Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

The force awakens was an abomination. Bad in so many ways. Hope this one is better. Watching the originals in the 80s was epic.

The force awakens was an abomination. Bad in so many ways. Hope this one is better. Watching the originals in the 80s was epic.

Not sure how TFA was an abomination. A missed opportunity in some ways, but its shortcomings were understandable for franchise reasons imo.

TFA actually ranks near the top of my "most fun movies" of all time list, and in my mind, that's what a Star Wars movie is supposed to be. Thought it did its job incredibly well. Rogue One took itself way too seriously at times. It's like it tried to be a WWII flick, dramatizing a real conflict. This is fiction people. And because it tried to take itself too seriously, all the nods to previous movies and jokes from K2 fell incredibly flat for me.

TFA actually ranks near the top of my "most fun movies" of all time list, and in my mind, that's what a Star Wars movie is supposed to be. Thought it did its job incredibly well. Rogue One took itself way too seriously at times. It's like it tried to be a WWII flick, dramatizing a real conflict. This is fiction people. And because it tried to take itself too seriously, all the nods to previous movies and jokes from K2 fell incredibly flat for me.

I can think of a lot of ways Rogue One could have taken itself seriously and still been an excellent movie. Unfortunately trying to replicate a war film without changing virtually anything about the setting for the battle from a typical WWII is not a formula for success imo. But I did like a fair bit of the K2 material.

Well I guess I'll wait for it to hit the Dollar Theatre

Maybe I'm just not as critical of what I spend $9 on as some of the movie buffs are but I think it was well worth it for the 2 hours of entertainment that I got. I see a new movie in theater every week and have been for the last six years so I've seen some pretty terrible films like Drive and this was by no means even close to being what I would consider a bad film. But to each their own.

Maybe I'm just not as critical of what I spend $9 on as some of the movie buffs are but I think it was well worth it for the 2 hours of entertainment that I got. I see a new movie in theater every week and have been for the last six years so I've seen some pretty terrible films like Drive and this was by no means even close to being what I would consider a bad film. But to each their own.

I think you have it backwards. Anyone you might consider a "movie buff" is much more willing than the average person to pay to see movies in the theater. Not because an individual movie is worth it - I've seen a dozen or more this year in the theater that absolutely were not - but because there are those rare experiences that are worth much more than the cost of the ticket to see in the theater.

And fwiw Drive was in my top five in its release year, 2011, which was a pretty strong year for new releases.

Disney took a big sht on the franchise, period. I'm not a fanboy or anything. Never owned a Star Wars figurine or a light saber..... But I remember the movies from the 80s, and how impactful they were on folks. I mean, "Luke, I am your father" was talked about for years. It was huge! The dark vs light was a theme that meant something. I don't know. I feel like they Ctrl-P'ed A New Hope and did another cash grab. Kids won't remember any of these movies in 10 years. A missed opportunity for sure.

Disney took a big sht on the franchise, period. I'm not a fanboy or anything. Never owned a Star Wars figurine or a light saber..... But I remember the movies from the 80s, and how impactful they were on folks. I mean, "Luke, I am your father" was talked about for years. It was huge! The dark vs light was a theme that meant something. I don't know. I feel like they Ctrl-P'ed A New Hope and did another cash grab. Kids won't remember any of these movies in 10 years. A missed opportunity for sure.

Still not seeing any rationale behind your disdain for TFA. Just reiteration that you didn't like it. Why?

Well I see about 1 or 2 movies a year in a theater, at the most, and am by no means a movie buff. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything else, because I more than likely will not see it in a theater . I have a wife and 2 -soon to be 3 kids- so my schedule certainly isn't as flexible as some, so I usually have to wait until blu ray and around midnight on a friday or saturday to watch most movies. Last year the shittiest movie I saw was hateful eight - might be about the worst movie I have seen in 15 years. I like westerns and really wanted it to be good but alas it was not....

Well I see about 1 or 2 movies a year in a theatre, at the most, and am by no means a movie buff. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything else. I have a wife and 2 -soon to be 3 kids- so my schedule certainly isn't as flexible as some, so I usually have to wait until blu ray and around midnight on a friday or saturday to watch most movies. Last year the shittiest movie I saw was hateful eight - might be about the worst movie I have seen in 15 years. I like westerns and really wanted it to be good but alas it was not....

Congrats on your soon to be 3rd kid! Yeah its tough really to know whats going to be good and what is not. What some people think is garbage others like and vice versa. Personally I think if you like Star Wars and you were able to sit through 1, 2, and 3 and not leave in disgust you'd like this because Rogue One was about 100 times better then 1-3 IMO.

Congrats on your soon to be 3rd kid! Yeah its tough really to know whats going to be good and what is not. What some people think is garbage others like and vice versa. Personally I think if you like Star Wars and you were able to sit through 1, 2, and 3 and not leave in disgust you'd like this because Rogue One was about 100 times better then 1-3 IMO.
Well thats good, because I didn't mind 1-3....they could have been better, but I was not 'disappointed' by them. I really liked TFA more than I thought I would as well.

I'm looking forward to Rogue One. Doubt I'll get to see it at the cinema, however.

I thought TFA was okay, just nowhere close to the hype. Still can't believe the panto Solo scenes and his cheap-ass death.

They could've alluded to his incarceration, had a failed rescue mission, held off on killing off the character until a movie or two down the line... Built suspense... Limitless possibilities. His death was so throwaway. Waste of a great character.

The SW universe deserved better, imo.

I think it is a bit unfair to try to compare the two time periods, I have not looked at any data but i'm pretty sure the sheer number of movies released now VS the late 70's and early 80's is borderline exponential (that might be an exaggeration), coupled with the fact that most entertainment now is based on reality TV and social media, you just don't get the cult like following you used to. Just my opinion here

ETA at least we are getting new movies for for the franchise, i doubt Spielberg had the energy or the want to produce any more in the franchise, coupled with his arrogance and unwillingness to listen to his people on the sets of 1-3 when they were trying to tell him how he was effing them up would indicate that if he did they would be complete shit MTL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom