Rosie's Bayou (1 Viewer)

It's a little tough to tell right up front, because I'm not familiar with Mike's level of spicy. High alcohol wines will accentuate the heat, and not in a good way. High tannin will also come off bitter. If you are going red, I would stick with a lighter red, like a Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais. Louis Jadot is a Beaujolais we try to keep on hand. It's priced reasonably, pairs well with spicy foods, and will not clobber the fried chicken option either.

How does a bottle of 2012 Grgich Hills Petit Verdot pair with ass fire? I like hot food.

Good advice above -- without knowing specific dishes, I wouldn't go red.

For the white, you don't want a lot of acid -- you want an all-rounder. Someone mentioned viognier; in that same vein would be Gruner Veltliners (Austria) and Spanish Verdejos.

For roses, the standbys are mostly grenache from Provence, but there are also a few Malbec roses from Argentina that go well with almost anything.

And don't forget sparklers, both white and rose! Their slightly sweet notes can work wonders with mildly spicy, complex dishes...

Have fun!
Hmm Malbec would be interesting. I have been consuming Catena at an alarming rate. Great Malbec for the price.

How does a bottle of 2012 Grgich Hills Petit Verdot pair with ass fire? I like hot food.
Haha if you like bold. Take it up a notch! Bam!

Oh and awesome chips. Any full bodied red would be perfect with these chippies.

Last edited:

I would have to research the Grgich Hills, as I'm not familiar with it, but my initial impression is Petit Verdot is too high in tannins. It's a high alcohol wine, so that is going to mix with the spicy food on your tongue. This will up the heat, and will multiply the bitterness of the tannins.

I would save a nice bottle of Petit Verdot for later in the evening, after dinner.

I would have to research the Grgich Hills, as I'm not familiar with it, but my initial impression is Petit Verdot is too high in tannins. It's a high alcohol wine, so that is going to mix with the spicy food on your tongue. This will up the heat, and will multiply the bitterness of the tannins.

I would save a nice bottle of Petit Verdot for later in the evening, after dinner.

Ok. But if anyone is able to find a bottle of Grgich Hills Petit Verdot 2012, please bring it and I'll pay for it (probably 70 bucks)

Backstory - I guess I should have given some details about the genesis of this set.

Long ago I lost my mother to brain cancer and we had a special connection in the kitchen. She taught me how to cook and when I was 17 we took a family trip to New Orleans and discovered Cajun/Creole food together. About 20 years ago I thought about opening a restaurant called Rosie's Caribe Bayou in AZ to honor her and leave the teaching profession. It wasn't to be but I've been hosting Cajun food parties on and off since then.

Rosie's Bayou is a fictional Restaurant/back alley cardroom off of Pirate's Alley in the French Quarter....the perfect location for an illicit gambling operation.

On to the chips...

As I've done in the recent past, I always bounce my chip ideas off of @jbutler and @courage . There was quite an evolution of design along the way and a bit of both of my friends are in all of these chips. I cannot thank them enough

The real credit and hard work goes to Alan Crowell @72o I gave him a horrible drawing and some images he used to create the Rosie's font. J5 had to rework everything due to file incompatibility but it all worked out in the end. I really owe Alan a debt of gratitude. He is a very talented man.

Voodoo frac - There are a few voodoo shops I visited back in the day and gave the doll my mom bought me to my oldest son. We'll go back to visit soon enough.
French Flag/crawfish $1 - With such a rich history of French culture in New Orleans, the flag fits....even if @BELGRADE doesn't approve
Mardi Gras $5 - Mom collected masks back in the day and this would be her favorite chip if I were a betting man!
Jazz $25 - You can't walk through the quarter without music putting a little hitch in your giddyup.
Gator hundo - My youngest still remembers the Gator swamp tour we took long ago - Alan did a fantastic job on this inlay (my favorite)

I thought this was my last custom set but after seeing the Cedar Room 10th year anniversary chips that Mark Huntley was passing around a few days ago, I have inspiration for one more on the horse head mold.

Backstory - I guess I should have given some details about the genesis of this set.

Long ago I lost my mother to brain cancer and we had a special connection in the kitchen. She taught me how to cook and when I was 17 we took a family trip to New Orleans and discovered Cajun/Creole food together. About 20 years ago I thought about opening a restaurant called Rosie's Caribe Bayou in AZ to honor her and leave the teaching profession. It wasn't to be but I've been hosting Cajun food parties on and off since then.

Rosie's Bayou is a fictional Restaurant/back alley cardroom off of Pirate's Alley in the French Quarter....the perfect location for an illicit gambling operation.

On to the chips...

As I've done in the recent past, I always bounce my chip ideas off of @jbutler and @courage . There was quite an evolution of design along the way and a bit of both of my friends are in all of these chips. I cannot thank them enough

The real credit and hard work goes to Alan Crowell @72o I gave him a horrible drawing and some images he used to create the Rosie's font. J5 had to rework everything due to file incompatibility but it all worked out in the end. I really owe Alan a debt of gratitude. He is a very talented man.

Voodoo frac - There are a few voodoo shops I visited back in the day and gave the doll my mom bought me to my oldest son. We'll go back to visit soon enough.
French Flag/crawfish $1 - With such a rich history of French culture in New Orleans, the flag fits....even if @BELGRADE doesn't approve
Mardi Gras $5 - Mom collected masks back in the day and this would be her favorite chip if I were a betting man!
Jazz $25 - You can't walk through the quarter without music putting a little hitch in your giddyup.
Gator hundo - My youngest still remembers the Gator swamp tour we took long ago - Alan did a fantastic job on this inlay (my favorite)

I thought this was my last custom set but after seeing the Cedar Room 10th year anniversary chips that Mark Huntley was passing around a few days ago, I have inspiration for one more on the horse head mold.

Great backstory, Mike, and super-awesome set!

Glad to see @courage and @jbutler are still working their majick!

Have you got any samples of these babies?

Beautiful chips and great theme - I often considered a cajun themed chip set since I went to school in Louisiana and some of my best friends were coonasses.

On to the chips...

Awesome write-up Mike. I love the set man and honestly am so ecstatic that you like them. I appreciate the acknowledgement but all I did was put your ideas down on paper for you. Such a great theme. It was my pleasure working on this set with you and I hope they are full of run-good.

Awesome write-up Mike. I love the set man and honestly am so ecstatic that you like them. I appreciate the acknowledgement but all I did was put your ideas down on paper for you. Such a great theme. It was my pleasure working on this set with you and I hope they are full of run-good.

I'm not surprised that you helped out with this. Your knollwoods are one of my favorite chips. Youve got talent sir.

Last edited:
Glad to see these came out so beautifully, Mike. Almost impossible to pick a favorite for me, but I think the frac and the $5 are tied for the moment with the quarter being very close behind. Congratulations on seeing this set through. Such beautiful artwork and perfect color and spot choices.

Wow, Mike, these turned out great! It's tough to pic a fav, but put me down for the frac and quarter. Was so happy you went with a Cali $25, kind of rare. The only thing you need is MORE ;)

I really liked this set :)

20170804_003013.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom