Restarting game? (1 Viewer)

legonick

Straight
Reaction score
Numbers in my state are looking good (178 7-day average, latest day is 123), so I took the plunge and tossed out an invite via Evite last night for a 9-handed poker tournament. So far, very lackluster responses. 1 guy tossed a maybe (which shouldn't be an option, but you have to be on a paid Evite account to drop it), and one guy tossed a no. Most have viewed the Evite and not responded. Meh! Am I the only one psyched up to play!? I didn't have a strong game before the pandemic...I was just getting one started and then it got shut down. But I expected a good response on this because my guess is a lot of people have not been going out and seeing friends, and this is an opportunity to do so. I'm a little bummed out about the feedback so far.

Anyone else have issues like this?

Starting my game this weekend. 6 people coming (I make 7) Few others are interested but wee not free this weekend.

Yeah I should have stated, mine is a Friday night game, which I was hoping would increase attendance. Maybe people are busy on a Saturday, hiking, work around the house, whatever, but can usually make time on a Friday night.

Pretty sure I'll end up with 1 no from being gone, 1 no from a new baby, 1 no from pandemic concerns.... I'm wondering if I should have texted as that's a more personable way to invite people, and with a lot of these guys it's been pretty quiet due to changes in work place stuff and the pandemic.

I'm wondering if I should have texted as that's a more personable way to invite people

This or email was going to be my suggestion after reading the OP. Maybe the group would like a discussion as to whether or not there are certain precautions, people are or are not vaccinated, etc. Just a simple yes or no may be hard to answer, especially if they have to run it by the boss first.

This or email was going to be my suggestion after reading the OP. Maybe the group would like a discussion as to whether or not there are certain precautions, people are or are not vaccinated, etc. Just a simple yes or no may be hard to answer, especially if they have to run it by the boss first.

Yeah my plan is to ping the non-responders and the "maybe" this afternoon. Hopefully if there is any needs of conversation that'll take care of it. I'm not always good at that stuff. Just come to the game and we can talk! LOL.

Evite is so much easier, especially with "no"s, because you can just add another on the list, instead of having to type it all out again or whatever.

Hosting is a thankless job as we all know, LOL.

We have the first East Village Poker Club game since March 6th 2020 running on Friday. I have the champagne on ice (seriously, 2 bottles) and the Miller Lite in the fridge. Have 11 attendees confirmed, all regs from before, plus a maybe new joiner... my gang are fully ready and raring to go!

are your guys vaccinated? if everyone's vaccinated, shouldn't really be a worry imo. It *should* be easy to get a vaccine now, so at most another month wait.

How was attendance prior to COVID?

Also, had you talked to people about their thoughts about starting the game back up?

My first game (next week) filled up faster than my live sessions prior to COVID generally did.

are your guys vaccinated? if everyone's vaccinated, shouldn't really be a worry imo. It *should* be easy to get a vaccine now, so at most another month wait.
Some are, some aren't. Personally, I'm planning on going for my first shot on Thursday. I know at least 3 other guys are vaccinated. At least another is partially vaccinated.

How was attendance prior to COVID?

Also, had you talked to people about their thoughts about starting the game back up?

My first game (next week) filled up faster than my live sessions prior to COVID generally did.
I was just getting into hosting before COVID-19 hit. I pulled one game together for 9 people (10 there, only 9 played). We all had fun. I've used the pandemic time to invest in my setup...nice, new 9-person poker table, nice cards, borrowing a bigger chip set, much better tournament setup, etc.

I had talked with 2 players prior to starting back up about my plan, didn't really get much "feedback" from them. Both have actually replied no, but for other reasons - one is out of town, the other has a 1-week old.

Man, feeling jelly of your guys stronger games! LOL. I may have to punt 1 weekend where I think I could pull at least 2 more players...we'll see...going after people now for responses...some people show as not having seen the evite.

We were 2 tables strong online a few months ago, and now we're struggling to fill 7 handed games on a regularly scheduled weekly game. I am vaccinated, as are most of our locals, and I'm not sure if people are starting to venture out to restaurants/bars/establishments more, of if it's an online-only issue.

I have a wedding and honeymoon coming up, and hope to get live games going again (in the garage for now) in late June. Hoping we get some good pent up re-opening responses to our evite!

We were 2 tables strong online a few months ago, and now we're struggling to fill 7 handed games on a regularly scheduled weekly game. I am vaccinated, as are most of our locals, and I'm not sure if people are starting to venture out to restaurants/bars/establishments more, of if it's an online-only issue.

I have a wedding and honeymoon coming up, and hope to get live games going again (in the garage for now) in late June. Hoping we get some good pent up re-opening responses to our evite!
Yeah that's what I was hoping (dreaming?) for...people pent up, haven't been able to play, or hit up restaurants/bars, etc., and this game would be a venue to "see your friends again", "hang out", etc. Hopefully you'll have a bit more luck than what it's looking like for me!

We have been playing periodically since about last September I want to say. Our group is a close knit batch of friends who last year were social distanced (wfh, kids did remote classes, not going out unless really needed, mask, etc). Most of us have kids or elder parents we like to see when needed to assist them with stuff so tried to be safe for our family's sakes. Took a while before we got the first game going but games slowly played more often but with the same group. Sometimes 5 or 6 handed and a few times 9 handed.

We were comfortable with our group and if anyone had any issues such as a cough, fever, just feeling really tired or something along those lines we'd tell each other. Even when we may have had a scare of a close contact having a confirmed case we'd play it safe and would avoid the game or get a test or two prior to showing up if both the tests came back negative. We were open about what was going on and if anyone felt uncomfortable about something they could voice that up. If it felt risky we'd postpone/cancel the game until next time.

It took a couple of weeks of discussions before not only the players were comfortable, but also our counterparts (wives) were comfortable enough with us getting together to play. I generally helped organize the games by reach out to the group and then individuals who don't reply. Some are just bad and communicating so need that extra touch to get them to respond. I saw the same thing with evite which you see now... lots of people viewing and not responding so I had to reach out to some of them individually via text to get a response. Most of the time they were waiting to confirm something with their family (events that may or may not happen that evening which would interfere with attendance) or simply forgot after they read the evite. I only use something like evite for larger events like BBQs and found texting to be easier for poker games.

At this point everyone has had at least one vaccine shot and most have had both.

We used to play on Thursday nights, but changed to Friday nights because that did make it easier for many to attend. Bonus is that since the next day is Saturday there's not the dread of getting up for work with a slight hangover. Even now it's sometimes difficult to fill the game so we try again the following week. I would say we play about once a month, but sometimes more often as long as it fit enough of the players schedules.

My game was full within minutes each time I have sent out the text invite. I have stayed in contact with my players throughout the pandemic as well. Texting interesting hands from online games or poker news and memes.

I have 6 people playing this Friday. We are playing limit circus games, $5/10 limit with a 1/2 kill to $7.50/15.

I sent my invite yesterday too and got a good interest. I was pleasantly surprised. Response was kinda slow rolling in tho. Many responded today. Some might need time to think.

We used to schedule quite far in advance, so this is slated for June 4. Hoping people don’t back out.

I phrased it as gauging interest, let’s work out specifics together. I’m not sure what people are going to expect for numbers, masks etc

Starting with a small 6 hand cash game next saturday, luckily seats went within 30 mins lol. Been using band after another member suggested it. Decent so far
This. Get your group on the Band app that way you can discuss issues, schedules, commitments, etc. I use it for my online game, and will probably do the same if I ever start hosting regular live games.

I am hosting my first two table event since March of last year on Saturday. I'm full with a wait-list and am requiring vaccinations. It filled pretty quick, a handful of regs are out, but my list is large enough that after the regulars get the email, there are enough casual players to fill the gaps.

It sounds like you are restarting from near scratch. Keep it up, encourage word of mouth referrals, and run a good game. You will get there.

This. Get your group on the Band app that way you can discuss issues, schedules, commitments, etc. I use it for my online game, and will probably do the same if I ever start hosting regular live games.
I'm torn about using a "group chat" for that type of stuff. I'm wanting to create a solid 9-person game which will contain hopefully no/low maintenance regulars, playing about once a month. My age group means that a lot of people simply can't make every game - other plans, vacations, family commitments, etc. I want to be able to control an invite list that prioritizes past commitments so that the group can become more regular. Say you have a 9 person table...how do you invite only 9 people if your group of players is much larger? First come, first serve is OK but a bit lame. The guy who is a model player, and has attended the last 6 games, could get screwed because he wasn't hitting "refresh" on BAND fast enough.

If you only ever have 9 people in your group chat, then you'll almost never have a full table because it's a lot to expect 9 people to show up every time.

Say you have a 9 person table...how do you invite only 9 people if your group of players is much larger? First come, first serve is OK but a bit lame. The guy who is a model player, and has attended the last 6 games, could get screwed because he wasn't hitting "refresh" on BAND fast enough.
Email groups.

A-List, B-List, C-List

I am hosting my first two table event since March of last year on Saturday. I'm full with a wait-list and am requiring vaccinations. It filled pretty quick, a handful of regs are out, but my list is large enough that after the regulars get the email, there are enough casual players to fill the gaps.

It sounds like you are restarting from near scratch. Keep it up, encourage word of mouth referrals, and run a good game. You will get there.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I needed to hear that. I have a deep list of people to ask, but these early "no"s and "maybe"s are hurting my resolve. Let me keep plowing through the list and see if something sticks. And if it does, maybe toss out some "please bring a friend" action, and that'll be a good starting point. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I needed to hear that. I have a deep list, but these early "no"s and "maybe"s are hurting my resolve. Let me keep plowing through the list and see if something sticks. And if it does, maybe toss out some "please bring a friend" action, and that'll be a good starting point. :)
Also, not sure of your age group, but most of my group has kids ranging from elementary school to high school and this time of year is fully of "kid shit". May has always been my hardest month in regards to RSVPs.

Don't let one invite discourage you.

Just restarted my game last Friday. Typically 9-10 player cash game, haven’t played since feb 2020. Had only 6 players including a brand new player. I introduced Scrotum for the first time and we wound up playing that for the rest of the night. Scrotum is going to be my new go to game when shorthanded now as there is plenty of action.
800FF3CC-7603-49AA-BD32-31456CCB26C4.jpeg

Also, not sure of your age group, but most of my group has kids ranging from elementary school to high school and this time of year is fully of "kid shit". May has always been my hardest month in regards to RSVPs.

Don't let one invite discourage you.

It's a mix of younger to mid-to-late-30s. Lots have kids, some are school aged, most not quite school age yet, which has it's own challenges. What's so big with school stuff in May? LOL.

It's a mix of younger to mid-to-late-30s. Lots have kids, some are school aged, most not quite school age yet, which has it's own challenges. What's so big with school stuff in May? LOL.
May is our last month of school. All kinds of crap going on.

My June game is typically banging. July and Aug are tricky with vacations.

Just restarted my game last Friday. Typically 9-10 player cash game, haven’t played since feb 2020. Had only 6 players including a brand new player. I introduced Scrotum for the first time and we wound up playing that for the rest of the night. Scrotum is going to be my new go to game when shorthanded now as there is plenty of action.
View attachment 697498
What's up with that game name? LOL. Let's add "my" in front of each time we see the game name.

"I introduced my Scrotum for the first time and we wound up playing that for the rest of the night. My Scrotum is going to be my new go to game when shorthanded now as there is plenty of action." I would imagine that would generate plenty of action! LOL.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

But congrat.s on getting something together! At this moment, counting "maybe"s as "no"s and non-responders as "no"s, I'm 1 for 11. 0/11 if you don't count myself, ROFL.

May is our last month of school. All kinds of crap going on.

My June game is typically banging. July and Aug are tricky with vacations.

Cool, yeah, didn't figure on the school thing. Vacation stuff is why I was hoping this would be a good turn out, because I know people get busy over the summer. I am hoping to kick off strong, then struggle through the summer, and maybe have a solid group going into prime fall/winter/early spring play.

I'm torn about using a "group chat" for that type of stuff. I'm wanting to create a solid 9-person game which will contain hopefully no/low maintenance regulars, playing about once a month. My age group means that a lot of people simply can't make every game - other plans, vacations, family commitments, etc. I want to be able to control an invite list that prioritizes past commitments so that the group can become more regular. Say you have a 9 person table...how do you invite only 9 people if your group of players is much larger? First come, first serve is OK but a bit lame. The guy who is a model player, and has attended the last 6 games, could get screwed because he wasn't hitting "refresh" on BAND fast enough.

If you only ever have 9 people in your group chat, then you'll almost never have a full table because it's a lot to expect 9 people to show up every time.
If you have a scenario like that, then you don't really need the communication app. But it sounds like you don't, because you mentioned players not making it every games.

Why not set out your "regular group" of 9, then a second group of alternates that only can come if a regular is not available. You could still use a communication app, just make it clear to everyone who the regulars are, and who the alternates are.

band SHOULD alert them just like any otherr text or messenger notification if they have it set correct. For me i have 14 people that want to play but i understand your issue. I dont want to do first refusal like we do for our 5 aside games but i also dont like first come first served for the reasons you mentioned. I think it may end up being a case of first come first server and IF i get min 12 then i will stick a 2nd table somewhere else i can fit it. About the only fair way i can see to do it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom