Range adjustments when short handed...

johnnyesper

Two Pair
Reaction score
Question: how much do your ranges and your perceived ranges change as you become short handed?
Last night we had a 4 person PFC tourney. I found it awkward because we were so deep. This was not a final table situation, more like an uncapped cash game. I have been struggling to understand my lines in this scenarios. Thoughts?

Legend5555

Flush
Reaction score
I just look at it like what range of hands would I play if it folded to me in my position in a full game? And that's obviously more hands naturally.

DrStrange

Full House
Reaction score
My range expands massively four handed. Not insane stuff, but Hero should be involved at least one hand in four. Top 25% to 30% is a lots of hands.

My aggression attempts go up, my sizing tends to go down. Hero is almost never in a low SPR situation and his play should reflect this.

Fewer fancy plays make sense. But this is highly villain / situation specific.

In general, short handed play is more about the villains, position and table dynamics and less about Hero's cards.

Buckle up, butter cup. It is going to be a bumpy ride -=- DrStrange

johnnyesper

Two Pair
Reaction score
My range expands massively four handed. Not insane stuff, but Hero should be involved at least one hand in four. Top 25% to 30% is a lots of hands.

My aggression attempts go up, my sizing tends to go down. Hero is almost never in a low SPR situation and his play should reflect this.

Fewer fancy plays make sense. But this is highly villain / situation specific.

In general, short handed play is more about the villains, position and table dynamics and less about Hero's cards.

Buckle up, butter cup. It is going to be a bumpy ride -=- DrStrange

Thank you sir. This was very helpful. I'm going to look at the 25-30% range to see the playabilty of those hands. Its a good study point.

Last edited:

JustinInMN

Full House
Reaction score
I think 25-30% is a good rule of thumb, but I have been in positions where I will push that to 50% or more if villians aren't responding to aggression.

Shorthanded is so villian specific. There is just no writing a manual on it. Just think about principles and your opponents.
In general aggression is rewarded because I don't think most players are good at making this adjustment at all.

Top Bottom