Situation at homegame (1 Viewer)

Your friend sounds a lot like Phil Helmuth. Great when winning and a dbag when losing. Also nitty and has no gambol.
Not unlike PH, I agree. I have also heard mr manbaby berate poor plays/players sometimes. He’s the most experienced player at my game, but I don’t think he’s super good. Kind of old school

There are no rules being broken? so no problem there.

Kick him to the curb it might hurt losing the people that came with him, but what he did taking them all out of the game cause of his tanty is just shameful.

"I get back a long answer about how it’s my responsibility as a host to make sure the game stays as announced. He feels I took advantage of the situation with the dark raises by making big raises on top of them and that that made the game uncomfortable for the rest. (This the first I hear of it from anyone). Now he doesn’t want to play in my game anymore and the same goes for one of the players he brought in."

That is so narcissistic. The worst bit is he is telling you its your fault? He made his problem yours. then adds everyone feels the same way???? id really like to ask them. Basically he is saying ill take out me and a whole lot of players if i don't win? How insulting is that? I would be livid. He is holding the game to ransom if he loses. Dont buy into any BS he has to say. This is a page out of Amber Herds playbook. I am disgusted. Why do you take this from this person? I would not take that from anyone. period.

It IS as announced. No rules are being broken. UTG can go all in every time he is UTG if he chooses to. that is the game. you say he is most experienced at the game?? Clearly he is not. What a asshat.

Your primary job as host is to enforce rules. None were broken. You did everything right.

People want to have fun at games. if there's enough tantrums people will slowly drop off and your game dies.

Keeping him in the game is poison. HE needs to apologize to you and beg forgiveness. any normal person would.

Kick him to the curb. Any friend of mine gets to do that once. If there is no heartfelt apology afterwards then that's the only time they get to do that to me. so if that happened at my game he wouldn't be welcome at my game ever again and i would not be a friend of his anymore.

That's just disgusting behavior.

Welcome to hosting….. if they are not crapping up the place, the squirrels are always complaining about something ….. this game plays too big, this game plays too small, why cap the straddle, make the bags bigger, game plays to slow, to fast, why are we playing 9, we hate 9, we hate 7, we hate 6, we hate 5, this guy is too tight, that guy is a nut, we need to start earlier (yet nobody comes on time, ever), we play too late - but why are people leaving early, why Italian food, why subs, why can we get sushi (okay, buddy, u r banned), why don’t u ever have Fresca (who the fuck drinks Fresca?!?), why no fat free whipped cream (really?!?), it’s too cold down here, it’s too hot down here……. On and on. It wouldn’t be a poker night if someone wasn’t complaining ……

Just being my blunt self as I'm half asleep, so plz don't think I'm intentionally being a mega dick....

...but your good player isn't acting like a good player. A good player should love dark raises without getting the option. Throw in money on random cards....

And once he slammed my chips once, he would be invited to fuck right off and stand in the corner until he bought me a case of Fresca to appease the poker gods.

Welcome to hosting….. if they are not crapping up the place, the squirrels are always complaining about something ….. this game plays too big, this game plays too small, why cap the straddle, make the bags bigger, game plays to slow, to fast, why are we playing 9, we hate 9, we hate 7, we hate 6, we hate 5, this guy is too tight, that guy is a nut, we need to start earlier (yet nobody comes on time, ever), we play too late - but why are people leaving early, why Italian food, why subs, why can we get sushi (okay, buddy, u r banned), why don’t u ever have Fresca (who the fuck drinks Fresca?!?), why no fat free whipped cream (really?!?), it’s too cold down here, it’s too hot down here……. On and on. It wouldn’t be a poker night if someone wasn’t complaining ……
You had me until “who the fuck drinks Fresca” … all the cool kids do. Nothing tastes like Fresca, man.

You attack ME!!? We are going to have a TALK in DALLAS where we discuss your ATTITUDE and most likely get DRUNK while I lose at POKER and I'm gonna make you drink a FRESCA.
I will have you know I kept looking for regular Fresca and all i could find was grapefruit Fresca. It took me a while to realize that that Fresca is a grapefruit soda …… yuck.

Your primary job as host is to enforce rules. None were broken. You did everything right.
I'm not saying host did anything wrong. And I'm not defending this tantrum guy. And I'm not defending a no straddle rule either.
That said, when there's a rule against straddles, and one guy starts raising blind 5x every time he's UTG, that's not perfect behavior either, and may require a response from the host at some point.
I think everybody is focusing too much on the baby chip slammer, because he's an easy target. Nobody has anything to say about the guy who's obviously skirting the no straddle rule? He's just sort of flaunting his will against the rules of the game, and nobody has a single thing to say about that?

"We don't do straddles here"
"Eff you, I'm gonna 5x it every time, blind, and you can't stop me"
Nobody has anything to say about that?

I will have you know I kept looking for regular Fresca and all i could find was grapefruit Fresca. It took me a while to realize that that Fresca is a grapefruit soda …… yuck.
The funny part is, I hate grapefruit. Can't stand it. But Fresca.... It's so refreshing

I agree with the majority opinion: kick him to the curb.

He's tilting; I get that part. But slamming the chips on the table is downright disrespectful to the host. What if he broke a chip? Would he have paid for it?

Dude is acting like Player X from "Molly's Game". Let him walk and take his players. Then, you fill the game with replacements and make sure the game is good enough to be heard all the way to Rodeo Drive.

I'm not saying host did anything wrong. And I'm not defending this tantrum guy. And I'm not defending a no straddle rule either.
That said, when there's a rule against straddles, and one guy starts raising blind 5x every time he's UTG, that's not perfect behavior either, and may require a response from the host at some point.
I think everybody is focusing too much on the baby chip slammer, because he's an easy target. Nobody has anything to say about the guy who's obviously skirting the no straddle rule? He's just sort of flaunting his will against the rules of the game, and nobody has a single thing to say about that?

There is a key difference between straddling and betting dark. Admittedly they both make the game bigger, but if someone wants to throw their money away, so be it. I don’t view betting dark UTG as flouting the no straddle rule.

Not unlike PH, I agree. I have also heard mr manbaby berate poor plays/players sometimes. He’s the most experienced player at my game, but I don’t think he’s super good. Kind of old school

God even worse Ugh... What a dik.

3betting the blind raises is probably the most effective way of “dealing with it”, host or not.

Also, posting a blind raise that doesn’t come with the privileges of a straddle is just posting dead money to the pot.

We welcome action players and we don’t cater to nits.

I hear you. But your saying you can only call UTG? So you cant raise utg with AA? what sort of rule is that?

sorry went off half cocked.

I think you createrd a rod for your own back here. the difference between a straddle and a raise is if you look or not. making a rule about it was the first mistake. A bets a bet if you look or not. Its stupid to not look but there is no rule anywhere you can find that precludes this. But u tried. you could talk to the guy but how do you approach it? Its pretty obvious he is saying ill show you but its not rule breaking.

Now onto the asshat.

We are focusing on the asshat because we are trying to help you. He has to go or your game will die. Sorry to be blunt but its true.

Last edited:
There is a key difference between straddling and betting dark. Admittedly they both make the game bigger, but if someone wants to throw their money away, so be it. I don’t view betting dark UTG as flouting the no straddle rule.
100%.

No straddling means that UTG doesnt get to act again preflop unless action reopened. It doesn’t mean the UTG can’t raise their entire range preflop

Just like tournaments, tournaments don’t allow straddles, but you can raise however much you want UTG, and you definitely don’t have to look at your cards first

The funny part is, I hate grapefruit. Can't stand it. But Fresca.... It's so refreshing
There is your Fresca …… nobody has ever had a can of it, ever. If you pay shipping, I will send you everything I have…..
DDCC81DC-2322-4E2D-B455-55D4C96AEF3F.jpeg

I hear you. But your saying you can only call UTG? So you cant raise utg with AA? what sort of rule is that?
No, maybe I’m just pointing out the futility of a no straddle rule.
I don’t have an answer.
But there’s a no straddle rule, presumably to keep the game playing smaller. This guy seems to be trying his hardest to make the game play bigger. Those two things are in conflict, and I think it’s worth more discussion than it’s getting here.

100%.

No straddling means that UTG doesnt get to act again preflop unless action reopened. It doesn’t mean the UTG can’t raise their entire range preflop

Just like tournaments, tournaments don’t allow straddles, but you can raise however much you want UTG, and you definitely don’t have to look at your cards first
I don’t disagree. But this post seemed more like a question about hosting, than a question about the rules.

Yes. But that’s my question - was this no straddle rule in place for just that one player (the crybaby chip slammer) or was it there for other players too?
No it was not for him. He himself hosts a 5/10 uncapped game that plays pretty big

No, maybe I’m just pointing out the futility of a no straddle rule.
I don’t have an answer.
But there’s a no straddle rule, presumably to keep the game playing smaller. This guy seems to be trying his hardest to make the game play bigger. Those two things are in conflict, and I think it’s worth more discussion than it’s getting here.
You are correct, but I'd say the NITs mishandling of the situation isn't making that the conversation. If he would have pulled him aside and said his concerns, then that's the topic. But acting out and blowing up, his actions are the concern.

Hosting a weekly game, people don't realize how much of a pain in the ass it really is. I get texts weekly from players with comments and wants but no one realizes that most everyone does it. It really does become a situation where you can't make everyone happy, so you guide the ship the safest route.

But, heck, even I blow up at this shit sometimes. Human nature is human nature.

Sounds like you have it figured out already.

It's tough hosting. I think others have put it best: if your game is not growing its dying.

Hopefully you can recruit some new players who are normal decent people - this is seemingly becoming harder and harder to accomplish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom