Rosie's Bayou (1 Viewer)

Last minute switch on the hundo spot?

Stunning! Words fail me. So glad I'll be in Colorado on Thursday! :D

Looking forward to playing cards with you Marsha. I didn't get to do much of that in Chicago. Plus I have new grandson pictures to show off :)

Dearest PCF oenophiles: @tommythecat @pltrgyst @Poker Zombie @bivey @Mr Tree @NiceShot @ChaosRock

I'm a red wine guy, but rarely venture into creole food for pairings. An event like this requires some vino! For white, a german Riesling or a Pinot Gris is probably a reasonable choice. But what red wine do you recommend to pair with this meal? I'm thinking a fruity Oregon Pinot Noir, and was debating a Zin but am concerned a Zin might overpower the dish. Thoughts on something reasonably accessible in snowy MN? Thanks

Last edited:
Dearest PCF oenophiles: @tommythecat @pltrgyst @Poker Zombie @bivey @Mr Tree @NiceShot @ChaosRock

I'm a red wine guy, but rarely venture into creole food for pairings. An event like this requires some vino! For white, a german Riesling or probably Pinot Gris is probably a reasonable choice. But what red wine do you recommend to pair with this meal? I'm thinking a fruity Oregon Pinot Noir, and was debating a Zin but am concerned a Zin might overpower the dish. Thoughts on something reasonable accessible to snowy MN? Thanks

My suggestion :)

elijah-craig-barrel-proof-69-7-whisky.jpg

I'm a red wine guy, but rarely venture into creole food for pairings. An event like this requires some vino! For white, a german Riesling or probably Pinot Gris is probably a reasonable choice. But what red wine do you recommend to pair with this meal? I'm thinking a fruity Oregon Pinot Noir, and was debating a Zin but am concerned a Zin might overpower the dish. Thoughts on something reasonably accessible to snowy MN? Thanks

It's a little tough to tell right up front, because I'm not familiar with Mike's level of spicy. High alcohol wines will accentuate the heat, and not in a good way. High tannin will also come off bitter. If you are going red, I would stick with a lighter red, like a Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais. Louis Jadot is a Beaujolais we try to keep on hand. It's priced reasonably, pairs well with spicy foods, and will not clobber the fried chicken option either.

I'm a red wine guy, but rarely venture into creole food for pairings. An event like this requires some vino! For white, a german Riesling or probably Pinot Gris is probably a reasonable choice. But what red wine do you recommend to pair with this meal? I'm thinking a fruity Oregon Pinot Noir, and was debating a Zin but am concerned a Zin might overpower the dish. Thoughts on something reasonably accessible to snowy MN? Thanks

For some spicy creole food, on the white side, I'd go with some Gewürztraminer from Alsace... Riesling and Viognier also work, but I like the grapefruit tones of the Gewurtz better with spice food...On the red side, it's a little more difficult imo... Maybe some Australian Grenache? Rosemount has a GSM (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre) blend that is cheap and phenomenal most years... I think you'll loose a lot of the subtleties of the Pinot Noir pairing with spicy food personally... Maybe something more simple like a Beaujolais?

Having said that, spice foods are not great for wine pairing IMO... I'd go with white wine preferably as long as the dish is not super rich...

Last edited:
It's a little tough to tell right up front, because I'm not familiar with Mike's level of spicy. High alcohol wines will accentuate the heat, and not in a good way. High tannin will also come off bitter. If you are going red, I would stick with a lighter red, like a Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais. Louis Jadot is a Beaujolais we try to keep on hand. It's priced reasonably, pairs well with spicy foods, and will not clobber the fried chicken option either.

For some spicy creole food, on the white side, I'd go with some Gewürztraminer from Alsace... Riesling and Viognier also work, but I like the grapefruit tones of the Gewurtz better with spice food...On the red side, it's a little more difficult imo... Maybe some Australian Grenache? Rosemount has a GSM (Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre) blend that is cheap and phenomenal most years... I think you'll loose a lot of the subtleties of the Pinot Noir pairing with spicy food personally... Maybe something more simple like a Beaujolais?

Having said that, spice foods are not great for wine pairing IMO... I'd go with white wine preferably as long as the dish is not super rich...

Sage advice from both here. Red wine and spice are not usually a good pairing as the red wine just turns the volume up on the spice.

A couple of alternative ideas. A good rose, (people have the wrong idea from White Zinfandel. there are real roses out there and they have their place.)

IMG_6056.JPG

Or a red white blend. These can give you a little of the meatier red wine flavor while still being supple and having enough residual sweetness to go with the spice.

IMG_6057.JPG

Last edited:
Sage advice from both here. Red wine and spice are not usually a good pairing as the red wine just turns the volume up on the spice.

A couple of alternative ideas. A good rose, (people have the wrong idea from wife Zinfandel. there are real roses out there and they have their place.)

View attachment 112200

Or a red white blend. These can give you a little of the meatier red wine flavor while still being supple and having enough residual sweetness to go with the spice.

View attachment 112201

Yep, I agree Tom... A good Rose could be a good alternative... NOT the sweet junk sold in gas stations... You gotta dodge lots on minefields when buying Rose though... I honestly cannot recommend one of the top of my head... I usually do not do Rose... Last I had was a special bottling from Caymus, sold at the winery only... Out Of This World!

I'm a red wine guy, but rarely venture into creole food for pairings. An event like this requires some vino! For white, a german Riesling or a Pinot Gris is probably a reasonable choice. But what red wine do you recommend to pair with this meal? I'm thinking a fruity Oregon Pinot Noir, and was debating a Zin but am concerned a Zin might overpower the dish. Thoughts on something reasonably accessible in snowy MN? Thanks

If you plan to pair cajun with a red, ideally something with low tannins. I personally would go pinot noir, but that's mostly because I am not a fan of rose or blushes. A zin could work... but, depending on the zin it may be more overpowering with the spicy than you like.

With wine going nuts in the US you can find a lot of options and better yet, I encourage tasting wherever possible to find out what your pallette likes. It's like getting samples for chips. A must have :).

I paired a pinot with my old bay seasoned shrimp last night. It was amazing.

Yep, I agree Tom... A good Rose could be a good alternative... NOT the sweet junk sold in gas stations... You gotta dodge lots on minefields when buying Rose though... I honestly cannot recommend one of the top of my head... I usually do not do Rose... Last I had was a special bottling from Caymus, sold at the winery only... Out Of This World!
Yeah I almost didn't recommend it because they are tricky but a good one is a great pairing. Forrest if you go the rose route go somewhere where you can get help and they have good options. Otherwise you will end up with oversweetened crap.

Caymus is amazing, I have to agree :). Plan on spending 20+ depending on the year.

Caymus is amazing, I have to agree :). Plan on spending 20+ depending on the year.

Yep, I had never seen a Caymus Rose until my visit to the winery... Have been a fan of their regular Cab and their Special Selection for quite a while but their Rose really surprised me...

A good rose is an awesome picnic wine. My wife and I did a great bottle in Central Park last year on our anniversary. But if you don't know them it's definitely something you need an assist on.

Last edited:
Good advice above -- without knowing specific dishes, I wouldn't go red.

For the white, you don't want a lot of acid -- you want an all-rounder. Someone mentioned viognier; in that same vein would be Gruner Veltliners (Austria) and Spanish Verdejos.

For roses, the standbys are mostly grenache from Provence, but there are also a few Malbec roses from Argentina that go well with almost anything.

And don't forget sparklers, both white and rose! Their slightly sweet notes can work wonders with mildly spicy, complex dishes...

Have fun!

Good advice above -- without knowing specific dishes, I wouldn't go red.

For the white, you don't want a lot of acid -- you want an all-rounder. Someone mentioned viognier; in that same vein would be Gruner Veltliners (Austria) and Spanish Verdejos.

For roses, the standbys are mostly grenache from Provence, but there are also a few Malbec roses from Argentina that go well with almost anything.

And don't forget sparklers, both white and rose! Their slightly sweet notes can work wonders with mildly spicy, complex dishes...

Have fun!
Damn it, obvious answer I always miss. Sparkling wine is like the ATV of the wine world. It goes with pretty much anything.

Sorry to disturb this wine discussion but I'd just want to say I love ... this new set @slisk250
Also, I would drink a Grand Cru of Cheval Blanc at Le Porc Salut with you to buy then a sample set !!

congrats on another great looking set, some really great colours in it. The colour combo in the $5 is not something I would ever think would go well together but they look amazing in stacks. The $25 is unbelievable too, I really love those edgespots, it has to be one of the best on offer by CPC.

I really wish I had the cash to drop on so many custom sets. Technically I could use my bankroll, but my partner has even managed to lay partial claim to that as well. What has the world come to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom