Should I be pissed about these warped chips from eBay? (3 Viewers)

I would have been mildly pissed. Might have asked to return them, or figure it's not worth the effort. I'm glad that at least you got what you needed.

My mailbox is Kool & the Gang, baby. A slot in the door of a mostly underground garage.
And just thinking about how the mail is moved, I'm not buying a delivery truck at all, and I'm not sure about a trailer, either.
But, thinking the whole process through, there's definitly one way I could easily accept that it could happen. If somebody dropped the package in a blue curbside mailbox for pickup, yes, I bet it could get hot enough in there.

I'm thinking in generalities because this is a common issue. So, I posed the question to Ms. Google. Here is a typical response:

Nope.

They generally have a pretty good fan, with duct work extending the length of the vehicle, so the air is not coming directly from the vehicle's hot engine.

Honestly, I think it would be counterproductive to have AC in those vehicles. They are little more than a tin can, with absolutely NO insulation, and the huge windows are usually open on both sides. Plus, as long as it's safe, we can roll with the door open as well. (Of course, the PO has defined, pretty clearly, what a “safe situation” looks like)

Also, with all the stopping and starting, there's no way (I believe) to keep an Air Conditioning functioning on a consistent basis. Maintenance for it would eat into time needed to fix more important safety issues, like breaks or replacing bald tires. The official “mail trucks” are maintained by a Vehicle Maintainable Facility (VMF), which serves all the vehicles in their local area. Their management has been instructed to limit hours just like (apparently) everybody else.
https://www.quora.com/Do-US-mail-trucks-not-have-air-conditioning

This post includes more information that I didn't share here.

This is what my mailbox looks like:

1597112241915.png

It's about a short city block down the street. I check USPS Informed Delivery to find out if anything interesting was delivered.

Warping can definitely occur during shipping. I have received brand new chips (sample set) that arrived horribly warped in their four day summertime transit from east coast to deep south.

Wow.
Okay should we start wrapping our chips in fiberglass insulation, instead of bubble wrap?

Styrofoam-lined box:

Foam-lined-box-003-trans.jpg

with one of these inside:

51myg1-gJtL._AC_.jpg

Plus the normal complement of double-boxed, packing foam, bubble wrap, etc.

It makes you think. I wonder if a box of chips, taped up tightly, would be safer than singles taped flat to cardboard. Like, I’m thinking it would that more heat a longer time to heat up a barrel or a box than singles?

Poor motswari
Mike must have sent them straight from his honeymoon safari.

Honestly though it gives them character, I really like them as is. It's interesting seeing what heat can do to a chip. And what better set for it to happen to then a safari themed chip!

It makes you think. I wonder if a box of chips, taped up tightly, would be safer than singles taped flat to cardboard. Like, I’m thinking it would that more heat a longer time to heat up a barrel or a box than singles?
I think so. I've never had anything else warp in shipping.

Though I try to avoid shipping anything in Aussie summer now.

I think so. I've never had anything else warp in shipping.

Though I try to avoid shipping anything in Aussie summer now.
There was also a pauson no mold/gemaco promotional chip in the same package and the heat didn't effect it like it did with the CPCs.

Just letting people know for science.

My severely warped sample set chips were CPC.

Lots of replies already.

I would politely educate him. That next time he should mention they were warped in the ad. It makes a difference in valuation, and may even have turned you off the purchase completely.

At the very least, this should make him pay more attention next time. Hopefully anyway.

When he said “like new,” that pretty clearly implies “not warped.”
Yeah, that's kinda why I was pissy. And to be honest, sometimes Paulson hot stamps do come warped, new. But even if those chips were flat, we wouldn't call them "like new." I don't even think many of us here would call them Near Mint, even if they were flat. Look at those edges - they're not particularly sharp. Maybe that's what was really pissing me off all along. This guy either doesn't know chips or intentionally misrepresented them. And either way, it's pretty much on me for buying them. (And BTW, that's why I get annoyed when newbs ask "what's the condition of these chips," because words don't matter. Pictures speak, and I should have asked for more, if I really cared what I was buying.)
9FBAD303-2DEA-408D-A918-B5411273AF8A.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom