Sold...... (1 Viewer)

hdgeno

Full House
Reaction score
...my poker table today, one of the last nails in the coffin of the chipping hobby for me:(. Since starting the poker hobby 14 years ago I've always had a poker table, and it already feels empty without it. I've also sold all my sets (still have 4 racks of 10-chip shuffle stacks), got rid of a bunch of cards (still have 10 setups though), and dispersed a bunch of Matsui racks.

I'm going to school in the fall, and we are moving into a small apartment so it was necessary to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Seeing this hobby come to an end isn't easy, I've enjoyed chipping for a long time and it's in my blood. I'm kind of priced out of the hobby, especially now that I know that I'll be going to school, but I am still keeping my eyes peeled for a small Paulson tournament set that doesn't break the bank. Not having any sets just feels too empty, and I don't like the idea of not being able to have a small game if the need arises.

I'm sure I'll still be checking in on PCF, as it's so much a part of my daily routine after all these years. Posted this thread as I need some cheering up.

Very sorry to hear....but going back to school is a good way to find more job & financial security.
Wishing you all the best...and would not mind sending you a loaner set to hold you over for a the time being ?

Just PM me

Many of us have stepped away at times when life forces us to. It doesn’t mean you don’t love the hobby and the game any less though.

When I became a parent and 18 months later a parent of 2 I knew poker would be much less a part of my life. For about 3 years I was lucky If I was able to play a few times per year. But as we learned our way as parents I was able to get back to playing and eventually hosting regularly again.

So don’t look at it as goodbye, but as I’ll see you later.

Dude, I feel for ya. I got my 1st set of non dice chips in 1999, and since then there have been two intervals of time when I had no playable sets. Both times I sold off my collection for one reason or another. Once for a similar reason as you, I was starting grad school and teaching nights at the college for peanuts, had one on the way, and lost my poker room to a nursery. My point is that it's in your blood and although this is a point in your life that poker and chips take a back seat, I'm sure you will be back in action in the future. Good luck in school!

I wish you the best on your future. I imagine being setless feels strange but sounds like you’re taking the necessary steps to move forward.

Best wishes to you going forward @hdgeno. I can imagine going in a different direction after 14 years in a hobby must feel really strange.
I can understand how you feel about prices and such, putting new things together now can feel a bit overwhelming at times.
Hope your new journey with school is a good one and all my best to you.

14 years is a lot of water under the bridge. This hobby has obviously brought you a lot of joy in the past.

I’ve seen things change in the chipping world in the short time that I’ve been here. Going back to school and learning new things can lead to a lot of exciting and rewarding opportunities.

the great thing about chipping is that it’s not going anywhere and you get always check in and/or jump back in at your choosing

All the best!

Wishing you the best. Going back to school must be a bit daunting, but I'm sure you'll excel. Besides, once you decide to come back into the hobby, perhaps our dollar will be strong enough to make it easier to pick up a set.

I hope you were able to hold on to the motorcycle, though.

In time, you will be coming around again, and there will be different chip pursuits sometime in the future. The hobby will exist as long as there are irrational nuts like us to keep it going. And you've still got a wealth of experience to share.

You'll be moving south, then?

Hope you're successful in school, that you come back, and that we're here to greet you when you do.

Do you mind saying what you're going to be studying?

Chin up! I'm wishing you the best! We've sent some chips back and forth over the years, and I'm a bit jealous that you're going back to school. I'd love to do that!

Dang. I’ve been chipping for 13 years and even though the last time I played was two years ago, I can’t imagine not owning any sets. There’s been several times I’ve sold off chips or sets because of financial hardships but I always knew I’d come back. I got laid off last June and haven’t worked since, nor do I have any job lined up, and my wife is pregnant with our fourth. I should have sold off my chips again but I’ve been selling other things haha. I’m sure after schooling and a new career and the pandemic that you come looking for chips again. Best of luck to you.

Thanks all, feeling better about all of this already. Selling it all is for the greater good right now, and eventually maybe I can get back into it again. My wife always says I’m crazy for spending what I did on “colourful circles”.

Best wishes! It's been really hard to quit the place completely, but I'm at a crossroads in the hobby where I simply don't need any more poker chips outside of what I have planned in terms of CPC customs. I had wanted to place an order for my next set this month, but that's going to have to wait given job uncertainty. I want to be sure that I can place the order and continue with the hobby without anything looming or hanging over my head in case I lose my job. I hope you're in a position one day to come back to the hobby and be amazed at what has come to the community in your absence. Take care!

Just saw this Geno!

Wish you nothing but the best my friend. Wish you well with whatever endeavors you are undertaking. Is it related to trades? Are you getting specialized training?

Just sorry you had to sell all your stuff. I recently sold a set and it's always hard to watch nice chips go.

As worm once said, when the money is gone it’s time to move on.

BF088B5F-9340-486A-A493-EE4BA3ED3737.gif

All kidding aside going back to school is a good thing

@viet rounder if you ever decide you want out. I want dibs on your BCC set. I know the inlays are faces of your family but I’m Asian...close enough

Thanks for the compliments. Realistically speaking the only way I would get rid of my Duy’s set is if Paulson opened up to the home market or somehow BCC made a comeback so I can remake a new edition

Good luck! You’re making the right choice without question.

Good luck with school. Chips will be here when you're done and by then think of all the new opportunities and options you'll have!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom