Restarting game? (1 Viewer)

If you have a scenario like that, then you don't really need the communication app. But it sounds like you don't, because you mentioned players not making it every games.

Why not set out your "regular group" of 9, then a second group of alternates that only can come if a regular is not available. You could still use a communication app, just make it clear to everyone who the regulars are, and who the alternates are.

Do people get butt hurt by that? If I was in that crew, I'd want my "alternate" status hidden from myself and others, LOL. It's the reality but it wouldn't encourage me to make an effort to show up.

But yeah, good idea about having different groups like that. I'm at the stage of still looking to pull together the "regular group" of 9 first.

band SHOULD alert them just like any otherr text or messenger notification if they have it set correct. For me i have 14 people that want to play but i understand your issue. I dont want to do first refusal like we do for our 5 aside games but i also dont like first come first served for the reasons you mentioned. I think it may end up being a case of first come first server and IF i get min 12 then i will stick a 2nd table somewhere else i can fit it. About the only fair way i can see to do it
Can't you just invite your "regular 9" with a time limit - say 24 or 48 hours - and if they "no" or don't respond private invite off your B-list?

I think what you "want" and what you "have" are two different things. It might take you a year or more to get to where you want. A solid rotation of players with a few alternates willing to step in when a regular is unavailable. So in the mean time, you have to decide if you want to do it the hard way, by inviting a few at a time, in the order you want them, until your have a full group. Or by sending out a mass invite, and just taking who you can get, first come, first serve. I mean, if you want a full table, then you may not have the luxury of being real picky from the get go. That can come later once you have a better idea of who your most reliable and most enjoyable players are.

Can't you just invite your "regular 9" with a time limit - say 24 or 48 hours - and if they "no" or don't respond private invite off your B-list?
thats not a bad idea to be honest. Just dont tell your B listers they are on the B list or you may find your B listers fighting your A listers with sticks on your front lawn :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think what you "want" and what you "have" are two different things. It might take you a year or more to get to where you want. A solid rotation of players with a few alternates willing to step in when a regular is unavailable. So in the mean time, you have to decide if you want to do it the hard way, by inviting a few at a time, in the order you want them, until your have a full group. Or by sending out a mass invite, and just taking who you can get, first come, first serve. I mean, if you want a full table, then you may not have the luxury of being real picky from the get go. That can come later once you have a better idea of who your most reliable and most enjoyable players are.
This ^

Also if you offer on first come first served then people may become quicker to commit to attending so that they get a slot. This could end up getting you a game with the people who really want to play the most. Yeah the odd time someone may miss out but then its worth them remembering that the one time they play someone else missed out

Yeah, def. different things. I was planning on doing it the hard way, at least this time, but it feels like I'm taking the "no"s and "maybe"s and "nothing"s too personally. If this falls through I will consider the "blaster" approach for the next one.

This ^

Also if you offer on first come first served then people may become quicker to commit to attending so that they get a slot. This could end up getting you a game with the people who really want to play the most. Yeah the odd time someone may miss out but then its worth them remembering that the one time they play someone else missed out
Good point about "weeding your own garden" for getting people who really want to play or have a more open schedule to be able to play. More often than not, that'll be your "regulars".

Until you have a problem with having to turn people away, don't worry about that problem.

My game was nascent prior to Covid. Every time I had a game I was scrambling to get one or two more last minute. The day there are too many to play, I'll worry about it - and prob do a first come first served situation or just plan less far in advance

Until you have a problem with having to turn people away, don't worry about that problem.

My game was nascent prior to Covid. Every time I had a game I was scrambling to get one or two more last minute. The day there are too many to play, I'll worry about it - and prob do a first come first served situation or just plan less far in advance

Yeah, similar boats. Have you restarted yet? How's it going if so? When are you planning, if not?

Your list of semi regs and regs needs to be at least double what you want at each game in my experience.

And to quote everyone on here, "if you're game ain't growin', it's dyin'". Never stop recruiting - once you get to where you want to be - someone will move, lose a job, have a baby, grow to hate poker, etc.

Yeah, similar boats. Have you restarted yet? How's it going if so? When are you planning, if not?

First game is June 4. I have about 9 RSVPs, but things always change week of. I have a few friends I coordinate dates with and then invite the others. We always plan a month ahead bc everyone has to clear it with families and preempt wives making other plans.

First game is June 4. I have about 9 RSVPs, but things always change week of. I have a few friends I coordinate dates with and then invite the others. We always plan a month ahead bc everyone has to clear it with families and preempt wives making other plans.
Yeah...maybe that's part of my issue...sent out invite Monday for a Friday game. :X

My long-term plan is to move the game to last Friday of every month. But not on that schedule yet...just trying to get something going now that the numbers are down and many are vaccinated, partially vaccinated, or getting vaccinated soon.

Also, not sure of your age group, but most of my group has kids ranging from elementary school to high school and this time of year is fully of "kid shit". May has always been my hardest month in regards to RSVPs.

Don't let one invite discourage you.

Sadly trying to change direction on this guy, and punt to next Friday instead of this Friday.

Sitting at 2 yes (me counted), 3 maybes (WTF assholes, LOL), 6 nos, 4 ghosters/no responses.

I've got 1 of the nos to commit to next Friday, so if I can get 1 more no or maybe to be able to commit to next Friday, I'll just move it. I think that'll get at least 1 more no and 1 more maybe, hopefully putting us at 5 guaranteed, and I work to fill out the other 4 slots in the meantime. Not sure how I'd feel about a 6-handed or less game...really want to see 8 or 9, but what can you do. The 1 yes I do have is a great resource for "bring a friend" so if my plan works out and he can also do next Friday, there's a chance I can fill out a few seats with his friends who I also know but am not super-friendly with/haven't seen or talked to in a long time.

I use mass SMS and Facebook for scheduling games. I have always run my games first come, first serve for the last 15 years. The regulars/degens will always reply first anyway :LOL: :laugh:

in ontario we are in full blown lockdown and i have guys texting me every three days to get something set up.... fines are huge and im not willing to pay a huge fine or have the cherry/blue lights out side my home at 3 am.... sooooo i am still waiting :(

in ontario we are in full blown lockdown and i have guys texting me every three days to get something set up.... fines are huge and im not willing to pay a huge fine or have the cherry/blue lights out side my home at 3 am.... sooooo i am still waiting :(
Man I feel for you guys. I am reading and hearing about some wild stuff going on up there. So sad how your freedoms and liberties are being stepped all over by overzealous gov't bureaucrats. It sounds like Ontario is much worse than even the ultra-liberal parts of the USA. Keep the faith! Pretty soon the evidence of this pandemic winding down will be too obvious for even the most ardent fascists' within our governments to ignore.

My game was full within minutes each time I have sent out the text invite. I have stayed in contact with my players throughout the pandemic as well. Texting interesting hands from online games or poker news and memes.

I have 6 people playing this Friday. We are playing limit circus games, $5/10 limit with a 1/2 kill to $7.50/15.
Do you play that with snappers?

Do you play that with snappers?

why yes we do.

6396B87A-D6AD-4217-9593-0D09215F7FE9.jpeg

Yeah, I can't wait to start hosting again, but Ontario is completely shut down :(

I'm hoping by summer things should be lifted and I can maybe try to host a few games. I'm also thinking of possibly hosting in my backyard screen room since we'd be outside and technically safer.

wait that is going on now?

Here in Ohio people are pretty much done with it and are returning to normal. Announced today all remaining covid 19 orders will be lifted June 2nd but I already see peopel ignoring them anyway.

That’s awesome !!! I hope we get there soon!! It’s crazy here. But like you , people are done with it. I just don’t want to get caught hosting ten people and getting a massive fine yada yada.

Starting to get our feet wet with some cash games and tournaments - vaccinated players only. Seats fill up LIGHTNING fast so I have set up a tier system - longtime regulars, enthusiastic regulars and then the sometimers. Haven't had a game yet with anything but longtime regulars - there's just not enough seats to go around!

That’s awesome !!! I hope we get there soon!! It’s crazy here. But like you , people are done with it. I just don’t want to get caught hosting ten people and getting a massive fine yada yada.
What are the vaccination rates like in Canada? I think they are significantly behind the US. As those numbers go up I'd expect more and more restrictions to be lifted. Best to probably get your vaccine, encourage others to do the same, and sit tight...stuff will be opening up shortly. I think it's Israel that has very high vaccination numbers and extremely low case numbers. Basically, vaccines work.

Last edited:
Ya I think we are at 40% range. People seem eager to get it. Time will tell. Cheers !!
40% fully vaccinated or 40% partially vaccinated?

NY Times numbers show a different story...Canada @ 44 doses per 100 people, compared to US at 79 doses per 100 people.

Fully vaccinated numbers are way worse for Canada...3.4% fully vaccinated VS 35% fully vaccinated in the US.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom