NEW TV (help) (2 Viewers)

TVs are like buying hand made carpets. They put them all side by side in the store and you can see the difference between the $500, $5000 & $50,000 carpets easily. But at home you have only one and nothing to compare it to so the $500 will do fine.

This doesn't work when you're talking OLED vs LED/LCD.... the OLED just blows away everything else because it is such a different technology. Even my wife who doesn't pay attention to this at all, asked why our bedroom TV (46" Samsung LED) had the ghosting/spotlight effects when a dark scene came up. She NEVER would have noticed if we didn't have the 65" OLED in the living room, where you don't get that issue.

For the non-tech savvy, OLED panels have individual pixels that are independently controlled so you can have a solid black pixel right next to a bright white pixel, which cannot be accomplished by backlit LED/LCDs...... it is the most stunning visual experience you can get right now. :)

I remember when Sony debuted the first 11" OLED screen at the CES in 2004, for a low low price of $2500...... I thought, holy crap, I want that but not for the 10s of thousands of dollars an actual (large) TV would cost...

LG OLEDs are some of the best TVS on the market year in and year out. The technology has improved a lot to help protect against burn in. Basically, unless you have terrible luck or a defective unit, it would be your own fault if it did end up burning it so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I also really like the LG WebOS. It's the best TV software I've used. Samsung QLEDs are great TVs but if you want the best color and clarity the OLEDs still rain king.

This doesn't work when you're talking OLED vs LED/LCD.... the OLED just blows away everything else because it is such a different technology. Even my wife who doesn't pay attention to this at all, asked why our bedroom TV (46" Samsung LED) had the ghosting/spotlight effects when a dark scene came up. She NEVER would have noticed if we didn't have the 65" OLED in the living room, where you don't get that issue.
I stand by my point. The only reason your wife noticed the difference was because she had something to compare it to. And of course, something that costs 2x or 3x the price is going to be better. And if you get one OLED, you then have to replace all your TVs with OLED so it's even more money.

I'd rather spend the money saved on chippies.

Oh yeah, one more thing - I think currently only LG makes large TV sized OLED panels. So TVs by Sony, Samsung etc all have LG panels. The TV OS may matter to many but for me, I use a Tivo, Apple TV and Chromecast so the TV is really only acting like a monitor making the TV's native OS redundant.

Oh yeah, one more thing - I think currently only LG makes large TV sized OLED panels. So TVs by Sony, Samsung etc all have LG panels. The TV OS may matter to many but for me, I use a Tivo, Apple TV and Chromecast so the TV is really only acting like a monitor making the TV's native OS redundant.
Yes it is true LG is the only maker of OLED Panels in the world and they supply them to everyone. My Mom's half brother in California used to be president of a Taiwanese company called Tatung which his former wife's family founded. They made Rice Cookers, Fans, other electric appliances like fridges, and smaller electric Items for the home. They had a Subsidiary called Chunghwa Picture Tubes which my Uncle had a major part in and they made first Tube TVs, CRTs, and eventually LCD TV panels and such for a lot of the Major Manufacturers. They were one of the leading manufacturers of LCD's and at one point helped VIZIO get started. A lot of manufacturer's get their TV Panels from only a few major sources around the world. The difference in TVs are the OS and processors they each have. CPT didn't create or have rights to the OLED and it belongs to LG. They do have a technology they got the rights to which is AMOLED which is OLED for smaller electronics. My uncle is not affiliated with those companies any longer though, but it is still owned by the same family.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom