Votes: 26 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

p5woody

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Playing in home tournament. 7 players with starting stacks of 10,000 - down to 4 players. Blinds are 500/1000

I am in the big blind with a stack of about 25,000. First two players fold and the small blind shoves all in dark with 7000 (SB just lost two flips in a row to a short stack). The other two players have stacks of around 30,000 and 7000.

We pay top two and all remaining players are similar skill level, we have played together for years.

Should you call a blind shove with Q,10 off?

Call. Not only is QTo a slim favorite vs a random hand, but Hero also is risking 6,000 to win 14,000 rather than getting even money on the blind bet. Hero is going to face all sorts of ambiguous decisions in the next few orbits while this choice is relatively straight forward.

Hero is getting a shot at breaking one of the two short stacks and should take it. The tournament has reach that moment where players fold or shove or call.

Go get 'em tiger -=- DrStrange

If he truly shoved blind, call - otherwise fold.

WOW! I thought this was a more Interesting spot but I guess not. FYI - I was sitting where I could see the SB and I know for sure he shoved without looking at his cards. I thought it was a much closer decision. My thought process was Q7 is better then 50% of any random hand, so I assumed Q,10 wouldn't be a whole lot better. Did I really want to risk doubling up a short stack with maybe a 55/45 advantage?

So would you call with any two cards in this situation or would you need Q7 or better?

Hero is getting to risk 6 and win 14. He only needs 43% equity for this to be a fair bet in a cash game. "any two cards" is not Hero's calling range. There are lots of low cards hands where hero has somewhat less than 43% equity vs a random hand and should fold. 23o is worse than 72o all in vs a random hand - basically the lower cards, the worse the hand.

Tournament math is not a direct analog to cash game math. However I think Q7o+ gives hero at least 50/50 odds when he is putting only 6 parts of 14 at risk.

I'd call, as mentioned QTo is going to do well enough heads up BvB.

I'm calling with any pocket pair, most face cards with an 8+ maybe face cards with 5-6+ if I'm suited. Something around that range.

Absolutely call here. I have a regular that does shit all the time. It's how to guage whether or not he's truly tilted and i'm reading him right. He is an ultra loose, aggressive player but often is tremendously lucky and has great hands. I encourage rather publicly the rational to calling an all-in shove blind. 1.) I do it to discourage this kind of play. For some reason when he manages to pull off an upset and win it creates anger for the loser. 2.) If he rightly loses it serves a reminder to all that it is more or less just about the dumbest play you can make. Especially if he's called with garbage.
It's a tough play though. Nobody wants to lose to somebody who doesnt even know what hes holding.. :rolleyes:

You'd also still be in a semi-OK situation even if you lost, with about 18 BB. You wouldn't be putting yourself in a seriously desperate position quite yet.

I thought Q9o was the median hand, making it basically a coin flip as to whether or not you're ahead or behind. It's true that you could lose and still have a playable stack. I would call if the knockout would put me in the money. Otherwise I think I find a fold here.

Call all day. You stand to be decently ahead of two random cards, and you're getting 4:3 on your call. You're risking a significant portion of your stack, but we're talking a 7-man home tourney here, so your "tournament life" is really not a big deal. You could call even lighter than Q7o if you're feeling gambley, and still be getting a good price.

5-10c fixed limit? Even I could play for a couple hours and only lose $10 :D

Don't be deceived. I've played $0.05/$0.10 circus games, expecting a fun little game for a few bucks, and we ended up playing like 5,000 BB nosebleed poker with quintuple straddles.

Don't be deceived. I've played $0.05/$0.10 circus games, expecting a fun little game for a few bucks, and we ended up playing like 5,000 BB nosebleed poker with quintuple straddles.

If your 10¢ game reaches $500, you have left the flea circus and hopped onto the big dog.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom