Shuffle Ahead/Behind Poll (1 Viewer)

Do you prefer to shuffle Ahead or Behind?

• Ahead

• Behind

• Who Cares

• Get a dealer already!

Results are only viewable after voting.

derekdd23

Flush
Reaction score
Up until MiM i had never shuffled behind in a home game even though i have played in many different games over the years. I have now spent a bunch of hours on the other side of the coin and am curious as to what people prefer.

Always behind. Clean up your mess, pass to the player on the left who cuts, then finally pass once more to another player who deals. Three players handling the deck makes it much more difficult to cheat. The only time I hate this system is when it is 4 handed and there is a nit UTG who has to act/shuffler at the same time.

I don't have a preference but when I host we shuffle behind. Clean up your mess, pass to the left for a cut, pass cut deck to new dealer.

giphy.gif

I can't grasp how anyone prefers shuffle ahead... when done properly shuffling behind is so smooth it may as well be unnoticeable.

Deal the cards.

Unless the guy behind you is slow, at some point between the deal and the flop the guy shuffling behind you should be done. If he's done, cut the next deck and place it to your left for the next dealer. If the guy behind you is slow do this step between the flop and turn.

Finish the hand, pull in the remaining cards, shuffle them and place the deck with cut card on top to your left.

You're done until it's your turn to deal again.

Always behind, but I this summer, I played in a tournament that shuffled ahead.

Shuffling behind makes sense for the reasons stated. But the advantage of shuffling ahead is that the SB acts after the button, and because the SB is already in the pot and acts late PF, his action is generally an easier decision than the button.

Both systems have their flaws short-handed.

I've always shuffled ahead in my games. Will test out shuffling behind.

Played in a new home game last weekend and they had dedicated dealers (who were also players), button shuffles and cuts the next deck. I liked that system as a dedicated dealer can help move things along as well. I have a few players who can get very chatty and deal pretty slowly and don't call the action.

Always behind. Clean up your mess, pass to the player on the left who cuts, then finally pass once more to another player who deals. Three players handling the deck makes it much more difficult to cheat. The only time I hate this system is when it is 4 handed and there is a nit UTG who has to act/shuffler at the same time.

I always tell people in my games that if they can manipulate the shuffle and cheat then they are in the wrong game. Cheating us out of a few hundred dollars at most is a piss poor way to make a living.

Shuffling behind is a no brainer. When you're dealing, and responsible for the upcoming shuffle, you manage the cards, discards, muck, stub, etc to accommodate an easier transition to shuffle. Watch where the cards go in a shuffle ahead game... everywhere.

I'm still a shuffle ahead-er. I understand why you might like shuffle behind but after shuffling behind for 20+ hours at MiM I still much prefer shuffle ahead.

IPlayed in a new home game last weekend and they had dedicated dealers (who were also players), button shuffles and cuts the next deck. I liked that system as a dedicated dealer can help move things along as well. I have a few players who can get very chatty and deal pretty slowly and don't call the action.

In our games, when a cash player busts out but a cash game hasn't started yet, that person may offer to deal. In those situations, the shuffle will rotate (still one behind the dealer) and we'll eliminate a cut card.

I can't grasp how anyone prefers shuffle ahead... when done properly shuffling behind is so smooth it may as well be unnoticeable.

Deal the cards.

Unless the guy behind you is slow, at some point between the deal and the flop the guy shuffling behind you should be done. If he's done, cut the next deck and place it to your left for the next dealer. If the guy behind you is slow do this step between the flop and turn.

Finish the hand, pull in the remaining cards, shuffle them and place the deck with cut card on top to your left.

You're done until it's your turn to deal again.
Shuffling behind is a no brainer. When you're dealing, and responsible for the upcoming shuffle, you manage the cards, discards, muck, stub, etc to accommodate an easier transition to shuffle. Watch where the cards go in a shuffle ahead game... everywhere.

Shuffle behind by a country mile... For all the reason above.

Last edited:

It is THAT ^^^^ simple!

Also, if the player who just dealt is not raking a huge pot, the shuffling should be done even before he touches his new hole cards. The currently dealer then cuts the decks as he finishes dealing the hole cards and puts the deck to his left. The second the hand is over, the deck is ready for the new dealer to get going.

My games started with shuffle-ahead ... we just didn't know any better. After being introduced to shuffle-behind a couple years ago, I never looked back. Much smoother/faster.

I play in games that do it both ways. No biggie.

The real question is. Does two decks slow the game down? @WedgeRock @Azcat

2 deck, or not 2 deck. That is the question.
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous misdeals,
Or to take arms against a sea of irregularities, and by opposing end them......

Don't care... I shuffle in between hands... Oh, I have a dealer across from me and we are in the middle, I deal a hand, other person shuffles then deals, I then shuffle while he is dealing and so on... I dont have to worry about players shuffling all weird or on the floor, also the ends of the table NEVER have to deal....

Why doesn't everyone do this??????;)

Having the BB shuffle makes more sense to me for these reasons:
- most importantly: not passing the cards in front of the current dealer when done shuffling
- there is more time before the action is on the BB vs the cutoff
- there is something satisfying about being done with the cards when you are done dealing

As far as gathering the cards after the deal is done, how hard is it for the BB to collect cards vs the dealer? Things went much smoother when I transitioned from shuffling from behind to ahead.

Having the BB shuffle makes more sense to me for these reasons:
- most importantly: not passing the cards in front of the current dealer when done shuffling

Put the cards next to the current dealer (off to the side). When the current hand is done, he will cut and pass them to his left. No need to reach in front of him.

As far as gathering the cards after the deal is done, how hard is it for the BB to collect cards vs the dealer?

The point is, that when YOURE dealing, YOU can best control where the cards and muck go. It's easier to collect them when the cards are sitting in a pile already in front of you.

My games have never had a fixed rule. We always run two decks. And there's almost always a deck ready to cut and deal.

On the very rare occasions where the other deck was squared up but never shuffled... I can shuffle and cut it in well under ten seconds. It's just not a problem.

Personally, I don't like the deck getting cut ahead of time. (Technically, that's bad for game security.) In my games, whoever shuffles puts the cover card on top of the deck and passes it to whoever will be next to deal. When the current hand ends, someone next to the dealer will pull off the cover card and cut onto it - or else the new dealer will pull off the cover card while offering the deck to someone else to cut... and we're off.

The most important hard-and-fast rule, for me, is that the dealer cannot both cut and deal. The same person can even shuffle and deal, as long as someone else does the cut (which must be a single overhand cut.)

But as to who shuffles? Doesn't matter. No rule. it just gets done, and I'm always a bit surprised when there's (yet another) thread with such strong opinions for one way versus another when I find we don't need a formal "way" at all!

Last edited:
And then hand them to someone to shuffle. :rolleyes:

How often does THaT actually happen tho...

too often the muck and discards are all over the place. With shuffling behind, The dealer has a vested interest in keeping everything neat and orderly. When the hand is over (in a shuffle ahead scenario) the dealer has no requirement to be gathering cards to pass onto the BB.

In a self deal game, seems to feel more natural to shuffle after you've dealt.

With a dedicated dealer i dont care when i shuffle.

Behind only for all the obvious reasons already stated. Although i'm sure shuffling ahead can be run smooth as well, the reason for either is the same - to have cards ready for the next hand to start.
BUT all the cool kids do it from behind. :sneaky:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom