Recommendations for a small, economical home printer? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I need a new printer for home, just for mixed games cards, proof of insurance, my autobiographical screenplay, if I ever decide to write it.

A small footprint is a must. Scan/copy is not necessary, but a plus. I’d gladly pay more for reliability and economical ink.

What are some good options?

I bought an HP3830 about three months ago and I am very pleased with it. Went with the 100 pages per month ink subscription @$4.99 per month which I really like. My old HP printer cartridges kept drying out. Not an issue with the new printer. It is an all-in-one. I use it primarily as a printer, but also quite a bit of scanning. Occasional copies. Never faxing (who faxes anymore?).

Go laser. Brother makes some killer low-cost machines that run like indestructable tanks forever. I've had an old HL-2140 at home for 2-3 years after I upgraded the office's printers to built-in wireless. It must be 10 years old and stll prints as well as the day I bought it, and I use aftermarket toner for about 1/4th the factory price. I gave up inkjets decades ago.

Yep, I went with a Brother laser printer about 5 years ago and it's great for my usage. I don't print very often and the inkjet would always get clogged or dry out between prints. I just ordered a new toner cartridge for my laser printer and realized that the previous one lasted 4 years.

If you're considering an all-in-one, look for a scanner with CCD scanning technology, not CIS. CCD is great for colors, which is important for scanning chips. If you see scans of chips that look washed out and where you have to explain that the color is actually hot pink or blaze orange, it's likely that they were scanned with a CIS scanner. I have an old HP Laser Jet M1522nf with a CCD scanner and get great scans.

Last edited:
All-in-ones are expensive to keep in ink if you don't use them daily.

For the least expensive home printing, I've found Brother black-and-white lasers to be the ticket.

(If you want *really* cheap, I have an old daisy wheel beastie and an equally old thermal printer in a closet here somewhere... :cool)

All-in-ones are expensive to keep in ink if you don't use them daily.

For the least expensive home printing, I've found Brother black-and-white lasers to be the ticket.

(If you want *really* cheap, I have an old daisy wheel beastie and an equally old thermal printer in a closet here somewhere... :cool)
I'll take it if you ship it to me at your expense. :D

I was assuming that color laser AIOs would be much too expensive, so referring only to inkjets. Sorry, should have been more explicit. :(
Color printing didn't even occur to me. My laser printer is b&w.

The real purpose of my post was to comment on scanner technology if an AIO is considered. I wasn't very explicit, either.

.... I would recommend not buying one unless you do a whole lot of printing... and then I would still recommend not buying one.

Then what would you put in your file folders and file cabinets? Definitely radical, but the trees would be thankful...

I like how the guy in the article said he just walked down the hill from his apartment to the print shop when he needed something, assuming everyone could just do the same. But yeah, I get the sentiment that printers will eventually go away.

The ONLY thing I print is USPS flat rate labels. Wish I could get a lable printer.

I do fondly remember my Deskjet 500, however. It's probably still in my garage/graveyard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom