Proper tools for label removal (1 Viewer)

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Straight Flush
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a large number of PGI 8V china clay chips, most of which came with labels. These are nice quality, thick, laminated labels, probably from @Gear Up until now, I've only removed a few at a time, which I can do pretty easily with my thumbnail. But I just finished printing off several hundred new custom labels, so I'm in the process of removing a large number at the same time. I've gotten through about 120 so far, but I've cracked my thumbnail, and have begun to cut the skin underneath my nail from the old labels. I'm wondering if there is a tool that I might use to help me finish up with the remaining 350 labels I need to remove. It would need to be very thin and flexible, as these labels were exact fit into the recess and are hard to get under to pull up. I don't think I would want to use an Exacto knife, as I'm concerned I might slip and slice a finger. Any suggestions?

Just to be clear - I'm NOT removing inlays from Paulson chips. These are just adhesive labels. They peel off nice and clean once I can get under them. I had no problems using my thumbnail, until I broke it and cut the skin under it. And I DON'T want to use anything with a blade.

I need something very thin, reasonably strong, but not too sharp.

Tweezers?
Eyeglass screwdriver?
Sewing needle?

Haven't done this personally, but those would be the first things I'd try.

For that exact purpose (to take off gear labels), I use a dental tool that I got from CVS. The one in the middle. The one on the bottom I use to scape off glue residue. The one up top I use to take off labels that have nail polish applied. All of them work great for their purpose.
D7664278-1D30-4292-BBC3-661807DFDE34.jpeg

For that exact purpose (to take off gear labels), I use a dental tool that I got from CVS. The one in the middle. The one on the bottom I use to scape off glue residue. The one up top I use to take off labels that have nail polish applied. All of them work great for their purpose.
View attachment 561661

I’m a dental hygienist and I approve this message :tup:

Well unless you are just ham handing it, if you're careful you shouldn't do any damage to the chip or you hand with a small X-acto or blade. But I've used dental picks before as well and they can get the job done.

Well unless you are just ham handing it, if you're careful you shouldn't do any damage to the chip or you hand with a small X-acto or blade. But I've used dental picks before as well and they can get the job done.
Not sure it's ham handedness. I am attempting it with a utility blade. There are two issues complicating matters. First is that the label is extremely close to the edge of the depression in the chip. So I have to go straight down along the edge, catch a bit of the label, then flatten out and push the blade towards the center. If I miss getting under enough of the label, the blade shoots towards my other hand that is holding the chip down. The second issue is that the label is two piece. There is a thin paper portion with the image printed on it, topped by a second layer of lamination. It's quite easy to get under the lamination layer, but miss the paper layer. And if I push down too hard trying to get under the paper, I put a nice gouge in the chip. My new labels are smaller the the originals. (1 inch labels in a 1 1/16th inch depression) I want the new label centered for obvious esthetic reasons, so if I gouge it, it will show.

Slowly, but surely I'm getting them done. But I may still order a set of dental picks. Thanks for all the ideas!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom