RIP SRV (1 Viewer)

I have a close friend who went to high school with him. Said he was a great guy
I can't remember where I heard the story but they said it was a good example of what he was like. This was during the drug days which might have had something to do with it :)

He was very excited to share the news that he discovered late one night in a hotel room that he could resurrect a dead Sharpie pen.
He'd touch the tips together and the ink would bleed from the full one to the dead one. In the morning he'd have two working Sharpies.

Of all the stories that is one that stayed with me lol.

Was very fortunate to actually see him in concert in the summer of 1990. I remember being in my neighbors pool listening to the radio when the news of his death came on the air.
One of the all time greats for sure.
R.I.P. Stevie

I was at a Bowie concert circa 89ish and Stevie came out and played on about 5 songs. He had been a studio musician for Bowie and Bowie was one of the stars who pushed for Stevie to get a deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTS
I'm not a fan of guitarists like SRV who think a hundred shotgun notes are always better than one perfect intoned note. I call them plumbers. Danny Gatton was another; he was a DC local, whom I saw hundreds of times.

I'll take the likes of Clapton, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee, or Mark Knopfler, any day.

I was at his final show. Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. Drove home blaring every song of his on my car radio. Went to work next morning, heard radio playing "Pride and Joy," and was like..."cool, talking about the show last night." Song ends. DJ opens mic, and says "hard to believe he is no longer with us."

Spent the next 30 minutes sobbing. SRV was a magician, who overcame so many demons. His bluesy and soulful style was mixed in with some musical rage, and man, the music rocked me,

Still have a sizable catalog on my devices now.

Glad we had him as long as we did, when you think about it.

I'm not a fan of guitarists like SRV who think a hundred shotgun notes are always better than one perfect intoned note. I call them plumbers. Danny Gatton was another; he was a DC local, whom I saw hundreds of times.

I'll take the likes of Clapton, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee, or Mark Knopfler, any day.
If your not a fan then why don't you just not comment? It's ok that you don't like SRV.
I just wonder why it is that some people seem to always look for an opportunity to be a douch bag?
I didn't think the thread was an opinion on who the best guitarist was or wasn't or who sucks and who doesn't.
Some people are just the smartest assholes in the room everywhere they go.
Again R.I.P. Stevie, your music made and still makes a lot of less smart people feel good.

I was at a Bowie concert circa 89ish and Stevie came out and played on about 5 songs. He had been a studio musician for Bowie and Howie was one of the stars who pushed for Stevie to get a deal.
SRV was on "China Girl" for sure, and I think "Let's Dance," but there were others off that album.

Me too. I remember right where I was when it came over the radio. Clapton was in the other heli.
There was rumor at the time that SRV got onto the chopper intended for Clapton. Was never proven. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

I'm also a guy who prefers a "perfect note" and if you think SRV was all about "shotgun notes", you aren't famiar with enough of his work. Spaz and soul, he had it all.

If your not a fan then why don't you just not comment?

Because this is a discussion group -- see, it's where people discuss things, which includes agreeing and disagreeing with statements that are made or implied.

It's ok that you don't like SRV.

Why, that's very generous of you. Inaccurate, but generous. I didn't say I didn't like him; I said I disagree that he was one of the very top tier.

I just wonder why it is that some people seem to always look for an opportunity to be a douch bag?

Aren't you fortunate that for you, it just comes naturally? I mean, unlike spelling?

Is this how it works at your home poker games? Someone says something, and only people who agree or share the sentiment are allowed to speak while that topic's being discussed? Must be an awfully dull game.

I didn't think the thread was an opinion on who the best guitarist was or wasn't or who sucks and who doesn't.

Wrong again (illiterate again, too). It was inevitable. Look, there's no doubt SRV was a great guitarist, with great physical gifts. I just happen to think he wasn't a great *interpretive* guitarist. Kinda like I think Dick Gregory was a lot funnier and of a lot more value to this country than Jerry Lewis, but when they died on the same day, Lewis got most of the ink.

Some people are just the smartest assholes in the room everywhere they go.

Now there's a sage observation, but you really don't have to worry about that. There's always a faster gun.

Maybe someday you'll grow up to be a Big Tuna... that shouldn't be too hard in Richmond. :eek:

IMG_1478.PNG

If you like Stevie, you'll prob enjoy Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Double Trouble drummer, Chris Layton, has been with Kenny for years and they put on a great live show. He plays a mean "Voodoo Child". Just saw them last week:

https://goo.gl/photos/RLH3i5UxKxaukCbEA

He does put on a great show. Saw Kenny Wayne Sheppard open for the Allman Brothers band in 2000 at Nissan Pavilion.
Great concert.

Air accidents took Stevie, Rocky Marciano, Aaliyah, Payne Stewart, Roberto Clemente, and Tony Lema well before their times were up. All air accidents are tragic, but those are the ones that stick out to me the most in my 40 years on planet earth, though some of those were well before I was born.

Air accidents took Stevie, Rocky Marciano, Aaliyah, Payne Stewart, Roberto Clemente, and Tony Lema well before their times were up. All air accidents are tragic, but those are the ones that stick out to me the most in my 40 years on planet earth, though some of those were well before I was born.
Payne Stewart. Thurmon Munson. Davey Allison.

The list, sadly, is long and distinguished.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom