Poker room lighting, what bulbs? (1 Viewer)

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
I recently changed my room's recessed light bulbs. I think I had 50W halogens, 900 lumens, 2740 Kelvin, but the lighting was too dim to see the cards on the far end of the table, so I changed them up and got some flood CFLs.

While the new bulb lighting is great (very bright), its a cold white type light, and reminds me of a hospital/sterile environment. The specs say they are 14W (65W equivalent) CFL floods, temp is 2700 kelvin (basically the same), 750 lumens (so less bright than the Halogens???).

First of all, I cant understand why these lights are brighter, when the specs tell me different? Also, I doubt 40 Kelvin is enough to change the light's temp by that much.

But second, I'd like to find some lighting with the more warm/red type tones to it, but still be CFL or LED, and still be as bright! What bulbs do you guys use? TY.

What bulb size? I have recessed lighting throughout my house and recently converted all 36 or so fixtures - bulb size BR40. I used Feit Electric bulbs, they are a soft white and I couldn't be happier. It's been 8 months and all are still operational.

https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electri...id=1473713166&sr=8-6&keywords=br+40+led+bulbs

I want to say BR30, so I think one size smaller than yours? Yours are 1065 lumens which is really nice and bright. The description says "soft white", so I assume they are the same temp as the ones that I have.

Maybe I should try a dimmer to soften the hospital feel. I think I will try that.

While the new bulb lighting is great (very bright), its a cold white type light, and reminds me of a hospital/sterile environment. The specs say they are 14W (65W equivalent) CFL floods, temp is 2700 kelvin (basically the same), 750 lumens (so less bright than the Halogens???).

2700 is right in the sweet spot of most Tungsten bulbs, so the fact that the old bulbs are warm while the new ones are "cold white" says their literature is off. You should not be able to notice a difference of 40K. However, CFLs are known (to photographers at least) for putting off an ugly "green cast" that always needs some white balance tweaking during post processing. You may be noticing this green tint, and that could be what is bothering you.

Cold white is often attributed to the more "daylight" balanced bulbs in the 5500K range, and are what people use when they want to mimic daylight indoors. But if you stick with 3200K or below, your light should be relatively "warm"...

colortemp.jpg

More here... http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_demystified.html

Last edited:
What bulb size? I have recessed lighting throughout my house and recently converted all 36 or so fixtures - bulb size BR40. I used Feit Electric bulbs, they are a soft white and I couldn't be happier. It's been 8 months and all are still operational.

https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electri...id=1473713166&sr=8-6&keywords=br+40+led+bulbs

+1 to this. Get rid of those CFLs and switch back to incandescent floods. CFLs will always have that "pukey green" hue! Even the "soft white" LEDs listed by CraigT78 should do better than your CFLs. Looks like LEDs have gotten good at mimicking the "warmth" of incandescent bulbs...

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/five-things-to-consider-before-buying-led-bulbs/ (check out the "Choosing the right color LED" section)

As LEDs catch up tech wise I'm slowly switching to all LEDs in the house. Living room / card room is still a mix though - 2 LED, 2 CFL, and 1 halogen overhead. I guess you could say I use DetroitDad lighting.

Last edited:
It's hard to describe, but even though the CFL and the LED are both the same shade of "white," there's something about the CFL that just looks like artificial lighting, while the LED just looks more like "light."

http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...p-light-spectrum-and-more#Zquy13JqxDYvvl2L.99

Just so in understanding this article correctly. Do we want to shoot for the largest spectrum of light to display colors correctly?

I Recently switched to LEDs in my game room. I liked the look and feel of the incandescents better, but they heated up the place fierce. Since going LED, my game never gets hot.

I went through a number of bulbs and dimmers until I found the build that works best. Costco Carries it, I think fiet? I'll double check. But even the high end dimmable bulbs from the big box stores all buzzed and flickered with various high end LED dimmers I tried. The Costco bulbs worked flawlessly with all the dimmers, and don't buzz at all, and never flicker while dimming...

They were the cheapest too, of course. And found them 2-4-1.

I grew tired the effect that CFL floods had on my chip photos, not to mention the heat they throw off. I picked up some BR30 dimmable LED floods, 9W (equiv 65W), 4000K floods by Hyperikon from Amazon. They work great, and although they seemed so "white" at first, I no longer notice that they're different. I love having them over my poker table, where I want very good lighting, and they're great for photos. I've been swapping out other CFL and incandescent bulbs for LEDs in the 2700K - 3000K range and am very happy with them as well.

This may sound terrible, but I kept the old incandescent and CFL bulbs, which will be going back into the light fixtures when I move in March. I'm taking my LEDs with me.

The only reason I miss incandescent bulbs:

On poker nights people flood in/out of the house. Lots of bugs and moths find their way in. Dozens, if not hundreds. I could leave one torchere lamp on when I went to bed and there wouldn't be a single live insect flitting about in the morning, just the smell of their little burnt carcasses.

LEDs just don't carry the stopping power of incandescents

I grew tired the effect that CFL floods had on my chip photos, not to mention the heat they throw off. I picked up some BR30 dimmable LED floods, 9W (equiv 65W), 4000K floods by Hyperikon from Amazon. They work great, and although they seemed so "white" at first, I no longer notice that they're different. I love having them over my poker table, where I want very good lighting, and they're great for photos. I've been swapping out other CFL and incandescent bulbs for LEDs in the 2700K - 3000K range and am very happy with them as well.

This may sound terrible, but I kept the old incandescent and CFL bulbs, which will be going back into the light fixtures when I move in March. I'm taking my LEDs with me.

I recently moved and did the same thing before listing the house. The LED's are expensive to buy 40+ bulbs at one time!

I found one LED bulb in my basement and tested it. It works great! I got to get some of these. Pity these bulbs are like $5 each.

I have an LED flood in my bathroom and it required a special dimmer because of the LED electronics... do you know if these require it as well?

I have an LED flood in my bathroom and it required a special dimmer because of the LED electronics... do you know if these require it as well?
These state right on the package that they are dimmable. I'm not aware of any special dimmers. If you get them through Amazon look for the two pack, it's only a couple $$ more than a single. Their return policy is great if they don't work for you. Just say item wasn't as described if they don't dim for you.

As I mentioned before, we went to Costco, snagged the Feit bulbs. (Pic Below).

However, prior to that, we tried a number of different LED bulbs (sold at the major big box stores), and also (after doing research) replaced all our dimmer switches with LED compliant switches. We found no combination with bulbs or switches that worked. We experienced loud buzzing from the fixtures, and the dimmers were sketchy functionality (they'd flicker, or be dim, them turn bright on their own, etc...).

We tried the Costco bulbs and found them quiet with the newer LED dimmers AND the old dimmers as well. In fact, they worked better with our old dimmers, so I reinstalled those, and returned the expensive LED specific dimmers.

The Costco bulbs were $14.00 for a 2-pack, and I think they were on sale for 2 for 1, so $3.50/bulb. :)

image.jpeg

heat should be a concern. Keep this in mind. Some bulbs like the ones from the GUI family kick off as much heat as three or four people. If you have a basement game it will eventually make the room hotter and possibly unbearable. Especially if your thermostat is on the main floor. Use LED lights. Win Win Win.

heat should be a concern. Keep this in mind. Some bulbs like the ones from the GUI family kick off as much heat as three or four people. If you have a basement game it will eventually make the room hotter and possibly unbearable. Especially if your thermostat is on the main floor. Use LED lights. Win Win Win.

This is what prompted my conversion. My basement (no exposure) was getting really warm when I was unable to have the air cond. running. I posted here and several advised the LED switch. I ran the MTTD in May (no air), and I don't think anyone complained about the temps. I was comfortable the entire event.

I bought the Fiet BR30 LED floodlight bulbs for my can lights and they buzzed like crazy with my dimmer so I bought a 25 dollar LED safe dimmer but they still buzz even at full power :/. Wonder if I got a bad bunch or if my dimmer switch is defective.

As I mentioned before, we went to Costco, snagged the Feit bulbs. (Pic Below).

However, prior to that, we tried a number of different LED bulbs (sold at the major big box stores), and also (after doing research) replaced all our dimmer switches with LED compliant switches. We found no combination with bulbs or switches that worked. We experienced loud buzzing from the fixtures, and the dimmers were sketchy functionality (they'd flicker, or be dim, them turn bright on their own, etc...).

We tried the Costco bulbs and found them quiet with the newer LED dimmers AND the old dimmers as well. In fact, they worked better with our old dimmers, so I reinstalled those, and returned the expensive LED specific dimmers.

The Costco bulbs were $14.00 for a 2-pack, and I think they were on sale for 2 for 1, so $3.50/bulb. :)

View attachment 55917

These are 93 CRI. Thats really high. I'm going to look for these on my next Costco trip.

I bought the Fiet BR30 LED floodlight bulbs for my can lights and they buzzed like crazy with my dimmer so I bought a 25 dollar LED safe dimmer but they still buzz even at full power :/. Wonder if I got a bad bunch or if my dimmer switch is defective.
I don't have any in dimmers, so I can't speak for any pro or con. I do have other LED on dimmer switches, but they are halogen track light replacements.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom