RTIC Case Sale!!!! (1 Viewer)

Use the 3M contact adhesive and glue the foam back together and recut. It'll be a bit flimsy but once you've got it to size then the plastidip trick will make it robust again.
Would you also recommend using the adhesive to get the foam to stay in place of the case? Of course after the PlastiDip. The edge of the foam is so flimsy, it’s all over the place.

I've not tried that but it's a good idea provided you're never gonna change the interior configuration. I may have to experiment. I'm not happy with how mine's laid out at the moment.

800 appears to be perfect size for the 18”. I am going to try to leave a column of foam in between each rack. I removed the entire top layer and stacked 2 racks on top of each other, closed the lid and it is snug enough to hold them in place. Plasti dip should ensure that it stays firm and the border foam will help too.
As far as worrying about the latches it seems like you are all good here. Both latches would need to unlatch for the top to open up and when I unlatched only 1 it barely opened and chips stayed secure.

I bought some racks with covers to see how that would work. It’s ok but I think there needs to be some foam adjustment to make it perfect. The problem is with one layer of foam cut out, it's a little too small for two chip trays but with both layers of foam cut it's way too big for two trays but perfect for three. So you could happily configure this box for 600, 900 or 1200 chips but the three layers tilts me - I'd rather have fewer layers of chips and more visible.

I bought some racks with covers to see how that would work. It’s ok but I think there needs to be some foam adjustment to make it perfect. The problem is with one layer of foam cut out, it's a little too small for two chip trays but with both layers of foam cut it's way too big for two trays but perfect for three. So you could happily configure this box for 600, 900 or 1200 chips but the three layers tilts me - I'd rather have fewer layers of chips and more visible.

View attachment 248496
I think I did the exact same cut out. Fitting in 6 racks per layer was work on its own. I just tried how you did it, which is not snug but with 3 layers they seem pretty secure. It’s easier to put racks in and out.
Are those unique racks? I got the Chipco racks and am not too happy. They measured out to be 67.45mm, my chipcos are 65.65mm in stacks. It gets to be a pain when stacking racks on top of each other because the chips hang over the edges.

I just got mine, but I think I think I’m going to wait to configure it. I am just not sure what I want yet and you all are giving me way too much to think about. The only thing I know for sure is I’m too old and feeble to configure it for any more than 1,000 chips. Other than that, I’m probably just going to copy off one of you. So, to whomever I copy from, thanks in advance!!!!

Are those unique racks?
The racks are YH Poker racks from Amazon. They're a buck a piece for the plain rack and $2 for the ones with lids when bought in lots of 10. They're also too wide for the chips however there's something about them that makes the chips all stand vertical and not tilt. They're my goto cheap rack now and seem to made of thicker plastic than other cheap racks I have bought.

I think the end game solution for these cases is going to be achieved with some 3rd party foam. I'm gonna search around for some dense 1" foam to replace the bottom foam layer which should give me the right holding force vertically on the chip racks.

The racks are YH Poker racks from Amazon. They're a buck a piece for the plain rack and $2 for the ones with lids when bought in lots of 10. They're also too wide for the chips however there's something about them that makes the chips all stand vertical and not tilt. They're my goto cheap rack now and seem to made of thicker plastic than other cheap racks I have bought.

I think the end game solution for these cases is going to be achieved with some 3rd party foam. I'm gonna search around for some dense 1" foam to replace the bottom foam layer which should give me the right holding force vertically on the chip racks.
What racks are you going to use for the secret menu Apes? The Chipco racks are killing me. Do you have unique racks or paulsons? If you do, would you mind checking how they fit?
The foam situation is very frustrating. This is where I’m at now, I’m going to use the 3m adhesive and PlastiDip. But thinking looser is a bet better than super tight.

I’m thinking of getting one to take my chips through the airport. How heavy is one with 1200 chips? (I’d be keeping them in the white boxes, not racks).

Thanks

The website says the case weighs 7.1 lbs. + (10g x 1200 = 26.5 lbs)
So roughly 34 lbs

Last edited:
What racks are you going to use for the secret menu Apes? The Chipco racks are killing me. Do you have unique racks or paulsons? If you do, would you mind checking how they fit?
The foam situation is very frustrating. This is where I’m at now, I’m going to use the 3m adhesive and PlastiDip. But thinking looser is a bet better than super tight.

I’m still using the YH racks. They’re a bit too big also but they work well because the chips don’t tilt and stay vertical. I only have cheapy 39mm racks so can’t offer advice on a better alternative.

I’m thinking of getting one to take my chips through the airport. How heavy is one with 1200 chips? (I’d be keeping them in the white boxes, not racks).

Thanks
I still feel that the chip boxes are the best/safest way to store/transport chips in these cases.

30lbs isn’t too bad but will get heavy if carrying around for too long around an airport. I wonder if you can rest it on your luggage that has wheels?

I’m still using the YH racks. They’re a bit too big also but they work well because the chips don’t tilt and stay vertical. I only have cheapy 39mm racks so can’t offer advice on a better alternative.
Thanks anyway. The Chipco are around 39.33mm so they don’t quite touch the bottom of the Chipco rack. That’s probably why they are tilting over the edges.:(

I still feel that the chip boxes are the best/safest way to store/transport chips in these cases.

30lbs isn’t too bad but will get heavy if carrying around for too long around an airport. I wonder if you can rest it on your luggage that has wheels?
Agree on being too heavy. I would spend the $ 30 more and get the 22” rolling version.

So I just removed one layer of foam and was able to get 4 rows of racks stacked 2 high. No upside down rack and the lid holds them in perfectly. Just need to plasti dip. My only concern is that the lid foam will eventually not keep them tightly squeezed like they are now. Thought about plasti dip on the foam under the lid but figured that would be a bad idea since it touches the chips directly. I don’t know why just seems like the plastidip shouldn’t be directly smooshing down on the chips. Anyone ever plasti dip the lid foam??

So I ordered a 2nd 18” case. Did anyone get the 14 or 16 inch?? Curious to see pics of the 14 and/or 16.

@Chipandchair all sides of all of the foam in my case are plasti dipped. Plasti dip dries in a layer so that it can peel off on flat surgaces. I have used this to black out the emblems and such on my Jeep and then it is able to be peeled off in one layer. I don't see an issue with it being on the top foam. Not sure if other, more experienced chippers, will have anything else to add here.

I think @Ben8257 put over 1000 chips in a case very similar to this....same concept different maker....twas a bit heavy lol...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom