Spring trip in LA, Vegas & more ! (7 Viewers)

Southern California does have some toll roads that charge automatically to the car driving in them. Most rental cars have a "fastpass" device attached to the front windshield which you can flip open so that the toll roads can read the car and assess the correct fee. You just have to flip it open (Note that if you don't open the fast pass and you use a toll road, you may be assessed a penalty fee much higher than the actual toll which is usually $1-3. Important to note however, is that toll roads are not mandatory. Most of them are on the major freeways and act as a "fast lane" in the center of the freeway. If there is traffic you can pay a toll and get into the fast lane and bypass the traffic. There are a couple segments of freeways which are completely toll roads (all lanes) but there are alternative routes that you can take to avoid having to pay the toll on public roads.

Southern California does have some toll roads that charge automatically to the car driving in them. Most rental cars have a "fastpass" device attached to the front windshield which you can flip open so that the toll roads can read the car and assess the correct fee. You just have to flip it open (Note that if you don't open the fast pass and you use a toll road, you may be assessed a penalty fee much higher than the actual toll which is usually $1-3. Important to note however, is that toll roads are not mandatory. Most of them are on the major freeways and act as a "fast lane" in the center of the freeway. If there is traffic you can pay a toll and get into the fast lane and bypass the traffic. There are a couple segments of freeways which are completely toll roads (all lanes) but there are alternative routes that you can take to avoid having to pay the toll on public roads.

Thanks @timsta007 :)

@Don Clay I don't know if you will have cell phone data service, but if you do, there is an option in Google Maps that allows you to set a route to avoid all toll roads. The only route I ever found this was necessary was between San Diego and Los Angeles. There's a stretch of freeway in Orange County that is a full toll road but it can be avoided (usually for little or no loss of time) by just taking the public (free) freeways.

@Don Clay I don't know if you will have cell phone data service, but if you do, there is an option in Google Maps that allows you to set a route to avoid all toll roads. The only route I ever found this was necessary was between San Diego and Los Angeles. There's a stretch of freeway in Orange County that is a full toll road but it can be avoided (usually for little or no loss of time) by just taking the public (free) freeways.

I will have cell phone data service :)
I will keep carefully your advices !

Hey LA, we're there !

P_20180430_194956_BF_1.jpg

With my GF Julie, at Rainbow Bar & Grill for our first day !

Thank you @slisk250 for the tip :)

Awesome place for our first dinner !!

Cheers !

Hey LA, we're there !

View attachment 171135

With my GF Julie, at Rainbow Bar & Grill for our first day !

Thank you @slisk250 for the tip :)

Awesome place for our first dinner !!

Cheers !

Tell Julie that Kalani says hello! Hope you had a wild time at the Rainbow. There should have been some weird people there for sure. I'll be there in August when I move me son to Occidental College nearby.

If you have a chance, Pink's has great hot dogs but it is usually a long line.

Tell Julie that Kalani says hello! Hope you had a wild time at the Rainbow. There should have been some weird people there for sure. I'll be there in August when I move me son to Occidental College nearby.

If you have a chance, Pink's has great hot dogs but it is usually a long line.

Thank you Mike, hello to Kalani :)

Santa Monica Pier this evening, probably for dinner :D

P_20180501_191806_1.jpg

Ok, you guys have a great country :).

Most of my pictures are stucked in my camera for now.

Here is a quick one, shot on the road with cell phone, a few minutes before reaching Parhump (NV).

P_20180502_144049_1_1.jpg

Parhump looks very nice.
No time to stop there though.

So Flamingo's pool looks more secure than Fort Knox, I couldn't check in for the second time, this time because I would have a "professional" camera...

what the F !

So, we headed to another Hotel's pool, where we could easily get in.
And that's how we had another great afternoon !!
Someone recognizes this awesome place ?

IMG-20180504-WA0000_1_1.jpg

Enjoy your trip Nico.

I will be there with family in the summer (LV, LA & SF) so benefiting from all those tips as well :)

Quick question pls: is it easy to get a data SIM card, and does it work in various states (no extra charges)?

Enjoy your trip Nico.

I will be there with family in the summer (LV, LA & SF) so benefiting from all those tips as well :)

Quick question pls: is it easy to get a data SIM card, and does it work in various states (no extra charges)?

Hey Ralph :)

Thank you very much !

You' ll find easily some data from $20 to $80, depending on what you wanna buy.

if you want, we'll speak on phone a few weeks before you start your holidays (y) :thumbsup:.

N

Enjoy your trip Nico.

RoammobilIty.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom