Pets (8 Viewers)

Twinkie says Merry Christmas!

IMG_2135.jpg

I got a pit bull pup as a gift (a friend had a male and a female, got neither fixed, and didn't want pups. FREE DOG!). Contrary to public beliefs, a pit bull is just like any other dog. They are a direct reflection of their owner. If the owner is mean, so is the dog. If the owner is loving and mellow, so is the dog. Don't buy the stereotype. Pit bulls are awesome, loving creatures.

The one thing to remember with put bulls is that they are actually EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT. That also makes them kind of stubborn. They want to make you happy, and they know darn well how to do it (whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant, because THEY KNOW). If you can get past that, they are wonderful.

Also, be prepared. Inflation can't raise the monthly grocery bill as much as a pit bull. THEY EAT. A LOT.
The problem with pit bulls isn’t that they are bad dogs. The problem with pit bulls is that when they are bad (aggressive) dogs, they are MUCH more likely to cause severe injuries and death.

The problem with pit bulls isn’t that they are bad dogs. The problem with pit bulls is that when they are bad (aggressive) dogs, they are MUCH more likely to cause severe injuries and death.
That I believe. But then you could say the same about certain other dog breeds.

That I believe. But then you could say the same about certain other dog breeds.
Yes. But I’ve never heard of a Labrador causing severe injury or death. It probably has happened. But I have never heard of it.

And to be fair, my sister has owned two of the most friendly dogs I’ve ever known, and they were both pits. But a close friend works for animal control. And he can tell about HUNDREDS of pit incidents. The vast majority of dog bites are pits and chihuahuas.

Last edited:
And to be fair, my sister has owned two of the most friendly dogs I’ve ever known, and they were both pits. But a close friend works for animal control. And he can tell about HUNDREDS of pit incidents. The vast majority of dog bites are pits and chihuahuas.
I think part of the issue is cause and effect. Most of the abused and sheltered dogs (at least around here) are pits. Those of course are the ones most likely to be aggressive. People have caused much of the problem by treating these animals inhumanely. And then others (myself included) are concerned about safety.

I got a pit bull pup as a gift (a friend had a male and a female, got neither fixed, and didn't want pups. FREE DOG!). Contrary to public beliefs, a pit bull is just like any other dog. They are a direct reflection of their owner. If the owner is mean, so is the dog. If the owner is loving and mellow, so is the dog. Don't buy the stereotype. Pit bulls are awesome, loving creatures.

The one thing to remember with put bulls is that they are actually EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT. That also makes them kind of stubborn. They want to make you happy, and they know darn well how to do it (whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant, because THEY KNOW). If you can get past that, they are wonderful.

Also, be prepared. Inflation can't raise the monthly grocery bill as much as a pit bull. THEY EAT. A LOT.
That is true to be fair. I knew a guy that had the most awesome and chill Pitbull. It used to roam around his motorbike shop letting everyone pet it. Great and friendly animal.

Then one day it randomly bit his finger off.

Still like that dog though haha.

People have caused much of the problem by treating these animals inhumanely.
This is the problem. 100%. I have had mine since she was 4 weeks old. She has known nothing but love. And food. Lots of food. She is a giant wuss. She hides behind me to bark at the mailman. She runs from the sound of farts, including her own. She is scared of the cat. There isn't a violent bone in her body. If pit bulls are problems, it is people who caused that problem. Don't outlaw the dog, outlaw the disgusting people that turned a loving dog into a problem.

Another thing with her (and maybe all pitties I don't know). She growls when she plays. A lot. My old lady says "not only is going to win the game of tug, but she will also back sass you while she does it". It means nothing. She is just talking. I suppose that could be trained away, but why? It's hilarious. I also know how much fun she is having playing by the amount of back sass. It is a part of her personality, and I would change absolutely nothing about her. She really is the best dog anyone could ask for.

^^^ +1

my friend and I have owned two pit bulls. Both the sweetest dogs. Nothing like their smile from ear to ear when they are happy.

Will never again trust a pit. I don’t care how sweet you think they are. My neighbor’s pit ripped my dogs chest open and had her by the throat. If my neighbor hadn’t gotten there when he did to pull his dog off mine, my pup would be dead. This has happened on two separate occasions!! Exact same events. My neighbor thinks his dog is the sweetest thing. Fuck that.

My neighbor has a pit bull. He is a ball of muscle. He likes bark and run back and forth in his backyard when my dogs are out there too. He also likes to break through the fence into my backyard. This usually results in Dewey, my 85lb neighborhood blend, power humping him for an hour. All the sudden he doesn't bark so much.

I thought about posting about the pit issue when the talk got started, but I refrained. However, last week in a neighboring city to mine, two pits attacked 18 children and three teachers during a school recess. Six of the injuries were severe.

I work in a job that sometimes deals with violent animal incidents. You can normally bet the house that a pit will be involved. When was the last time you heard of a fatality attack that involved a basset hound or golden retriever? When we respond to incidents such as this, the pet owners often have multiple, various breeds. It is the pit that has caused the damage most of the time.

Pits can be great, but they were also bred to be fighters. It’s in their DNA. No different than a lab has it in its blood to retrieve. Some of the nicest, sweetest dogs I agave been around have been pits, but I’m not risking my house on having one in it.

But yes. We have biases on both sides: confirmation bias (everytime we hear about a dog attack, they dont need to list the breed, so all pits are bad) and survivor bias (I knew a well trained good pit, so that must be why it was good). The No True Scotsman fallacy is the most dangerous though: Ah, that pitbull attacked a child unprovoked? It must not have been trained... it was trained? Well not well enough! No well trained pitbull would do that! And I would've seen this coming, this is on the owner!

Friend's neigher was the cuddwiest wittwe velvet hippo, loved everyone, no signs of aggression or destruction. Then one day it broke through a glass door to kill my friend's cat. The prey drive is insanely high.

Last edited:
Most people in the know and various industries question the repeated story of, “He was the perfect dog until he killed 3 dogs, it came out of nowhere!”

Breed and genetics do matter. If you don’t know the parents and don’t train your pet, you really don’t need to be selecting certain breeds, pits being at the top of that list.

When our kiddos got pretty sick over Christmas, he wouldn’t leave their side. That doesn’t mean he won’t tear their throats next week. His demeanor, history, training, etc. lean towards that not being the case. The trainer working with him trains the local PD K9 force and has spoken to his submissive demeanor.

I think it’s worked out for us, however we look for and would not accept food aggression, possession issues, and everything else.

E6C5B2E2-646F-4A18-BBB8-E54C08B0D6E4.jpeg
0CA17B3E-E8F7-4C21-9E14-5AAC7F54E1FC.jpeg

@Hornet I would be wary of adopting an adult pit. Simply for the fact that you don’t know the parents or history of the dog.

Historical issues may not be documented or outwardly shown. Given the lack (I think) of children or other pets in your household, I wouldn’t be worried at all with a pit or pit mix if you do know the lineage and/or get them from a young age.

Again, it is very rare for any dog to suddenly “snap”. There have almost always been ignored previous signs and issues, no different than kids the owners are just so shocked when little Timmy or Fido did that.

YMMV, this is coming from someone who worked shelter in an area rife with abused dogs and an owner of different pit mixes.

3063697E-75F4-4D69-A486-FB3669B45771.jpeg

Growing so fast!

It’s been over 20 years since I’ve had a puppy, we have 2 other rescues that were a year old +. I friggin love this little girl, so curious what she is. Supposed to be dachshund and King Charles spaniel - not quite. Legs are long, but she’s still tiny at 3 months. We are guessing Brittany, dachshund (size only) and pitbull. She has brindle stripes that are getting darker and darker. She weighs about 8 pounds. Another 2 weeks for DNA analysis to come in.

3030F11E-325A-4C90-ADDB-A7670D8181F1.jpeg

The 3 rescues, I’ve renamed Farts, Piddles and Booger

Last edited:
A month ago we rescued a puppy from Mississippi. We currently had 2 senior rescues we have had for 11+ years, an Australian cattle dog mix and a beagle we inherited from my deceased father in law. Knowing the inevitable is coming in the next few years, my wife wanted to get a puppy to rejuvenate our old girls and let the puppy learn from them.
My wife wanted a smaller companion dog to hang out in the garden and chill out with her. We found this puppy which stated it was dachshund King Charles spaniel mix.
866E15DF-1132-461A-B836-5B988F6C4A78.jpeg

We got Deandra a month ago, she’s a great little dog, we’ve fallen in love with her. Always curious what other breeds she may be and to try and figure out how large she will get we sent in her DNA for testing. Took nearly 3 weeks, the first thing we got back was her health report, very good results - no inbreeding at all in her history, some noted possible late life eye issues which were typical to 3 breeds including King Charles - so the rescue had somehow guessed King Charles right. She’s getting bigger, but still small, definitely not the body of a dachshund but did have brindle like some dachshunds.

She’s finally house broken about 90% there and she’s gotten along very well with our old girls - we keep joking she looks like a miniature pitbull. We are pit bull haters, sorry if you have one, but you can’t argue the damage those dogs can do. We’ve told our children not to get one as all of them at one point have talked about getting one. I often joked that I carry pitbull spray on my belt in 9mm in case I need it. My youngest who works with dogs owns a bully dog, which we’ve warmed her about and always joked with her about.

Well my wife got the DNA results

557F6F9E-73EC-401A-A437-7877B5AC2B09.png

Well I guess I’m raising a god damn pitbull mix.
I-fucking-ronic.

According to the results she should be about 30 lbs, not a big dog thankfully.

Now to put our tails between our legs and apologize to our kids….she's not going anywhere

Last edited:
here are the scans.
tumor is too closse of the left scapula, chir said operation would mutilate the cat... so there's nothing to do. chimio or radio would not have enough effect
for the moment she don't feel pain but vet said tumor will grow up and strtch the skin and could make ulcer :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Attachments

• curly3.jpg
    curly3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
  • curly2.jpg
    curly2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 44

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom