PLO question (1 Viewer)

Omaha hi/low should be played as a limit game for new players. The learning curve is very steep.

PLO8 will burn through new players bank roll so fast that they will never want to play the game again.

The whole shear a sheep 100 times but can only slaughter it once.

Any Omaha game burns through bankrolls fast but the Hi-only ones in particular. Every poker strategy site that had advice on bankrolls that I've seen always advised much more buyins for PLO than NLHE and that's for good reason. In Omaha, all the starting hands are much closer together in win chance than in Holdem so the variance is just a lot higher.

Hi-Lo split burns a bit slower because you have still a chance at at least half the pot if you don't have the high hand, but if you're a newbie/still too inexperienced that of course doesn't really work.

I have put Omaha on the backburner until I have a much bigger bankroll to draw on, and then probably just occasionally for fun on lower stakes. Holdem is still the best for building a bankroll. At least online... if you can find huge Omaha donks in live games it could of course end in a much more profitable game.

Omaha hi/low should be played as a limit game for new players. The learning curve is very steep.

PLO8 will burn through new players bank roll so fast that they will never want to play the game again.

The whole shear a sheep 100 times but can only slaughter it once.

Indeed!

When I taught Omaha to my sister, we conducted an Omaha Boot Camp. I dealt board after board, pausing after each flop, turn, and river. At each pause she identified the nuts and the second nuts, as fast as possible. She learned to read a board relatively quickly, and to see how the nuts can change with the turn of a card. I benefited from this exercise as well.

Indeed!

When I taught Omaha to my sister, we conducted an Omaha Boot Camp. I dealt board after board, pausing after each flop, turn, and river. At each pause she identified the nuts and the second nuts, as fast as possible. She learned to read a board relatively quickly, and to see how the nuts can change with the turn of a card. I benefited from this exercise as well.

I still do this!! I can't play as much as I used to (or want to) so I deal out hands and go through each one and think about how I would play it then deal the flop and think about each hand left and how they would play, repeat for turn and river. It is great for keeping my game sharp even if I don't get to play.

Indeed!

I thought I was the only one doing that when bored :D
Certainly good dry training and staying sharp, not only for Omaha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom