design work really hard. My fault.

The Rude Mood Saloon set will be produced, but not this June. I'm choosing to be ultra fussy since this is a tribute to such a great man.

So now a month or two focusing on other things and I'll come back to this later in the year with a fresh mind.

- Jeremy
I 'liked' your post because I can relate not that I liked the fact that you are putting this project on hold. :) It is not as easy as some people make it out to be. When you notice that it isn't fun anymore, then it's time to take a break. Looking forward to you picking this back up in the future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom