Poison Ivy Control (1 Viewer)

dpeks13

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
South Jersey, but Central Jersey at heart
I have an area of wetlands on my property that we spent a few thousand dollars to have 20+ years of poison ivy growth removed. Thick vines up trees and all that crap. It seemed to work for about a year or so, but yesterday I noticed a few (hundred) new sprouts coming out of my lawn. Shit is everywhere.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use (other than a flamethrower)? I'm seriously considering going scorched earth.

Salt, but it will kill everything. Guaranteed scorched earth.

Burning poison ivy / oak is hazardous. Think of it as a form of smoking - the oils that irritate the skin are carried by the smoke to your eye, lungs and airways.

The roots are the "root of your problem". Even a complete clearing / resodding is not assured to get rid of the infestation for long. I suggest using herbicides - perhaps using a professional rather than DIY assuming you have other landscaping you would prefer surviving.

Burning poison ivy / oak is hazardous. Think of it as a form of smoking - the oils that irritate the skin are carried by the smoke to your eye, lungs and airways.

The roots are the "root of your problem". Even a complete clearing / resodding is not assured to get rid of the infestation for long. I suggest using herbicides - perhaps using a professional rather than DIY assuming you have other landscaping you would prefer surviving.
The professionals charged me a couple grand and didn't fix the problem though...

Cancer-causing poison?
I mean, herbicide is very effective for killing plants.

I recommend appropriate safety precautions in application, and it goes without saying don't drink the damn stuff. However, any long term dangers are probably much more applicable to individuals involved in industrial scale farming where the frequency and volume of exposure is vastly different.

Like 1 cig a month versus 3 packs a day. Same idea.

I mean, herbicide is very effective for killing plants.

I recommend appropriate safety precautions in application, and it goes without saying don't drink the damn stuff. However, any long term dangers are probably much more applicable to individuals involved in industrial scale farming where the frequency and volume of exposure is vastly different.

Like 1 cig a month versus 3 packs a day. Same idea.

It goes into groundwater, too. The stuff that we drink. It is a persistent toxin, and if everyone in the neighborhood uses a little (or a lot) it adds up. When you buy many food products, you’re also accumulating more of their crap thanks to lobbying power. So the “just one cigarette” analogy doesn’t really work here.

This is a national problem and the lawsuits keep mounting. Monsanto/Bayer paid out $11 billion in a 2020 suit, and continues to privately or forcibly settle countless others.

Same company BTW that invented PCBs, costing more zillions in settlements and cleanups and countless illnesses and deaths worldwide. Corporate records show they knew from the moment they first made them that they were bad news. Sold them for a half-century anyway.

Fool us once…

Last edited:
I have had success with a salt, soap, water mix. You can also add vinegar. Search online for mixes.
Target spray as much as possible.
Soap helps keep the mixture on the plant. Spray when rain is not expected.
It will take longer than glysophate (roundup) and you will need to do multiple treatments.
Glysophate works, but is poison for humans / animals and a dangerous carcinogen.
I know you said wetlands, but any area where it grows that you can mow, do it. It doesn’t thrive when being mowed on a regular basis.

Unfortunately it is tough stuff and will most likely be a battle every year.

I have had success with a salt, soap, water mix. You can also add vinegar. Search online for mixes.
Target spray as much as possible.
Soap helps keep the mixture on the plant. Spray when rain is not expected.
It will take longer than glysophate (roundup) and you will need to do multiple treatments.
Glysophate works, but is poison for humans / animals and a dangerous carcinogen.
I know you said wetlands, but any area where it grows that you can mow, do it. It doesn’t thrive when being mowed on a regular basis.

Unfortunately it is tough stuff and will most likely be a battle every year.
I've used this treatment as well with all types of weeds around my house. I like my water to be either boiling or close to it. Results have been mixed depending on the weed, but overall it works. You will likely need a few treatments, not just a one time deal.

You need to remember that you want to target the roots, not just the leaves. The entire plant is poisonous so be careful (obviously). Wash any and all tools that come in contact with soapy water.

I've used this treatment as well with all types of weeds around my house. I like my water to be either boiling or close to it. Results have been mixed depending on the weed, but overall it works. You will likely need a few treatments, not just a one time deal.

You need to remember that you want to target the roots, not just the leaves. The entire plant is poisonous so be careful (obviously). Wash any and all tools that come in contact with soapy water.

Yes, re.: sprays: Most hot/acidic mixtures can kill leaves for one cycle, and occasionally stress a weak weed enough to kill it entirely. But typically something tough like poison ivy wil come back.

Tobacco infused water killed bunch of weed (yes weed as junk plants). If you’re a smoker, there you go but if aren’t then don’t because obvious carcinogen.

but yesterday I noticed a few (hundred) new sprouts coming out of my lawn. Shit is everywhere.
Round up!
Another vote for Round-up here, but there's specific instructions to follow. And it is a cancer causing substance, so wear gloves, eye protection, and facemask (or even a respirator for extensive use).

Round-up works by penetrating into the plant and roots and killing the plant all the way including the roots, so ideally it shouldn't regrow. Basically, you want to only spray Round-up directly (and up close, targeted spray) on the plant leaves (& stems?) of the weed itself, and not spray it discriminately around, because if its sprayed on other plants/grass, they will die too. You could also hold up something as a backsplash, like a small towel, to help ensure excess spray soaks into the towel and doesn't float down to the ground or other plants.

So it seems the best time to use Round-up is when the plant is small with new sprouts -- ideally it should take a lot less spray to kill a small plant than a large plant, so getting to plant while they are still smaller sprouts can help. But with poison ivy, the root system may be very large, so I don't know how that will work.

If I was using it to kill hundreds of weeds in my yard or had concern of drinking water or soil contamination, I would try to pull out the old/dead roots of the dead plants afterward to try and dispose of them separately.

Just be careful doing this. Don’t do it over dead dry leaves and plant that are going to turn to dust. You will aerosolize the oils, breath it in, get it all in your hair and inside your clothes. Then you will be sicker than hell and covered in smallpox looking bumps - inside and out - for about two weeks. I was in my 30’s then, and it was a good thing I was invulnerable. I don’t think I would survive it now at this age.

And if it’s green and growing, just throw your lawn mower away after you are done. You will contaminate everything in your garage.

It will work, but there are pros and cons. And you can never mow close enough to the sprouts in your neighbors property.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom