Post your New Year’s resolution! (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is a little serious! No bourbon for me at away poker games in 2020. It’s no secret in our group I like to drink while playing poker. The rub is I get seduced by booze into thinking I’m the smartest guy in the room. I am really the dumbest. I have 4 or 5 beers during the course of a night, but then often 3 or 4 glasses of bourbon on top, who knows how tall I pour them. The problem is I drive home after. Thank God nothing bad has happened but if I’m honest with myself I over do it. I’m not saying I’m gonna be a saint or anything, just a better more responsible person. I’ll try this approach and see how I do.
On the plus side I can buy chips again next year!

I would always encourage you to drink responsibly when having to drive home, but why the hate on bourbon in particular?

My New Years resolution probably will be to play less poker, but I usually have a very hard time with that one.

Mine is a little serious! No bourbon for me at away poker games in 2020. It’s no secret in our group I like to drink while playing poker. The rub is I get seduced by booze into thinking I’m the smartest guy in the room. I am really the dumbest. I have 4 or 5 beers during the course of a night, but then often 3 or 4 glasses of bourbon on top, who knows how tall I pour them. The problem is I drive home after. Thank God nothing bad has happened but if I’m honest with myself I over do it. I’m not saying I’m gonna be a saint or anything, just a better more responsible person. I’ll try this approach and see how I do.
On the plus side I can buy chips again next year!
This is why I Uber/get a ride to away poker games. I get a few in me and then a few more. My buddy from highschool got locked up for a few years for killing someone while drunk driving. I couldn't live with myself if I did that.

I would always encourage you to drink responsibly when having to drive home, but why the hate on bourbon in particular?

My New Years resolution probably will be to play less poker, but I usually have a very hard time with that one.
Why the hate on bourbon? The problem is I like bourbon but I think the turbo boost a couple glasses adds to the buzz is what “seduces” me into thinking I know just what the fuck I’m doing, and I’m having another glass!

-Lose some weight
-Not to let deadlines pass and try to do a better job of taking care of lingering tasks before it causes any problems. Basically, being more on top of my shit.
-Spend more time with my son and wife
-Go on vacation at least twice more than the one already planned in one week. Only have been away once in the two years since my son was born

1. Quit cigarettes for good
2. Lose weight (I need to shed at least 40 pounds)
3. Spend less money, basically manage finances better

I will be resolute to :
A) lose 15-20lbs.
B) cut down my Burger King addiction to twice per month. (I'm presently hitting the place up at least weekly, and it's a slow death)
C) play less poker away from home, increase my hosting to fill the void.

Why C?

Well, I've made an investment into hosting poker. I do want to run more games. That means sacrifice elsewhere.

Your club is my second priority behind my own. That means, I'll make many of your games bud. There are a few other games I'm planning to cut out of my schedule and try to host my own in lieu of those games.

-Exercise more. Used to go to gym and run regularly, but helping put the kids to bed at night made me go exercise at night so I wont miss time with them, but would get too tired to go. Now I just tell myself to suck it up like I did before, but do more treadmill too.

-Drink only for poker and special occasions.

-Focus more on family and less on distractions like games and poker videos.

-Work hard to find a better place for work, to then eventually get a house, which in turn can host more poker with more people and not inside an apartment.

-Less spending and be much more frugal, especially with baby #3 on the way.

I’ve already started. Get back to exercising 4-5 days a week. I was doing good a month ago then I was sick for a week and took 2 more to have enough energy to start back up again. Tonight makes 3 workouts this week, so that is a start.

This is a good thread. I've been really good with the gym, but my gradual cut, turned into more of a bulk :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:.

So I'm the strongest I've ever been, but also hit a new heaviest ever weight. In solidarity with my pregnant wife, I'm going to continue eating like a horse until March.

My resolution is then to jump on the diet with the wife and I'd like to get down to 79kg by June.

Some sort of giveaway will occur if I fail.

I also resolve to getting around to milling my Mandalay bay $1s.

Lose 10 pounds of fat, gain 15 or so pounds of muscle

be more patient. This can help in many aspects of life. Work, home, poker.

spend more time with the family. I think I do a good job of this already but can still get better

get better at poker. I can win consistently at 1/2 and 1/3 so maybe take a swing at 2/5.

Work towards another promotion at work. Learn more, lead better, take on more.

read more books. Both fiction and non fiction

Do more cardio. Jogging, biking, swim, spin classes.

Just two...
- Get down to 200 lbs, so eat less and move more. Got from 245 lbs to 212 lbs since April simply by following WW, but have been stuck for a while. I haven't been 200 lbs since 1987 after a summer in the naval reserve, so I'm overdue to get healthier.
- Ride the motorcycle more. A lot more. Only got in 2000 km this year commuting to work, and I need to ride more often to keep what little sanity I have left intact.

My goodness, these Sam's Town chips are nuts! Incoming cash set #3...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom