Tourney Prefered player count STT vs CASH (1 Viewer)

Mcjeff

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all,

I run a monthly poker tournament, in large part due to all of the advice I received on here, with about 6-10 regulars attending.

We played our first cash game last night with 7 people and it was quite different, but good.

All the player said they liked both formats. I was wondering if it is better to run a STT vs a cash game depending on the amount of player that can make it.

For example if only 6 players could make it would I be better running a tournament?

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I run a monthly poker tournament, in large part due to all of the advice I received on here, with about 6-10 regulars attending.

We played our first cash game last night with 7 people and it was quite different, but good.

All the player said they liked both formats. I was wondering if it is better to run a STT vs a cash game depending on the amount of player that can make it.

For example if only 6 players could make it would I be better running a tournament?

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Short handed is better for cash games. So if you’re going to have a low turnout definitely transition to cash imho. My players prefer cash even at 8-9 handed. I’ll only run a tournament if I can get 12 or more.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know as I was thinking of doing the opposite of what you suggested due to the higher number of players getting knocked out, with no option to rebuy after the first hour, with a higher player tournament.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know as I was thinking of doing the opposite of what you suggested due to the higher number of players getting knocked out, with no option to rebuy after the first hour, with a higher player tournament.
If you’re in a tourney 6 handed, it’s going to end quicker. You will be 3 handed faster in a STT than a cash game. Cash players can rebuy anytime throughout night etc.

If you’re in a tourney 6 handed, it’s going to end quicker. You will be 3 handed faster in a STT than a cash game. Cash players can rebuy anytime throughout night etc.
Yeah that makes sense.

STT 10 - once a month, focused, season points, etc

Cash 8 - Perfect for fellowship and fun, enjoy the time, play however

Last edited:
Even though tournaments are much more interesting, require a whole other additional set of skills and are more fair and thus are the superior poker experience, cash is the way to go for home games.
I would say multi table for tournaments, cash for fewer, but I’d personally never consider hosting more than a single table of anything.
So 8-10 tournament, 7 or fewer cash.

Cash home games offer the aspect of playing with your friends all night long and everyone staying til they "need" to leave or they lose all the money they brought. Everyone can play, hang out, and have fun from start to finish.

Tournaments are great when you have 12 or more players because you can start the tournament and then when the first 5-6 people bust out you they can start a cash game and as people bust from the tournament they can get in the cash game.

A tournament with 6-9 people with no rebuys just means if you bust out in the first 30 minutes you either stick around to socialize or you go home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom