Problems with plastic cards

Leonard

Flush
Reaction score
What are we doing wrong?

Here is a pic of a relatively new deck of Gemaco cards:

And here is a deck of Bicycle Prestige:

In total, this year, we have had two decks of Bicycle cards fail (fracture) and two decks of Gemaco (including one of the SuperFlex, which I really like) do the same. We play a lot of poker 2-3x weekly, but there are a bunch of setups that are rotated through the game. The cards are well used but not particularly abused. We have had Copag's last years. Bicycle was very good about replacing the bad card. Gemaco, so far hasn't responded.

WTF?

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of the table, please.

mike32

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gemaco was swallowed up by Paulson. Probably no help there. As far as the cracks that is weird. I usually get nicks and nail marks, never cracks.

CdnBeerLover

Full House
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the table as well. The Prestige and Gemaco cards tend to be on the stiff end of the stiff/flexible scale. Perhaps you have a player that just bends the corner to peek at the cards? If so, a more flexible card (Copag, KEM) may be more suitable.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the rails screwed/bolted down? Or is there room for cards to slide underneath?

Leonard

Flush
Reaction score
Are the rails screwed/bolted down? Or is there room for cards to slide underneath?

The one in the pic is screwed down, but it has also happened on tables where it is not and the cards can slide underneath.

DrStrange

Full House
Reaction score
I wonder if someone looks at their cards by holding them flat on the table with one hand and peeking under the corner with the other hand. I have not run into this problem ever (that I can recall) and I play more than my fair share of poker.

DrStrange

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common player pool? With no cup holder lips, hard racetracks, or other damaging table characteristics present, I'd lean towards either a) specific player or players who are hard on cards, or b) the temperature range in which the cards are either stored or used. Since you guys are in Texas, it's probably the former. CBL is likely on the right track.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the damage to cards almost always in the same general location (upper-left corner)?

Shaggy

Full House
Reaction score
When is the failure identified? While a player is shuffling? When the cards are in a players hand? Board cards?

CdnBeerLover

Full House
Reaction score
Is it always with Kings? Maybe they throw their pocket kings down hard in disgust when an Ace hits the river.

In all seriousness, I haven't seen this in any setups I have, but I think it's a peeker. Especially if it doesn't happen with more flexible cards. I would suggest Cartamundi ACE, Desjgn CV's, Copags, or KEM for these games, as they are more flexible than Fournier / Bicycle, Modiano, or Gemaco.

Or punish them with Royals...

abby99

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only had that happen once, and it was with a "new" deck of pre-USPC Kems. I say "new" because the setup sat unopened for several years before I opened them. When I owned them they were stored in reasonable temperatures. The break appeared during their very first game. It makes me wonder whether some of this material gets brittle with age.

Leonard

Flush
Reaction score
Any of these companies replace decks?

Bicycle yes. Gemaco, so far, no. I guess it may be from "peeking" at the decks, but I haven't noticed anybody doing anything that I would consider out of the ordinary. I am going to try Copag, Kem, etc. As best I can recall it has always been the corner with the index.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta be one person's particular peek technique (combined with stiff cards), else this would be happening all over the place.

Andrew Marks

Two Pair
Reaction score
I've never seen that and our group has been playing with plastic cards for about 7 years. Even peekers have never caused anything like that, although we have only used Copags and Modianos, not Bicycles or Gemacos. I think it is possible that some of the plastic cards might get brittle with age, regardless of whether they are used or not (or even opened or not). Surprised Gemaco hasn't responded because usually manufacturer's are pretty good about that. What about the direct vendor of the cards? Have you tried contacting them about a replacement card or deck?

Top Bottom