Poker room lighting, what bulbs? (1 Viewer)

I don't have any in dimmers, so I can't speak for any pro or con. I do have other LED on dimmer switches, but they are halogen track light replacements.

LED's without dimmers. Too harsh on my eyes.

I use neon bar/beer signs and a couple of these babies over the table. That is all I need/want in my unfinished basement honestly. You can find them online cheaper but here's the Home Depot link.

LED Light Fixture

0255b9a5-af3a-466a-bced-508d207aad2b_400.jpg

As I mentioned before, we went to Costco, snagged the Feit bulbs. (Pic Below).

However, prior to that, we tried a number of different LED bulbs (sold at the major big box stores), and also (after doing research) replaced all our dimmer switches with LED compliant switches. We found no combination with bulbs or switches that worked. We experienced loud buzzing from the fixtures, and the dimmers were sketchy functionality (they'd flicker, or be dim, them turn bright on their own, etc...).

We tried the Costco bulbs and found them quiet with the newer LED dimmers AND the old dimmers as well. In fact, they worked better with our old dimmers, so I reinstalled those, and returned the expensive LED specific dimmers.

The Costco bulbs were $14.00 for a 2-pack, and I think they were on sale for 2 for 1, so $3.50/bulb. :)

I'm not an electrician, but buzzing, etc is the problem using LEDs with "old" dimmers. Dimmers for CFL bulbs work by reducing the amount of electricity that flows to the bulb.
Reducing the electricity flowing to the LED plays havoc with their "electronics" and hence buzzing, flickering, etc

Kinda of surprised you found LEDs that work with old dimmers, but hey, whatever works

I'm not an electrician, but buzzing, etc is the problem using LEDs with "old" dimmers. Dimmers for CFL bulbs work by reducing the amount of electricity that flows to the bulb.
Reducing the electricity flowing to the LED plays havoc with their "electronics" and hence buzzing, flickering, etc

Kinda of surprised you found LEDs that work with old dimmers, but hey, whatever works

To be fair, they're not super old. Didn't think they we led compatible, but they're new enough to be...

My LED floods work fine with a dimmer switch that's more than 10 years old. I think that's before LED bulbs became widely available for home use.

My LED floods work fine with a dimmer switch that's more than 10 years old. I think that's before LED bulbs became widely available for home use.

I've got several rotary dimmer from many decades ago (long before LED lamps were available) dimming dozens of LED lamps in my house. The only real issue is they tend not to dim as low (maybe only down to 20% instead of 5%).

I must have either gotten a bad dimmer switch or a bad set of LED lights because I even took the plate off and made sure the toggle switch on my dimmer was set to LED. The buzzing is just as bad as the old rotary dimmer switch was. I might just try exchanging it for a replacement one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom