Spaced foam or merged foam? (1 Viewer)

deeoohhgee

High Hand
Reaction score
i am experimenting with configuring a foam design (for an Apache 4800) to store 1600 chips, in Justin Racks, from MyCaseBuilder.com. i was wondering what peoples' thoughts were on "spacing versus merging" the cutouts in the foam. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• spaced_foam.jpg
    spaced_foam.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 85
  • merged_foam.jpg
    merged_foam.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 92
First, I would put finger holes on both sides.

Second, why not put finger holes along the long edges, which then merge in to the adjacent finger holes? Sorta gives you the best of both worlds. Foam separates the racks, but all spaces marge together.

Depends on the type of foam you're using from mycasebuilder.

If using Ester Foam, which is the type of foam you most see used for Pick-n-Pluck foam, the spacing style will be worthless as the foam is soft. The areas of foam dividers will fail after minimum use. I've moved away from soft PnP type foam all together.

If using the PE Foam (Polyethylene hard cell) the spacing style works fine and will not break down over time.

I've never used the Pro Cell foam so I can;t comment.

I use spacing when storing chips without racks. When storing in racks I use the merged method, but I only use the PE Foam anymore.

with spacing
img_3603a-jpg.683566

Merged style
2b-jpg.702867

4d-jpg.702873

If using Ester Foam, which is the type of foam you most see used for Pick-n-Pluck foam, the spacing style will be worthless as the foam is soft. The areas of foam dividers will fail after minimum use. I've moved away from soft PnP type foam all together.

If using the PE Foam (Polyethylene hard cell) the spacing style works fine and will not break down over time.

I use spacing when storing chips without racks. When storing in racks I use the merged method, but I only use the PE Foam anymore.

with spacing
img_3603a-jpg.683566
What kind of case is this?

I think it's sixes. If you've got room, I would space them if the case allows with what you're trying to fit. The finger grooves would make it really easy to grab the Justin style racks, and since they're lidded, there's no risk to the chips spilling as you're pulling them out of the case. If space doesn't allow, I think the merged would be fine too.

Either way, I'm envious of where you're going with this. I might have to toy around with this moving forward......

First, I would put finger holes on both sides.

Second, why not put finger holes along the long edges, which then merge in to the adjacent finger holes? Sorta gives you the best of both worlds. Foam separates the racks, but all spaces marge together.
Are we still talking about a chip case here?

I prefer spaced. Make sure your finger holes are big enough if you are going more than 1 rack deep.

View attachment 1246824

View attachment 1246825
How did you specify the "top" layer of foam's color? In MyCaseBuilder's design tool i do not see the ability to do so ... so nothing other than black foam i'm guessing. Does color choice come when it's time to "pull the trigger" & you actually place your order. Is it extra?

How did you specify the "top" layer of foam's color? In MyCaseBuilder's design tool i do not see the ability to do so ... so nothing other than black foam i'm guessing. Does color choice come when it's time to "pull the trigger" & you actually place your order. Is it extra?
Didn't cost extra, just a check box when putting in the order.

with spacing
img_3603a-jpg.683566

Merged style

Do you mind sharing the dimensions of these chip slots? I think I'm going to be ordering something similar for my 1000 chip set (39mm Tina's)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom