Should I be pissed about these warped chips from eBay? (3 Viewers)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I hesitate to publish this because I haven’t tried to contact the seller about it, but this is more of a general bitch, and a shame on me, than anything else.
He listed 9 fracs as “have been used it live play” and they were pictured laying flat.
B1F9B083-1EB0-49C9-A509-93BCD61BCDEC.png

When I made an offer, he countered with :

1530B08B-14CE-4E93-A4F0-D39F91F66573.jpeg
So I bought them.
Got them today, and of the 9 chips, one was flat, two were almost flat, and the remaining 6 varied between warped and warped to hell.
Now, this guy never said they weren't warped. The listing didn’t show any deceiving pictures.
And as far as his reply to me, yeah, the edges are sharp enough. Are they “like new? Close enough, I suppose. But they’re warped to hell. I wouldn’t sell warped chips without mentioning it in the ad, and in communications with a buyer.
This is just a minor annoyance - not a huge deal. But the question is, should I feel like I was deceived?

I would be annoyed but it’s hard to tell if they’re warped in that pic. Would need pics in a stack to really tell how warped chips are.

Have you tried clamping them for a few days?

They might flatten out.
Thanks, I'm aware of all the flattening methods. I haven't tried yet; maybe I will. But the point of this is - is this a normal, fair transaction, or should I be pissed?
Like, I know hot stamped chips can be warped. But I fee like somebody cherry picked a rack and sent me all the rejects.

I too would be displeased. Your options are probably return them or flatten them. If you can flatten them then that's probably your best choice.

edit: its shady to not disclose

Thanks, I'm aware of all the flattening methods. I haven't tried yet; maybe I will. But the point of this is - is this a normal, fair transaction, or should I be pissed?
Like, I know hot stamped chips can be warped. But I fee like somebody cherry picked a rack and sent me all the rejects.
I think I'd be pissed. But if you didn't get them from a chipper, it's something they might not know anything about. I'd message. But if you don't want a full refund and return the chips, I think flattening is the option.

yeah is he the type of seller (based on previous sales or current listings) who would know what warped is and how to detect it? if so, screw that guy. if not, meh, shit happens i guess.

I've bought from that seller before, and he seemed pretty straightforward and reasonable. Maybe reach out and see what he says.

Totally lame to do that so someone, definitely deceived you by not mentioning they are warped. That behavior would not last long here but on eBay who knows. I would definitely voice my displeasure with the seller. Maybe even give a negative review if you are not satisfied with the conversation, but give the seller a chance to make good first.

There's always the put them aside and forget about them and then someday sell them (fully disclosing their condition, of course.) option.
I've used that move so many times. Like a year later I'm like... "Crap, I got a fix those and sell them"

How were they shipped -- flat, or in a stack?

If flat, the seller may not have even known they were warped.

I'd be disappointed, at the very least.

yeah is he the type of seller (based on previous sales or current listings) who would know what warped is and how to detect it? if so, screw that guy. if not, meh, shit happens i guess.
He sells a lot of chips. I don't know if he's an expert.
Honestly, I don't care. I bought a lot of 9, but I only needed 3 to complete my barrel, which was the goal. I got 3 chips that I'd consider playable, so I'm moving on. Maybe salty, maybe out a few more bucks than I should be, but I'm not looking for a remedy here, just opinions.

is this a normal, fair transaction, or should I be pissed?

Generally, the rule of thumb is buyer beware. It is the buyers responsible to ask questions and verify the condition and details of what they are buying. PCF is nice since we have a little community here with more accountability. If I got these from eBay I wouldn't like it but I would take my lumps. You can expect much worse from people that don't know or care about chips.

Disappointed? Yup. Pissed off? Well, maybe at yourself. Unless you ask to see them stacked from various angles, you run the risk of getting exactly what was received. As Dave indicated, the seller may not have had a clue. Reach out to him directly for resolution. If you're not satisfied with whatever resolution he offers, you can always try to dispute the sale through eBay. Since he did post pics (although didn't specifically state they were warped) and you didn't ask, you've got roughly a coin toss of a chance of getting the transaction reversed, plus a little more since eBay disputes tend to favor the buyer...so maybe a 60-65% chance at success. Regardless, I tend to agree with @Lemonzest on this - when it comes to eBay and strangers, it's on the buyer to do their due dilligence.

It’s been hot. I wouldn’t be surprised if they warped in transit. I received some clay chips recently that were warped due to heat.
I guess I would be surprised. I saw your post the other day about that and it left me scratching my head. Only because I can't remember ever reading about it before. Is this a documented phenomenon (in shipping?) I've had thousands of chips shipped to me in the summertime, and I can't remember ever receiving warped inlaid paulsons. Hot stamps, yes, the get warped in the manufacturing process. Somebody who left their chips on their dashboard in a car in the sun, yes, it happens. But in regular shipping?

I highly doubt this happened en route. These are old chips...just my 2c.

As a frac collector it happens to me all the time!! Those are far from what I called warped to hell. I have recieved some that 18 wouldn't fit in a barrel and were sold as dead mint!! They were literally shaped like Bananas!!! It makes me sick. Everyone always wants to give the benefit of the doubt but when chips are that bad it is obvious as hell!!

There are vendors here that think it is fine to sell chips like that with no mention of the warping. All I can say is rather than hoping people will be honest as mentioned above ask for stacked in rack pictures with photos from directly above the chips!

Those will probably never be perfectly flat but I can help you get them back to mostly flat and absolutely usable. We all have flattening methods, mine works pretty well if you need any help reach out buddy!!

Absolutely you should be upset!! Unfortunately I don't think it will change!!

If you only need a few to finish out a rack, let me know I have some of those!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Those are pretty bad. I think i would send them back or ask for a discount if its easier. I would think an experienced chipper should have known better, but maybe he wasn't paying attention? Not sure, but if you put them on a flat surface you can tell if the chip lays flat. Some non-chip eBay sellers may not know better.

If you only need a few to finish out a rack, let me know I have some of those!
Thanks buddy, no, I was only looking to finish a barrel, which I've done even without the warped ones. Barreling forward on a project that I suspect I may hate. But what the heck - if it keeps packages coming to my mailbox, it's worth doing, right?

USPS delivery trucks are not air conditioned, and I doubt that the trailers used to haul mail are cooled, either. Who knows what perils our precious chippies endure during their travels. Another consideration is the location of your mailbox. I try to avoid shipping and receiving when the weather.

Got these a while back on eBay listed as mint. I was lucky the seller made good and sent me a few extra that were still warped but not nearly as bad.
20200810_211933.jpg

How difficult is it to say "most chips are mint but a few are warped pretty bad...here is a picture of the warped ones" I would never pass this off as mint even if it was on eBay sold to complete strangers.

Last edited:
USPS delivery trucks are not air conditioned, and I doubt that the trailers used to haul mail are cooled, either. Who knows what perils our precious chippies endure during their travels. Another consideration is the location of your mailbox. I try to avoid shipping and receiving when the weather.
My mailbox is Kool & the Gang, baby. A slot in the door of a mostly underground garage.
And just thinking about how the mail is moved, I'm not buying a delivery truck at all, and I'm not sure about a trailer, either.
But, thinking the whole process through, there's definitly one way I could easily accept that it could happen. If somebody dropped the package in a blue curbside mailbox for pickup, yes, I bet it could get hot enough in there.

My mailbox is Kool & the Gang, baby. A slot in the door of a mostly underground garage.
And just thinking about how the mail is moved, I'm not buying a delivery truck at all, and I'm not sure about a trailer, either.
But, thinking the whole process through, there's definitly one way I could easily accept that it could happen. If somebody dropped the package in a blue curbside mailbox for pickup, yes, I bet it could get hot enough in there.
Or, took the package with them to work, left it in the car, and mailed it at lunch, or on the way home...
not everyone is a chipper, and don’t get it

I guess I would be surprised. I saw your post the other day about that and it left me scratching my head. Only because I can't remember ever reading about it before. Is this a documented phenomenon (in shipping?) I've had thousands of chips shipped to me in the summertime, and I can't remember ever receiving warped inlaid paulsons. Hot stamps, yes, the get warped in the manufacturing process. Somebody who left their chips on their dashboard in a car in the sun, yes, it happens. But in regular shipping?
@Sprouty show the man

Granted they aren't Paulson, but still.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom