Raised Rails (1 Viewer)

RoyalOak

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So I'm going to order a custom Chanman table and wanted to hear your opinions and preferences for raised rails. Do you like them? How high do you like them? Your favorite material; and pattern? What do you think of the illuminated rails? Thanks!

^^ Agree -- anything higher can get uncomfortable after long periods of time. And illuminated rails, although cool-to-some, can be distracting and tiring on the eyes. Ample room illumination is tons more important.

+1 for 3/4” raised rail...stained or painted.

7B65FD9E-1CDB-40FC-B2F2-08E49C25FD37.jpeg

Last edited:
^^ Agree -- anything higher can get uncomfortable after long periods of time. And illuminated rails, although cool-to-some, can be distracting and tiring on the eyes. Ample room illumination is tons more important.
Nice to know!

Yep, 3/4" here also.
Also agree with @BGinGA on the lights. There are in initial "wow', and can really look bad ass but not much for me after that.

I dont turn my lights up full brightness, but I’d argue they actually help some with illuminating the cards that we all cup our hands over tightly when peeking. At first I’d also thought the lights were purely aesthetic but have come to realize they help me see the cards better.

You can see in the pics how much the lighting illuminates closer to the rail... I’ve never once been distracted by the lights.

8EFE988B-E7E0-43DE-BEE7-5B602F6F71C4.jpeg
7443006B-C306-4C3B-947B-8053D646DB49.jpeg

I never use my lighted rail when playing cards. If we use the table for something else I sometimes put the lights on when the glass topper is on it. It's also a cool night light when we have sleep over guests. :D

If I get another table, I will skip the lights (and the added cost) and just get a 3/4" raised rail.

May i ask why you prefer the drink carts to the cup holders?

Simple answer is because drink carts are better (so long as you have the room)

More complex answer is cupholders limit where your beverages and/or arms can rest, and it puts people into specific spaces at the table. if you don’t have cupholders in rail, people can adjust with zero issues.

In the rail isn’t bad, and most dont mind them, but I feel the carts are better overall..

Wow! That table looks great! Might do something very similar. May i ask why you prefer the drink carts to the cup holders?

Bottles, cans & cups just get in the way. My tables have cup holders but I also have about 10 drink carts. Very few use the cup holders in the rail. Almost everyone prefers the carts.

Problem with not putting cup holders in the rail I’ve found is people’s instinct is to put their drink on the playing surface. and you have to keep telling them.

Cool idea? How heavy is it?

Depends how thick, of course. An alternative to a tempered glass top would be a thick acrylic sheet. Less weight for the same volume, and somewhat more durable. However, can darken a bit in prolonged direct sunlight. Whether a glass or acrylic top, always good to brace underneath at the very center of the table to prevent bowing.

Cover it with a tablecloth and nobody would be the wiser that there's a gaming table underneath.

Oh man, that is VERY cool! I love it! Beautiful table too. (y) :thumbsup: I may have to order a glass top for my BBO table.....the current dining top that came with it is nice but too heavy and unwieldy to remove with one person. I like this solution. Additionally you can display chips and buttons on the table while the glass top is on. Thanks for the photos and link to GlassTopsDirect!

Last edited:
@Tommy , just curious, does your glass top just lay directly on top the padded rail of your poker table or is there something between the table and the glass topper? I just checked on the GlassTopsDirect site and it says each glass topper comes with free "bumpons".....whatever those are. I guess they would protect the surface of a regular wood dinning table from direct contact with/scratching from the glass rather than being needed for the padded rail of a poker table. Does your topper move or slide at all while you're using/leaning on it? I have cup holders in my table rail so I'm wondering if that would cause the glass topper to move/slide at all.

Last edited:
@Tommy , just curious, does your glass top just lay directly on top the padded rail of your poker table or is there something between the table and the glass topper? I just checked on the GlassTopsDirect site and it says each glass topper comes with free "bumpons".....whatever those are. I guess they would protect the surface of a regular wood dinning table from direct contact with/scratching from the glass rather than being needed for the padded rail of a poker table. Does your topper move or slide at all while you're using/leaning on it? I have cup holders in my table rail so I'm wondering if that would cause the glass topper to move/slide at all.

Directly on the padded rail. It does not move around at all. I don't have any cup holders so I don't know how they will effect it. If they are slightly sunken into the padded rail, it should be fine. I don't recall my glass top coming with any bumpons. If it did, I probably tossed them in the trash.

Directly on the padded rail. It does not move around at all. I don't have any cup holders so I don't know how they will effect it. If they are slightly sunken into the padded rail, it should be fine. I don't recall my glass top coming with any bumpons. If it did, I probably tossed them in the trash.

No movement at all, that's great! My cup holders are only slightly sunken into the rail so I should be ok then. Thanks for the info!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom