Poll: Do you sit in front of the cup holders, or between them? (1 Viewer)

Do you sit in front of the cup holders, or between them?

• Total voters

LotsOfChips

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a custom Chanman table (well really a resurfaced rental with a custom cloth), and I'm super stoked! We're in the late stages of finalizing the design, and a question exists in my mind as to where to position the seating position identifiers. The table already has cup holders, located in his standard position of two on each straight section and two on each curved section,. The position identifiers are kind of important to the theme I am using (details coming after next design edit), so eliminating them is not really an option.

1568221007056.png

Tony told me that he always places his position identifiers directly behind the cup holders, as people sit with the cup holders directly in front of them. He explains that this is because it is less likely for drinks to be bumped by elbows and such.

However in the course of playing a few games at his tables, I have found that:
  • Most people if given a choice tend to sit between the cup holders, with one person on each end and three on each side, rather than two on each side and two on each corner
  • It is more difficult to see my cards and to reach my chips when my water bottle (or beer bottle, depending on the evening) is in front of me
  • I find it easier to reach my bottle of choice if it is on my right hand side
  • I tend to bang my knees on the table legs when sitting on the corners, not so much on the ends
So, question of the moment, where do the majority of Scrub Donkeys and regular Poker Degenerates prefer to sit?

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
You'll get used to sitting centered on them. Have Tony put the double cup mode on your cup holders and your bottles will sit down low.

I know this doesn’t help your decision, but I moved my cupholders off the table and on to drink carts. I don’t think there is a great place for them at the table. But if forced to choose...in front of me, I guess.

I voted in front of me, as if I had to sit at a table with built in cup holders, it would want to be centered.

BUT.....I prefer (and it isn't close) to have my slide under cup holder on my left hand side.

So for me - with your table, centered - but only because you are using built in holders.

Directly behind the cupholder is preferable IMO. No disputes over whose cupholder it is, or problems for lefties or anything. Granted, depending on the layout of the cupholders, it may not always be ideal for dealing (as you can see in your picture, no player is seated directly in the center). But I actually don't think that's a bad thing, especially if you rotate the dealing in your game. Seats 1, 4, 5 and 8 in your picture are all equally well-situated for dealing to the table. Dealing from the ends is always more of a challenge, but that's unavoidable.

I preffer tables without cup holders on the rail, I pteffer to have my drinks on a cart or small table. If I had the choice I sit between cup holders because I don't like cup holders in front of me. If I can I seat offset to avoid to have the cup holder in front of my cards.
And if there is no choice, I seat in front of the cup holder.

My old table had cup holders in the rail. I tended to be in between cup holders, but I'm also not obsessed with having a drink with me at all times at the table. I tended to keep them behind me on a table or on the floor or even in my lap. I think that was my own paranoia about spilling and the fact that I had to clean it.

My new table has no cup holders and I've purchased the slide under variety to try out, haven't got to try them yet so we shall see.

'No cup holders' camp here.
Where do you put your sparkling water / coffee/ beer though

For me centered is the least likely to get hit by an elbow and least likely for me to forget which drink is mine and which is my neighbors

Slide under so I can position my drink about 4 inches left of center. Then centered. Last is between because of flying elbows and forearms, but that's not as much of a problem with a dedicated dealer.

Hmmm, at the moment its about 4:1 for sitting with the cup holder in front rather than between them. Looks like I'll probably take Tony's advice and put the position identifiers in line with the cup holders.

I appreciate the many passionate responses about getting rid of the cup holders altogether, but that would be an expensive option as a new rail would more than double the cost of the used table.

Many thanks for the discussion and the opinions. I'll post pictures of the table artwork in a week or so once the next (and hopefully final) round of design edits are done.

Cheers,

I absolutely detest holders directly in front of me.

To figure out where people REALLY want their drink to be located while playing, give them slide-unders that they can place whereever they want it to be -- I have NEVER seen somebody choose directly in front of them when given an option.

Thumbs-down on fixed drink locations, and more so if directly in front of the player.

No cup holders. Use slide ins. People can put them where they want.
100%
I absolutely detest holders directly in front of me.

To figure out where people REALLY want their drink to be located while playing, give them slide-unders that they can place whereever they want it to be -- I have NEVER seen somebody choose directly in front of them when given an option.

Thumbs-down on fixed drink locations, and more so if directly in front of the player.

Also agree though slide in cupholders in front vs in front in rail is not quite apples to apples. Still though, slide in cup holders are the only way to go.

IF I'm sitting at a table with built in cup holders in the rail, I prefer them to be centered.

I know this doesn’t help your decision, but I moved my cupholders off the table and on to drink carts. I don’t think there is a great place for them at the table. But if forced to choose...in front of me, I guess.
If you have the room, drink carts are awesome

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is where to position bums in seats. I obviously didn't word my question as well as I might have.
  • The cup holders already exist, for better or worse. They are not likely to be going away (unless I cough up $$$ to replace the existing rail on a used table that is costing less than a new rail would).
  • I am using position indicators as part of the design.
  • I am trying to figure out if the indicators would be best placed in line with the cup holders (works best if people are sitting 2 players on each straight section and 2 players on each curved section), or if they would be better in between the cup holders (works best if 1 player is sitting at each end and 3 players are on each side).
Drink carts and/or slide-ins sound like a great place to put drinks, no argument, and if I was building from scratch, would probably go that route after this discussion (thanks for the education!). But that doesn't really answer whether to have players one at each end or two on each curved section.

So far most people have voted for chairs in line with cup holders, which is two players on each curved section, rather than one on each end. That's a little different than I had expected, but then that is why I asked the question.

Many thanks to all who have provided input and opinions so far!

Last edited:
I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is where to position bums in seats. I obviously didn't word my question as well as I might have.
  • The cup holders already exist, for better or worse. They are not likely to be going away (unless I cough up $$$ to replace the existing rail on a used table that is costing less than a new rail would).
  • I am using position indicators as part of the design.
  • I am trying to figure out if the indicators would be best placed in line with the cup holders (works best if people are sitting 2 players on each straight section and 2 players on each curved section), or if they would be better in between the cup holders (works best if 1 player is sitting at each end and 3 players are on each side).
Drink carts and/or slide-ins sound like a great place to put drinks, no argument, and if I was building from scratch, would probably go that route after this discussion (thanks for the education!). But that doesn't really answer whether to have players one at each end or two on each curved section.

So far most people have voted for chairs in line with cup holders, which is two players on each curved section, rather than one on each end. That's a little different than I had expected, but then that is why I asked the question.

Many thanks to all who have provided input and opinions so far!
If you are going with fixed cup holders - it's a no brain'er to put seat indicators directly in front.

Where do you put your sparkling water / coffee/ beer though

For me centered is the least likely to get hit by an elbow and least likely for me to forget which drink is mine and which is my neighbors
0. IV
1. tables
2. slide in holders

I’ve never really thought about it. I wish I didn’t put fixed cup holders in my table. But we always seem to sit between the holders.

In Between for me. However, caveat: I do prefer, cup holders in the playing surface rather than on the rail. Yes, I'm the only person on the face of the earth that prefers them like that, LOL!!
you would love my table

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom