SOLD Snapper Sunday Sale (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the dreaded “your package will be late but still on it’s way” message from USPS. It was supposed to be here yesterday.

Now I wait.
Still waiting on my late package. At least by the time it gets to me, I will have a plan going into tackling these chips.

Picking up some finishing polish or scratch remover tonight! Hoping this works better than the ultrasonic for me...

@boltonguy and @Barberp , are you using a dry cloth with polisher/scratch remover? Applying a lot of it to the cloth? I tried both a polisher and Meguiar's Scratch X scratch remover, and neither worked very well for me.

I laid the cloth down, folded it in half, poured some mother’s scratch remover on the cloth and ran the chip on it in a circular motion for about 10 seconds on each side.

I'm laying a dry cloth on my work surface, folded in 4 to provide a padded base.
Place the chip on the folded cloth.
Put a dime sized dollop on the second scrubbing microfiber cloth and scrub the chip using a circular motion.
Flip chip and scrub some more.

I'm laying a dry cloth on my work surface, folded in 4 to provide a padded base.
Place the chip on the folded cloth.
Put a dime sized dollop on the second scrubbing microfiber cloth and scrub the chip using a circular motion.
Flip chip and scrub some more.
hey thats a pretty good process! :D

@TheChipRoom sitting on the sidelines watching all of us suffer and devise 100 different methods to clean this stuff off...

1612814374925.gif

i actually dont mind cleaning and flattening my small batch. allthough i see why Jim wouldnt want to clean 10,000 of them.

I've got my 2 racks done. Just doing a bit more flattening and will do another cleanup once I hear more from this group as to what works.

I am a little concerned about using a cutting polish as I've seen chemicals mess up chips (fading, structural integrity, etc.). Very interested in long term results.

20210209_182547.jpg

I realize I need better lighting (just a quick snap), but it does show how this pink looks a lot different depending on lighting.

I’m almost done with my first rack but haven’t yet removed all the inlays - just done cleaning and flattening.

here’s what I did:
1. Rinse each barrel several times in very hot water and dish soap and Pat dry. This removed some of the warp and a bit of the yellow but not much. This way they fit in racks at 100 per rack.
2. Scrub with auto cutting compound to remove yellowing. This takes some time one chip at a time plus edges. Even though I am wiping each chip down with a clean microfiber cloth there is still some residue and the edges are still yellowed here and there so
3. Scrub chip and edges with Magic Eraser and rinse in clean water. Pat dry. Now they are really clean and the edges look great. No cutting compound residue.
4. Flatten in oven with wooden screw clamp and 3d3p flattening rack
5. Voila

I think it has probably taken me three to four hours to do one rack.

I’m almost done with my first rack but haven’t yet removed all the inlays - just done cleaning and flattening.

here’s what I did:
1. Rinse each barrel several times in very hot water and dish soap and Pat dry. This removed some of the warp and a bit of the yellow but not much. This way they fit in racks at 100 per rack.
2. Scrub with auto cutting compound to remove yellowing. This takes some time one chip at a time plus edges. Even though I am wiping each chip down with a clean microfiber cloth there is still some residue and the edges are still yellowed here and there so
3. Scrub chip and edges with Magic Eraser and rinse in clean water. Pat dry. Now they are really clean and the edges look great. No cutting compound residue.
4. Flatten in oven with wooden screw clamp and 3d3p flattening rack
5. Voila

I think it has probably taken me three to four hours to do one rack.
Are you able to post a high res pic of a finished chip?

Does the cutting compound affect the sharpness of the edges or the texture of the chips?

Thanks
Grant

Are you able to post a high res pic of a finished chip?

Does the cutting compound affect the sharpness of the edges or the texture of the chips?

Thanks
Grant
I'm not sure how to do that - I can take a pic with my iphone but dont think thats what youre looking for
The cutting compound is a superfine polish - used to remove light swirls from a car's topcoat finish. It definitely doesnt affect the edges, as it isnt sufficiently abrasive. When I look at a chip with a loupe and compare it to a HSI sec $5, all the same textures are evident most notably the texture on the outer rim where the hat and canes are. Cutting compound should have the same effect as magic erasers - both are very fine abrasives. I think the cutting compound works better as the abrasive material is held in a suspension and the yellow gets pulled into that suspension while with the magic eraser the yellow just gets pushed around the chip. I *think* the cutting compound is neutral where flitz will lift tarnish from brass and so is more reactive - probably not good long term as you note.
I have an ultrasonic coming tomorrow so can compare the outcome.

I'm not sure how to do that - I can take a pic with my iphone but dont think thats what youre looking for
The cutting compound is a superfine polish - used to remove light swirls from a car's topcoat finish. It definitely doesnt affect the edges, as it isnt sufficiently abrasive. When I look at a chip with a loupe and compare it to a HSI sec $5, all the same textures are evident most notably the texture on the outer rim where the hat and canes are. Cutting compound should have the same effect as magic erasers - both are very fine abrasives. I think the cutting compound works better as the abrasive material is held in a suspension and the yellow gets pulled into that suspension while with the magic eraser the yellow just gets pushed around the chip. I *think* the cutting compound is neutral where flitz will lift tarnish from brass and so is more reactive - probably not good long term as you note.
I have an ultrasonic coming tomorrow so can compare the outcome.
Thanks for the feedback. To confirm, which cutting compound were you using?

Mine are still lost in the mail. I am hoping by the time they arrive, you scientists have figured out the magic pill.

I tried some cut compound today. I suspect it is taking a lot more of the chip away than the magic eraser does (based on amount of pink on cloth and general feel of chip after). I need to experiment a bit more when I have more time next week.

I’m using the ultrasonic for the rest of the chips. It takes a bit longer doing five chips at a time but it’s less labor. They come out sparkling clean

I’m using a drizzle of dishwashing liquid in tap water and cleaning at 50c for five minutes. Row of five right down the middle come out clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom