Problems with plastic cards (1 Viewer)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
What are we doing wrong?

Here is a pic of a relatively new deck of Gemaco cards:

And here is a deck of Bicycle Prestige:

In total, this year, we have had two decks of Bicycle cards fail (fracture) and two decks of Gemaco (including one of the SuperFlex, which I really like) do the same. We play a lot of poker 2-3x weekly, but there are a bunch of setups that are rotated through the game. The cards are well used but not particularly abused. We have had Copag's last years. Bicycle was very good about replacing the bad card. Gemaco, so far hasn't responded.

WTF?

I think Gemaco was swallowed up by Paulson. Probably no help there. As far as the cracks that is weird. I usually get nicks and nail marks, never cracks.

I'm wondering about the table as well. The Prestige and Gemaco cards tend to be on the stiff end of the stiff/flexible scale. Perhaps you have a player that just bends the corner to peek at the cards? If so, a more flexible card (Copag, KEM) may be more suitable.

Are the rails screwed/bolted down? Or is there room for cards to slide underneath?

Are the rails screwed/bolted down? Or is there room for cards to slide underneath?

The one in the pic is screwed down, but it has also happened on tables where it is not and the cards can slide underneath.

I wonder if someone looks at their cards by holding them flat on the table with one hand and peeking under the corner with the other hand. I have not run into this problem ever (that I can recall) and I play more than my fair share of poker.

DrStrange

Common player pool? With no cup holder lips, hard racetracks, or other damaging table characteristics present, I'd lean towards either a) specific player or players who are hard on cards, or b) the temperature range in which the cards are either stored or used. Since you guys are in Texas, it's probably the former. CBL is likely on the right track.

Is the damage to cards almost always in the same general location (upper-left corner)?

When is the failure identified? While a player is shuffling? When the cards are in a players hand? Board cards?

Is it always with Kings? Maybe they throw their pocket kings down hard in disgust when an Ace hits the river.

In all seriousness, I haven't seen this in any setups I have, but I think it's a peeker. Especially if it doesn't happen with more flexible cards. I would suggest Cartamundi ACE, Desjgn CV's, Copags, or KEM for these games, as they are more flexible than Fournier / Bicycle, Modiano, or Gemaco.

Or punish them with Royals...

I've only had that happen once, and it was with a "new" deck of pre-USPC Kems. I say "new" because the setup sat unopened for several years before I opened them. When I owned them they were stored in reasonable temperatures. The break appeared during their very first game. It makes me wonder whether some of this material gets brittle with age.

Any of these companies replace decks?

Bicycle yes. Gemaco, so far, no. I guess it may be from "peeking" at the decks, but I haven't noticed anybody doing anything that I would consider out of the ordinary. I am going to try Copag, Kem, etc. As best I can recall it has always been the corner with the index.

Gotta be one person's particular peek technique (combined with stiff cards), else this would be happening all over the place.

I've never seen that and our group has been playing with plastic cards for about 7 years. Even peekers have never caused anything like that, although we have only used Copags and Modianos, not Bicycles or Gemacos. I think it is possible that some of the plastic cards might get brittle with age, regardless of whether they are used or not (or even opened or not). Surprised Gemaco hasn't responded because usually manufacturer's are pretty good about that. What about the direct vendor of the cards? Have you tried contacting them about a replacement card or deck?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom