SRV tribute set "Rude Mood Saloon" (2 Viewers)

doakwolf

Straight
Reaction score
Well I've given up on Doak's Cardroom and decided to go with a Stevie Ray tribute set instead. I joked about it in my other thread but now I'm quite serious about it and think it'll work. SRV means a lot more to me than my silly childhood nickname.

Have done two mock ups and am looking for feedback. Keep in mind, the inlay is a quick mock, I'll be getting them done professionally by J5.

Two mock ups, one budget version and one expensive version. I'm most keen to hear thoughts on the $1 dot colours because my partner hates the butterscotch but I like it. I initially mocked the red and blue being the colours of the Texas flag.

Before anyone asks, the $2.50 and $5.00 will not be on the table at the same time. I tried hard to limit myself to 4 chips but found it impossible. I need more chips. So this set gives me a choice on the night for my 25c/25c or 25c/50c games.

Expensive v1
rude mood v1 exy.png

Expensive v1.1
rude mood v1.1 exy.png

Cheap v1
rude mood v1 cheap.png

Cheap v1.1
rude mood v1.1 cheap.png

Cheers,
Jeremy.

That is as cool as it gets in my opinion. Muscle Shoals And Duane Allman would be pretty cool also.

That's gonna be a greta set Jeremy!! It's a great start already imo...

stevie is the man , nice set

That is as cool as it gets in my opinion. Muscle Shoals And Duane Allman would be pretty cool also.

^^^ SRV and Duane Allman are easily among my top 5 favorite guitar players ever... I remember that discussion with Butler some time ago...

Lookin' good! However, I was amazed at the similarity between light green and light blue. After spending what seemed like forever (in reality maybe five minutes) trying to find one light green chip that had found its way into one of six racks of light blue chips, I redid the light green chips in a different color. I have 3 cans in the ceiling over my table and think there's plenty of good light.

Thanks for the tip, Abby, I'll grab the samples again and check. Might go.with dayglo yellow for the 2.50 instead :)

SRV and Duane Allman are easily among my top 5 favorite guitar players ever... I remember that discussion with Butler some time ago...

Duane is a personal idol on several fronts. Stevie has always been one of those guys who I recognize is huge, but personally just never "got". I've gone through that enough times to know that it's typically a matter a time.

There was a time when I could have said the same thing about Stevie Wonder and now I go through his classic period (Talking Book -> Innervisions -> Fulfillingness' First Finale -> Songs in the Key of Life) at least once a month or so and couldn't imagine living without him.

Butler, have you watched the SRV live at the Montreux Jazz Festival footage? If not, give it a go. 82' and '85 concerts :)

Back to chippies.. Well, I thought I disliked pies but I somehow accidentally mocked up these today and I think they're my fav so far.

rude mood v1.7.png

Not quite sold on the base colour for the $2.50 yet. I kinda want to keep the base colours all "weighted" so they're the same thickness but I do love the dayglo peach. Just not sure it fits the set.

Really need to decide if I like the pies because the 25c and $1 will be the only chips that get regular use at my place. The $2.50 will see some table time and the occasional fiver will come out but not in large quantities. This is part the reason I am adding a $2.50 into the mix. I do like more colours on the table, as do my mates.

Look at little sistah ;)
Awesome idea. And as a fan, I defintely want a sample set. That'll be my pride and joy.

So far looking good.

Thanks, gents! I'll be sure to reserve samples for you both.

Will spend some more time on the chips then get onto inlays ready for the order :)

Liking the 25¢ $1 and $5. The $20 seems out of place though IMO and I agree the $2.50 could use some work.

The $2.50 might benefit from bigger spots (though I know you like smaller spots)

A couple of ideas for you to consider

image.jpg

I'm liking your input, Stocky. Have taken your idea and simplified even more. I guess that dot progression works a bit better, doesn't it :) Good advice. Gee, you can spend lots of time on this, hey!

rude mood v1.8.png

EDIT: Only issue - I'm not sure the $5 and the $20 fit-in quite as well now.

I can see a secondary set in my future with some x18 through the whole set but for the 1st primary set, I simply can't afford it. I still can't believe I'm loving the pies!

Last edited:
Hey Junior, I like that idea!

I've started compiling a bunch of images (incl some of #1) and will get them through to the J5 soon and begin the inlay design process. I appreciate the input and will definitely take it to the design table! :)

Love the idea for this set. SRV was one of the greatest.
How about a sunburst inlay to match his #1 strat?

First involuntary thought I had when I read the first post of this thread was "SUNBURST STRAT HUNDO!!!" T'would be a sweet addition to this awesome-looking set.

Love the SVR concept. You have a larger shot of the inlay? Hard to make out detail.

Hey @johnnycnote , it's just a mock I made in my first use of PS trial. I will be paying a professional to make the actual inlays :)

But here it is for your interest.

Rude Mood v1 $1-01.png

...and that's not what I have planned for the final design. Will probably be quite different :)

Slow process for me. I'm sitting, waiting, desperately hoping the aussie dollar improves before I order!

Last edited:
I'm liking your input, Stocky. Have taken your idea and simplified even more. I guess that dot progression works a bit better, doesn't it :) Good advice. Gee, you can spend lots of time on this, hey!

View attachment 21994

EDIT: Only issue - I'm not sure the $5 and the $20 fit-in quite as well now.

I can see a secondary set in my future with some x18 through the whole set but for the 1st primary set, I simply can't afford it. I still can't believe I'm loving the pies!

I really like this line-up right here and, if you're satisfied w/the inlay, I think it's ship-worthy...with one possible slight change.

I'm not sure I understand the snapper in the lineup. I created one simply because I collect snappers and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have one in my collection that I helped create. I'm not sure I get the purpose for it in your games, though. Why not a $2 chip?

As for the chips themselves, though, I really don't think you need to make any more changes...looks great as-is.

Just think of the awesome licks we would be enjoying right now with Stevie still around. Ship it wolf and sign me up for samples!

You know you're getting a set of samples, James! Will definitely put the offers out there close to production :)

@Psypher1000 I have had the same thought. A $2 is probably more suitable for my game :)

EDIT: bold bits added to be clearer - I think the hundo with 25c inlay is causing confusion.

---

OK looks like this is happening. Production won't be until ~June. Waiting for word from J5 as to where he can fit me in by the deadline. (Again, these inlays will not be used. All I know is, I'm going black inlays and they will definitely be named "Rude Mood Saloon").

I went away and quietly worked on designs alone with feedback taken from both here and on my original "Doak's" thread. I'm now happy with everything but not yet certain which of the following quarters to run with so looking for feedback / opinions.

Now, the brown chip is my hundo - not a 25c candidate. I doubt one will ever hit the table at my 25c/25c PL game but I wanted to work on something as a tribute to Number One. Open to ideas on that but I'm pretty happy so far. The black pick guard with white pickups and brown/butterscotch timber on the body if it's not obvious :p

Other than the hundo, the colours are completely themeless. I went with what I liked for each chip rather than trying to tie to the SRV theme. The inlay/name will hold that task :)

Please comment on either the 212 or the half pie for my 25c chip. I'm keen to hear thoughts on the two.

v1 quarter
v1.png

v2 quarter
v2.png

As for sample requests - I'm keeping it quietly mentioned in here for now. Logistically, seems like a nightmare sending lots of sets from AUS to USA so we'll who's keen. Those who already asked earlier will receive if still interested.

Jeremy.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom