Range adjustments when short handed... (1 Viewer)

johnnyesper

Two Pair
Reaction score
Question: how much do your ranges and your perceived ranges change as you become short handed?
Last night we had a 4 person PFC tourney. I found it awkward because we were so deep. This was not a final table situation, more like an uncapped cash game. I have been struggling to understand my lines in this scenarios. Thoughts?

I just look at it like what range of hands would I play if it folded to me in my position in a full game? And that's obviously more hands naturally.

My range expands massively four handed. Not insane stuff, but Hero should be involved at least one hand in four. Top 25% to 30% is a lots of hands.

My aggression attempts go up, my sizing tends to go down. Hero is almost never in a low SPR situation and his play should reflect this.

Fewer fancy plays make sense. But this is highly villain / situation specific.

In general, short handed play is more about the villains, position and table dynamics and less about Hero's cards.

Buckle up, butter cup. It is going to be a bumpy ride -=- DrStrange

My range expands massively four handed. Not insane stuff, but Hero should be involved at least one hand in four. Top 25% to 30% is a lots of hands.

My aggression attempts go up, my sizing tends to go down. Hero is almost never in a low SPR situation and his play should reflect this.

Fewer fancy plays make sense. But this is highly villain / situation specific.

In general, short handed play is more about the villains, position and table dynamics and less about Hero's cards.

Buckle up, butter cup. It is going to be a bumpy ride -=- DrStrange

Thank you sir. This was very helpful. I'm going to look at the 25-30% range to see the playabilty of those hands. Its a good study point.

Last edited:
I think 25-30% is a good rule of thumb, but I have been in positions where I will push that to 50% or more if villians aren't responding to aggression.

Shorthanded is so villian specific. There is just no writing a manual on it. Just think about principles and your opponents.
In general aggression is rewarded because I don't think most players are good at making this adjustment at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom