Tourney Rebuys in bounty tourneys? (1 Viewer)

Lol, lots-o-words about words. :D

Another monkey-wrench in the works is when stack surrenders are allowed in lieu of a no-chips re-buy. This is a case of a player buying a new stack but retaining their initial bounty chip, so why should they lose it if they rebuy with zero chips?

For @Beaniman, these are commomly-used tournament definitions:
  • Re-buy -- if felted, player may immediately purchase chips (often equal to the starting stack, but not always) with player retaining seating position. Often limited to one or two per player or limited to a specific length of time, but may be implemented with zero restictions (unlimited number per player, or for entire duration of event).
  • Re-entry -- player may re-enter event after elimination (pays all fees, receives all the things, and is treated as a new player regarding seating). Usually only available during a specified time window.
  • Re-load -- player pays full amount up front, but only gets 1/2 stack to start. If felted, player automatically reloads with the second half-stack. Usually automatically added at a preset time if not used by then.
  • Add-on -- player can add a predetermined amount of chips onto their stack. Lots of ways this can be structured, with the most common being: a) prior to event start, b) if stack size falls below a pre-defined size, c) at a specific point in time later in the event, or d) some combination of the above. Add-on size can range from a small amount (10bb, for example), equal to a half-stack, or up to a size equal to the starting stack.
In our bounty/re-buy events, players are issued both REBUY chips and BOUNTY chips. To denote an all-in, they toss in their REBUY chip (not their BOUNTY chip), making it clear that their bounty is not at risk. Their BOUNTY chip is only included in the pot if they are at risk of being totally eliminated.
Seems silly for my size player pool. You lose all your chips you have to re-whateveryouwanttocallittogetanotherstackofchipstoplaywith. :p

One day maybe I'll be in the big leagues, for now its just 10-20 guys in base housing.

In our bounty/re-buy events, players are issued both REBUY chips and BOUNTY chips. To denote an all-in, they toss in their REBUY chip (not their BOUNTY chip), making it clear that their bounty is not at risk. Their BOUNTY chip is only included in the pot if they are at risk of being totally eliminated.

I think we're the only ones here who share this perspective.

I imagine @BGinGA sitting in a semi-circle of computer screens all day watching live tournaments on some, browsing TDA forums on others, and filtering it to us here at PCF, with others showing a montage of chip pron from his vaults on any remaining displays. Seriously, your posts are next level patient and detailed bro! Thank you!

Our bounty tournaments with rebuys the bounty is figured into the buy in and rebuy. So if its $40 buy and $5 of that is the bounty, and $40 rebuy $5 of that is bounty. So you get a new bounty chip with each rebuy and you can only lose your original bounty chip so any you've stacked up are worth $5 each. Like Monday we had a guy that cashed out in 3rd but he had 15 bounties so he made out pretty good.
So if I lose all of my original stack, I lose my bounty, then if I rebuy, I get a new bounty?
But if I rebuy right at the beginning, I get a second bounty, but if I lose all my chips, I only lose one bounty?

So if I lose all of my original stack, I lose my bounty, then if I rebuy, I get a new bounty?
But if I rebuy right at the beginning, I get a second bounty, but if I lose all my chips, I only lose one bounty?
I think this should be corrected from 'original' to 'your own'. At least I assume thats what he meant.

You can't lose bounties you have collected*

I should have left this thread alone.

giphy (9).gif

Seems silly for my size player pool. You lose all your chips you have to re-whateveryouwanttocallittogetanotherstackofchipstoplaywith. :p

One day maybe I'll be in the big leagues, for now its just 10-20 guys in base housing.
Not silly, just different ways of doing things and accurately describing them so nobody gets surprised.

It's like only the last guy to touch your car with a rag at a team carwash being the only one that gets paid, in my mind. Everyone did the same amount of work but only one guy gets paid...

This is the worst logic I have read in a very long time.

You compare the "work" of eliminating a player to work of washing a car? If you take T9,975 of a T10,000 stack you think the guy that took the last T25 chip did the work?

Bounties are just a fun addition to most games. If they are large (relative to the prize pool) they may influence action, but most of the time it is just a nice bonus for being in the right spot at the right time. I've never read a strategy thread where someone asked "is there a bounty", so they could add that to their calculations. It may be considered as a part of ICM, but the bounty is usually not even going to move the meter for ICM in the early tournament - pre-rebuy.

One thing bounties are not, is "work".

This is the worst logic I have read in a very long time.

You compare the "work" of eliminating a player to work of washing a car? If you take T9,975 of a T10,000 stack you think the guy that took the last T25 chip did the work?

Bounties are just a fun addition to most games. If they are large (relative to the prize pool) they may influence action, but most of the time it is just a nice bonus for being in the right spot at the right time. I've never read a strategy thread where someone asked "is there a bounty", so they could add that to their calculations. It may be considered as a part of ICM, but the bounty is usually not even going to move the meter for ICM in the early tournament - pre-rebuy.

One thing bounties are not, is "work".
Absolutely, the "work" is busting a player in my example. Otherwise you would to draw a compelling line at what % of that stack is worth the bounty. It's the last chip, if that's the only one he has or just one of thousands.

Work is just a word describing effort causing a result. Here the successful result is 'bust' so the 'work' is the act of busting. Effort not causing a result is not work, it's wasted effort. Like pushing on a 100lb weight with 99lbs of force, nothing is accomplished. Again, semantics.

To be clear, my point was that it was unfair to pay only the bounty to the person busting a players last rebuy and not awarding a player a bounty to the guy who busted his first rebuy. To use your own example, NOT giving a bounty to someone who stacks a guy with a full T10, 000 stack but awarding a bounty to the guy who takea the last T25 in that guys last bullet. I think we are on the same page TBH.

Last edited:
You can in some games. It's called 'progressive bounties".
I wish those were easier to execute live, because I’d love to try those out. Though it seems counterintuitive, I think those are actually a compromise that lessen the value of bounties.

If I'm understanding the question right, I think you must be felted in his scenario to rebuy, so you couldn't buy-in (get one bounty) and then immediately rebuy (without being felted) to a double stack (now with 2 bounties). You would only have possession of one "loseable" bounty at any time.

I'm glad I don't work at your car wash.

"You hosed the car, hand washed, gleaned the glass inside and out, vacuumed the floors, cleaned the air-vents, and dried it off, but Jimmy hung the air freshner, so only Jimmy gets paid. He did all the work."

You can't lose the bounties you win, sorry if I misspoke. You can only rebuy if felted. So basically you get a bounty with each stack. We just don't purchase bounties separately like some places do, they're built in.

This is a really good discussion I just dug up and I'm only really commenting so I can find it again and to say how attractive, intelligent, and caring all of you fine people are. Now I need to decide if I want to add this insanity to my game. Certainly sounds like it can add a bit of fun.

FWIW I think my brain can only handle each time you stack somebody you get their Bounty. Each Rebuy or Re-entry comes with Bounty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom