Sanity check on custom designs (1 Viewer)

raynmanas

Full House
Reaction score
I've been working on these custom CPCs for a while now, and have been up in the air on whether I wanted to share them here, but I think I need a quick sanity check before I make payment. Inlay design is not ready for showtime yet, but it will be black and fairly simple, all in grayscale. Anything jump out as an obvious issue to anyone with the colors/progressions/etc?

Cash set (25¢ - $1 - $5 - $20 - $100)

c9bdf55d-9b97-404c-9ace-2aec0201a9d9.png

Tourney set (25 - 100 - 500 - 1000 - 5000)

abf516e5-3125-4fcc-bf77-8a152f376339.png

Last edited:
You're bound to get all sorts of opinions. (and others are more knowledgeable about the CPC colors -- like how they look in real life vs. on the mockup tool.) But I looked at both lineups, and I really like them, and I like them a lot as shown.

I like the cash $5 - for the question of: do I go with a traditional red colored $5, or a dayglo orange $5 ala Mapes? I like your answer of yes.

I don't like the bronze quarter, black $1, and the white/grey/purple $100. I think the rest of the chips look good. I especially like the blue 1 and the red/white/blue $100.

I like the colors of the red 5 but not sure about that spot pattern.

Thanks. I should clarify I've handled all CPC colors and molds in person, so I am aware of the differences between mockups and reality. And yes, I also know how ugly DG Saturn is considered, but I do personally like it as a 1/8" edge spot.

Last edited:
I don't like the bronze quarter, black $1

the black $20 or the black T100? there is no black $1.

The T25 and T100 are tributes to my old custom TRK King's Crown hotstamps that I should NEVER have gotten rid of. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of them:

kings crown hotstamps.png

Last edited:
the black $20 or the black T100? there is no black $1.

The T25 and T100 are tributes to my old custom TRK King's Crown hotstamps that I should NEVER have gotten rid of. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of them:View attachment 397291

I meant the black chip with butterscotch and yellow spots.

I did a rework of the cash set. I don't know about the $100 chip. I do like the quarter tho.

View attachment 397356

I can't figure out how to save and export properly so this is just a screen shot.

appreciate the effort, but 3 chips in a row and 4/5 chips in a set all using a shade of yellow/orange is exactly the kind of issue I am trying to avoid.

for reference, this $1 is the chip the made me want to use a light chocolate quarter. understand it's not for everyone, but I appreciate the old school look (chip/photo credit @PlaidDragon):

F1EAF0A6-EB85-4F9A-B650-C3A5062E6A55.jpeg

Last edited:
The DG Saturn spot on DG Arc Yellow wasn't sitting right with me, so I made a couple tweaks to the tournament set:

15801393528801769958976512294066.png

i have no idea why the white $5000 chip above is saving the edge spots differently as retro red and mandarin red - they are all retro red in my mockup. if i save the individual chip, they both show as retro red, but when i save all chips, they show like this. ?:confused?

Last edited:
The DG Saturn spot on DG Arc Yellow wasn't sitting right with me, so I made a couple tweaks to the tournament set:

View attachment 398504
That would have been my only serious remark. Glad you fixed it.:tup:
Make sure you have the full 38-color sample in your hands, cleaned and oiled, before you pull the trigger.

Regarding the cash set, why not make the frac a quarter pie (in Light Chocolate and Blurple) and the $5 a 6A14 (Red base, with alternating DG Tiger and DG Yellow spots)?

Regarding the cash set, why not make the frac a quarter pie (in Light Chocolate and Blurple) and the $5 a 6A14 (Red base, with alternating DG Tiger and DG Yellow spots)?

thanks. i tried the 1/4 pie frac, but not a big fan of the way it looks. and funny suggestion about the $5, i think i've owned those chips already! ;) i liked them but they were never my favorite.

b964149b-a190-4a25-a7bf-6825c2bf5339.png
1.png

i've been really really digging the AS $5s though, hence the new direction i am considering.

Last edited:
I think your chips look fine to me. If you are trying to pick your edgespot colors, you should design them around your theme of your set. If you are unsure of something, find a chip that you like and copy the spot colors.

This looks like a dirty stack issue waiting to happen with the $20 and $1 chips. Not a lot of the black will be slowing in stacks and with all the blue and green that blends with blue I would be worried.

good eye, i did consider the same. however, at .25/.50, we pretty much never need $20 chips, so they and the $100s are very small quantity "just in case" for the moment. any given stack might have 5x $20s on a great night.

i do want it future-proofed though, but there are no obvious changes i love. i am not married to the $20, got any good ideas? i was considering going this direction with the $1, which would probably help a bit:

d06f1753-5dc5-44f3-b0e2-f619db22187c.png

Last edited:
Love the $5 now. Absolutely didn't like the half-pie $5 in the original mock up. It didn't fit well for my liking progression-wise.

i agree. the more i obsessed over it, the less i liked the $5. and i love the Aurora Star $5s soooo much, this seemed like a logical move, i just hate having to pull arc yellow off the $1 - that feels like a downgrade on the $1 but overall i think it helps the set.

Last edited:
good eye, i did consider the same. however, at .25/.50, we pretty much never need $20 chips, so they and the $100s are very small quantity "just in case" for the moment. any given stack might have 5x $20s on a great night.

i do want it future-proofed though, but there are no obvious changes i love. i am not married to the $20, got any good ideas? i was considering going this direction with the $1, which would probably help a bit:

View attachment 398581

A slight change on the $20 will have the green stand out more as a green than a blue.

BC6C6DCD-BA83-4A84-9E1D-72A7185EAA9D.png

Everything looks decent except that quarter for me! Obviously it's your set and you should get what YOU think looks good, but I've always loved peach quarters.

e/ new $5 looks wayyy better too

A slight change on the $20 will have the green stand out more as a green than a blue.

View attachment 398584

i like that twenty, but i don't want to use retro lavender on 2 chips in a row (or twice at all), and i'm really digging the $100 as it is. with that in mind, what do you all think of this slightly updated progression?

15801504800831039340905553105844.png

Last edited:
i like that hundo, but i don't want to use retro lavender on 2 chips in a row (or twice at all), and i'm really digging the $100 as it is. with that in mind, what do you all think of this slightly updated progression?

View attachment 398594

Charcoal is too dark to be paired with black, you will barely see anything. If anything take the grey from the $100 and move it to the $20 and put the charcoal on the $100

Charcoal is too dark to be paired with black, you will barely see anything. If anything take the grey from the $100 and move it to the $20 and put the charcoal on the $100

fair point, thanks. right now i'm leaning towards sticking with this lineup:

1580152638031.png

Last edited:
order has been placed and paid, but I am still tweaking before final production - any thoughts on this new $20?

c66caaaa-9a82-42e7-8300-d897a1606d0f.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom