Seeking Advice. How do I put up a Twitch Feed? (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering (just an idea at this point) the concept of putting up a Twitch feed for the MTTD 3. Maybe 1 camera centrally located that would catch a geed deal of the action, near the main table. That way folks could check up on the action.

I'm not sure how this would work, or play out.... and I'm not sure the logistics of setting something like this up?

If anyone has thoughts, I'd be all ears. I'm also looking for info on how I'd set this up, what equipment would be needed, etc...

My existing equipment includes a PC, and wireless router (for in-home wifi).

Need a webcam, high powered computer with strong graphics card, high speed internet (wireless may be an issue), and to learn how to use the livestreaming software. Looks up obs for twitch and xsplit, the top 2 used broadcasting softwares.

I have high speed internet, and a 5g/5g dual router. My PC base is nowhere near my game room. I'm able to stream HD content to a number of TV's using blueray players via my wireless router.

I was hoping I'd be able to use my relatively new PC (not specifically graphics heavy), but it's not the cheapest PC I could find. I was also hoping I'd be able to get a webcam (wireless capable) and stream signal to my PC or something like that, and just allow people to log onto twitch or something similar, to watch the action...? Not that simple?

No idea what OBS is.

YouTube Twitch setup. Watch a couple videos. You'll quickly learn that's it's in your skill set or not

I'm able to stream HD content to a number of TV's using blueray players via my wireless router.

Internet speeds are rarely symmetric..your upload is probably far weaker than the download. It's very likely that your setup won't be able to sustain a HD video uplink via wireless without dropping frames. You'll have to play around with it to find out, though.

No idea what OBS is.
Open Broadcaster Software
Be amazed it's free.

Maybe 1 camera centrally located that would catch a geed deal of the action, near the main table. That way folks could check up on the action.
The biggest thing is obviously to make sure that the cards are visible. This may require more lights than you expect, and it may need a better camera than one you have already. Additionally, you have to consider sound..nobody will watch a silent stream. Are your players all cool with table banter being broadcast to the web? Will viewers be able to follow the game without hole cards or a commentator? Like anything, this can be as complex or simple as you want (within reason), but low production value will absolutely compromise how many viewers you get and retain.

For a while now, I've been pondering the idea of building a Twitch-enabled poker table, which would have RFID card detectors as well as an overhead 3D-camera vision system to determine chip counts & provide the stream feeds. It's several grand (at least) and a lot of unknowns, but now I'm thinking about it again..

We were thinking of doing this for our home game. You'd need a wireless enabled camera, similar to this.

You could also use something like a GoPro or SJCam WiFi.

Open broadcaster is easier to set up than you think. Getting the second camera going is where my efforts stopped. I was thinking of a rotating hole card came that would travel with the button or whoever was in the hand after the flop and is closest to the button.

I'd be interested in watching this. Microphones would be needed so we could hear the action, too :D

I was thinking perhaps a webcam stuck to the ceiling looking down on the table...

Not sure how you can set this up, and I agree with some of the problems @Joe Harris mentioned, but if you end up doing it I would most likely be interested in watching it(y) :thumbsup:

Good video on setting up a twitch stream. This one is specifically for streaming games from your PC, but you would just select the webcam stream as your application instead of the game. Tutorial says the stream has to be running in order for OBS to detect it, so you'd likely need to be viewing the stream using whatever software the wireless cam came with in order for OBS to pick it up.

Before you buy a cam, search for reviews of it working with Twitch and OBS.

I think a neat idea would be for there to be a broadcast room where someone can put a headset on and give commentary on hands when they're away from the table. It'd be funny to hear it after the fact.

I'd be interested in watching this. Microphones would be needed so we could hear the action, too :D

I was thinking perhaps a webcam stuck to the ceiling looking down on the table...

I have a cabinet nearby my main table. The MTTD will have three tables going, but the main table is where I think most of the action will be...

I think I could post the camera on top of the cabinet, looking down at an angle. It might not be perfect, but there's a plug up there (for lighting) that could power the camera. I'm guessing a wireless web camera would be ok? I'm also guessing the lower 30fps rate would be just fine, as were not streaming live action first person shooter video games...

Here's the cabinet I speak of...

image.jpeg

This would be the approximate vantage point.

Now a bigger question would be whether ppl would want this or not. I would love to catch up on some meetup degeneracy, but will having the feed inhibit fun? If done, this would be limited to chippers only. I wouldn't want just anyone viewing this.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a good vantage point. You cannot privately stream via twitch though.

That's a good vantage point. You cannot privately stream via twitch though.

Maybe not, but who's going to be watching MY stream...? Just ppl with the link (and a heads up) most likely, correct? Really would be boring to all but those S here, who "might" be interested...

Having a hard time finding info on cameras that will work for me... The Amcrest camera, linked above, sounds like a cool option, with remote PTZ capabilities.. There was just no info on whether this camera will work for twitch... I could have the app open on my phone, and zoom in on good hands, etc...

I most likely wouldn't spend my event doing TV camera operating. It'd probably be more of a set it and forget it thing... Too many other things to worry about

Last edited:
Maybe not, but who's going to be watching MY stream...? Just ppl with the link (and a heads up) most likely, correct? Really would be boring to all but those S here, who "might" be interested...

Having a hard time finding info on cameras that will work for me... The Amcrest camera, linked above, sounds like a cool option, with remote PTZ capabilities.. There was just no info on whether this camera will work for twitch... I could have the app open on my phone, and zoom in on good hands, etc...

Hmmm you're right.

This one looks to be a popular cam for twitch. Also cheaper.

I most likely wouldn't spend my event doing TV camera operating. It'd probably be more of a set it and forget it thing... Too many other things to worry about

Yeah you don't want to worry about the camera. Just set it up and leave it running.

I saw this, and noticed it's the number one reviewed camera... However, it's also not wireless, that I could see. Wireless needs to work, or this project is dead in the water. Not running cable through my house, nor am I disassembling my office PC to reinstall it near the webcam...

I saw this, and noticed it's the number one reviewed camera... However, it's also not wireless, that I could see. Wireless needs to work, or this project is dead in the water. Not running cable through my house, nor am I disassembling my office PC to reinstall it near the webcam...

Some are saying that you can use an old smartphone and the appropriate App. App called "epochcam" that does the trick evidently. I guess a GoPro doesn't allow for this.

There's a GoPro knock off called a SJCam (SJ4000) that users claim they can stream with but not sure if it can work on twitch.

Last edited:
Maybe not, but who's going to be watching MY stream...? Just ppl with the link (and a heads up) most likely, correct?

you may be surprised. Twitch has Poker listed in its game list and it sometimes does peak in the top 25 games being watched. I mean you may not be getting 100s of viewers, but as long as you're okay with a few randoms watching for a bit and maybe chiming in (through chat) then you have nothing to worry about as far as streaming on Twitch. Just my $.02 though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom