Qled/Oled vs 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new TV for my basement. I’m looking into 65” TV, and am pondering between the Samsung QLED or 4K UHD. It’s about $800-$1000 difference between the 2, but is it worth it? Nothing really broadcasts or displays in the QLED sharpness, and UHD is still in its infancy (Netflix and some blu-rays)

Those of you into this .. what is my best option?
($700 vs $1599) for a 65”

Mark

Qled is just a fancy LED tv, OLED is the best out right now and super worth it. Doesn't matter what the source is I can see the difference in quality when watching even YouTube. The blacks are amazing

After a quick search... OLEDs start at around 2500... which is out of my budget...

Is the QLED not really worth it?

After a quick search... OLEDs start at around 2500... which is out of my budget...

They are still super nice!! TV’s have gotten so much better in the last 5 years... you’re paying a lot for smaller and smaller gains, ie if you choose to buy an OLED. OLEDs are better but not twice the cost better.

Another vote for OLED.

Was a plasma fan and was very upset when my samsung died. the ONLY tv that came close was an OLED.
Picture is Amazing.
Upgrade your apple TV too to 4k. TV only as good as your input. (even though i have my complaints about apples 4k)

So, I don’t have an Apple TV, or Fire Stick. I’ve got Verizon fios (no 4k programming yet), and Netflix/Hulu. I’ll get a 4k BluRay player, but that’s it. We don’t watch much TV. I want to watch movies though, if I ever get the time.. **sigh**

I literally bought a TV last week and was having this same debate. We've only owned Samsung and that's who I was looking at initially. After doing more research and actually going to the stores to compare pictures the OLED TVs are the best hands down. Nothing compared with their pictures.

We ended up going with a 2018 model C8 65" OLED LG. Arriving on Tuesday and I can't wait! FYI, Newegg was offering them for $1900 while the 55" was around $1350.

I literally bought a TV last week and was having this same debate. We've only owned Samsung and that's who I was looking at initially. After doing more research and actually going to the stores to compare pictures the OLED TVs are the best hands down. Nothing compared with their pictures.

We ended up going with a 2018 model C8 65" OLED LG. Arriving on Tuesday and I can't wait! FYI, Newegg was offering them for $1900 while the 55" was around $1350.

Nice!! That’s the same model I have except from last year.

OLED + 4K movies is really worth it... then add a little home stereo and you’re set.

I’ve got the surround sound built in. Not the best speakers, but they work. Just bought a new receiver too, and can’t wait to hook everything up

Nice!! That’s the same model I have except from last year.

OLED + 4K movies is really worth it... then add a little home stereo and you’re set.

I'm super stoked. Our current TV is 11 years old so this will be a tremendous upgrade in quality. My 4 year old and I have been watching Netflix's Our Planet the last few days and are already making plans to watch it in 4k when we get the new TV.

FYI, Newegg was offering them for $1900 while the 55" was around $1350.

That's good news. I still love my Panasonic plasma, but it's 7 years old and will need replacement before too long. Been waiting for OLED price points to drop to this level. ($5000 for a chip set is standard for me, but I won't spend more than 2k on a TV)

Friday I purchase a Samsung QLED series 7 (2018 model). I did a lot of research thought that was the sweet spot for price and quality. I Love it so far!!

I know the OLED is at the top, but just not worth the cost for me personally. I will be getting an 80+" TV when my movie room in the basement is done, and OLED prices are INSANE when you go over 65 inches.

OLED tv picture quality is better, no arguing that. LG makes all the OLED screens (even for Sony). The only negatives I’ve heard about OLED are burn ins, some pixels might age differently than others, it’s not as bright as QLED, and concerns on longevity because the technology is so new. QLED is better than the UHD. Older Samsung models have edge lit QLED. The Q9FN model (2018 version?) is the first one to to a full backlit QLED, which is better than the edge lit models as it offers more areas that can be controlled, offering more contrast, color control, etc. The 2019 model has more back panels than the Q9FN and offers better angled viewing. But comes at s price. FWIW I will eventually get a full backlit QLED because of the brightness and longevity. But OLED pictures are amazing. I recommend you look at each one by themselves individually. You will only see that the OLED is better than the QLED which is better than the UHD if you have them all side by side, which you won’t at home.

Like many have said, OLED is the greatest TV technology ever invented and I would pick a 1080 OLED (not sure they make that...but I’m making a point) over a 4K anything else. Unless you are sitting a foot or two from the tv your eye can’t resolve 4K. I think 4Ks best best application now is for projectors or extremely large screen TVs. But then we have to wait for more content.

The benefits of OLED are color and blacks...which are the best ever and hard to improve on now going forward.

That said, take some time and do your research. Join and search a AV forum which will probably lead to more in depth info than a poker chip forum :p Good luck with the search!

This is a good one
https://www.avsforum.com/

I bought the LG 65” C7 4K OLED and I’m absolutely stunned by the picture quality. Got it for under $1500 during a sale. Absolutely worth it.

Keep an eye on deals on slickdeals and pounce when the price is right.

That's good news. I still love my Panasonic plasma, but it's 7 years old and will need replacement before too long. Been waiting for OLED price points to drop to this level. ($5000 for a chip set is standard for me, but I won't spend more than 2k on a TV)
I have 3 Panasonic plasmas including one 65VT60. It’s going to be tough to find a non-plasma that competes with it...but technology is finally getting better.

I have 3 Panasonic plasmas including one 65VT60. It’s going to be tough to find a non-plasma that competes with it...but technology is finally getting better.
I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and one Samsung plasma. Also Been waiting on OLED to come down before I upgrade. Until OLED nothing could beat plasma. The only thing I don’t like is the heat plasma generates. Between that and my projector, my basement heats up when I have people over.

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and one Samsung plasma. Also Been waiting on OLED to come down before I upgrade. Until OLED nothing could beat plasma. The only thing I don’t like is the heat plasma generates. Between that and my projector, my basement heats up when I have people over.
You’re not kidding. The heat definitely radiates out and heats up the room. In the winter it’s fine but in the summer, not so much.

I bought the LG 65” C8 OLED less than a month ago and it is freakin awesome. Best tv I’ve ever owned
The true blacks are insane. People complaining about GoT last week being too dark was funny as the OLED had 1000x more clarity in the dark scenes than anything an LCD could do.
Sorry, I know you said it’s out of your budget, but it’s the only “real” option.

It looks like a lot of people are using the LG’s... they seriously are the best bang for the buck as far as OLEDs are concerned. I’ve compared them next to each other and I see no difference between the LG and Sony OLED’s but Sony’s cost way more. And again, Sony buys the panels from LG.

The user menu is also really friendly with the LG.

Looks like everyone is up selling you on here... typical PCF. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It’s like you don’t really need those Jacks... Tiki Kings work just fine!

another vote for OLED. Bought an 55" LG C8 OLED in December... got it at the time here for 1400 Swiss Francs (roughly the same in USD). My only regret is that I didn't just spring for 65".

I’ve got Verizon fios (no 4k programming yet), and Netflix/Hulu

Don't forget to increase your Netflix subscription to the 4k/HDR plan ~$15.99/month after you get the TV.....I didn't realize there was a difference for about 5 days, then found out about the 3 different levels of streaming plans.......... :oops:

OLED prices are INSANE when you go over 65 inches.

I just used this as the "wife reasoning", "Hey honey, I want to buy the 77" OLED, but it's $7000........so I'll *just* get the 65" for $2500, see how much I'm "saving"!?" :whistle: :whistling: :sneaky:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom