Sriracha poker chips (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge sriracha fan, I buy it by the case. All my friends know this about me so I thought that it's a good theme for my first set of custom ceramics. I've been playing around a little and came up with this. My initial thoughts are that it's a bit simple - please let me know your feedback.

Sriracha Rev1.png

Will these chips stick together really well so that when I go to shake them apart I bet more than I intended to?

I agree, the denom is far too small.

As for denoms on the rolling edge, I've done that on my ceramic set, but it's too small for anything but the sharpest eyes to read. Not pro or con against the rolling edge denom, but helping you be aware.

I like the chip with the white circle better than the one without. It looks more finished.

These will be 43mm ceramics, probably by Gene@ABC. I was thinking blue for the $1, black for the $100 and maybe a white with red print for the frac - colours are not fixed other than red $5.

Not sure about the denom in a circle overlapping the large circle - it looks fine but it's a bit "Paymaster" and don't want to seem derivative.

Sriracha Rev3.png

I like the other sriracha side print over the heart one. Like the updated denom placement. These in white with red/green designs would be great too. Oh man I want

Before I get my hopes up, I have an email out to Huy Fong Foods to ask for permission to use the rooster logo. The name "Sriracha" is not trademarked but the rooster is.

I wouldn't be concerned with reusing the logo. Unless you intend to resell them (and in bulk) the first step would be to send you a "cease and desist" letter. Once the chips are produced you would be easily within compliance of the letter.

If you sat on this project for a year, then yes, they may catch wind and order a halt (alla the Boardwalk chips). But this isn't a group buy. A single person should never punt around an idea that long. If they do, they deserve to have their hopes and dreams smashed.

As for the circle in a circle... It's been done, and not just by the Paymasters.
Gloria.jpg

This was one of my early mock-ups, circa 2008 or 09. I stole the concept from a commemorative (Caesars?) chip I once saw.

Good ideas are good ideas, and will reimagine themselves from time to time.

I wouldn't be concerned with reusing the logo. Unless you intend to resell them (and in bulk) the first step would be to send you a "cease and desist" letter. Once the chips are produced you would be easily within compliance of the letter.
True, and I don't think Huy Fong will bother - I have seen an interview with the owner who repeatedly said that anything promoting his product is free publicity and he doesn't care.

However, I want to get permission so that I can have these made locally and I would expect that the serious vendors will not violate trademarks.

I also would advise you to be careful about text on the rolling edge. It's possible, but it is hard to read. See my example.

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Before I get my hopes up, I have an email out to Huy Fong Foods to ask for permission to use the rooster logo. The name "Sriracha" is not trademarked but the rooster is.

Fun fact: "The name "Sriracha" is considered a generic term since the creator of the Huy Fong Foods sauce, David Tran, did not trademark it."

Taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

And an interesting article regarding his views on trademark. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sriracha-trademark-20150211-story.html#page=1

I remember seeing a documentary on him and his success story. A very humble guy.

Last edited:
Remember to print them out at the size of a chip. Ceramics are notorious for being grainy. I really think you need to see just how small and unreadable the text turns out.

I also think it was better with the rooster facing the denom. It's a rule in publishing: Faces face toward the center of the publication/poster. Shifting the denom to the back moves the centerpoint of the piece to the rooster's butt.

OK if you want the denom to be egg shaped though (though roosters don't lay eggs, so there's that little biological quandary).

Remember to print them out at the size of a chip. Ceramics are notorious for being grainy. I really think you need to see just how small and unreadable the text turns out.

I also think it was better with the rooster facing the denom. It's a rule in publishing: Faces face toward the center of the publication/poster. Shifting the denom to the back moves the centerpoint of the piece to the rooster's butt.

OK if you want the denom to be egg shaped though (though roosters don't lay eggs, so there's that little biological quandary).

I have a 43mm sample from ABC and the printing is very good - there is tiny text that can be read so I'm no so worried about that.

I get your point, it is better with the rooster facing the denom. Perhaps this will help me avoid any trademark issues:
Sriracha Rev7.png

What if you just did the “cool” rooster on your frac or the chip you have the least of as an Easter egg? I’m a big fan of this design. So simple and elegant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom