Pets (7 Viewers)

We have two cats, both rescues from the same shelter. The black domestic medium hair is Sir-Purrs-A-Lot and the striped Tabbie is Ruffian. Personally I wanted to call them Stinky Pete & Fleabag Jones (the adventures of!) but the wife nixed that

chips.jpg

love.jpg

spoon.jpg

wifecats.jpg

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Beautiful cat Jim!

i'll save an extended post about all my pets for an afternoon when i have a bit more free time. but this thread reminded me of an errand i have to run this weekend for an xmas present for my stepdaughter, Casey. we have a basset hound named Bruce and they're very close. Bruce is getting up there in years and i can see her get down when his age comes up in conversation. she knows he's not going to be around forever.

sometime this past year she was roughhousing on the floor with him and i took a couple crappy iphone pics. despite the quality, one looked cute and captured a lot of their relationship:

hteW2rn.jpg

i commissioned a virtual artist, dax gordine, to adapt the photo as an illustration. it was a real J5 experience - super responsive, asking for other photos of Bruce and Casey to make sure he got things right, and the price was ridiculous considering this is his primary profession and he's basically doing this as a lark and a favor. he sent the below illustration and i'm taking it for framing this weekend at a local shop here.

uX4mXxN.jpg

This thread is a bit tough today. My mother called me a few hours ago to tell me my cat of 14 years was just put down. Couldn't eat anymore because of growth in her mouth. :(

But here are my two cats that I rescued a few years ago. They get along so well since almost week 1. You would think they are related they are so close.. They had a hard time finding homes because they are both FIV positive.

Murphy behind and Barney showing his boy bits haha

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415395308759.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415395308759.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 149
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415395339878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415395339878.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 156
I have two Pits one Boxer mix (male, name is Zero) and one Wolf mix (female, name is Hiccup) (big babies also) got both off the streets, found in a abandoned house.
A water turtle (male, named Shelden) also a rescue from a different abandoned house.
And 5 fish that the turtle didn't eat, names are big E, little one, Fred, white spot, and goldy.....My kids named them.

The dogs are let in the house about 11pm when there is about 5 or so at the poker table, they like to lick people, no poker for them.

Last edited:
Here is Auri - as far as we can tell, she is a pit bull / shar pei mix. We adopted her a few weeks ago from the local shelter. She's roughly 2 years old, and very calm and friendly.
[/IMG]

I have two cats, two dogs. The dogs are in their "golden years" Cooper, the dobie mix is 13 years old (ancient for a 115 pound dog). Daisy, the greyhound mix is 12. They are my first dogs, and I love them with all I've got. Trying my best not to think of the day that I'm without them. The kittens, well, they're still to young to be anything but INSANE! Hazel and Drew. Don't let the sleep photo fool you. They are INSANE.
SoDamnCute.jpg086.jpgsleepy.jpg

i'll save an extended post about all my pets for an afternoon when i have a bit more free time. but this thread reminded me of an errand i have to run this weekend for an xmas present for my stepdaughter, Casey. we have a basset hound named Bruce and they're very close. Bruce is getting up there in years and i can see her get down when his age comes up in conversation. she knows he's not going to be around forever.

sometime this past year she was roughhousing on the floor with him and i took a couple crappy iphone pics. despite the quality, one looked cute and captured a lot of their relationship:

hteW2rn.jpg

i commissioned a virtual artist, dax gordine, to adapt the photo as an illustration. it was a real J5 experience - super responsive, asking for other photos of Bruce and Casey to make sure he got things right, and the price was ridiculous considering this is his primary profession and he's basically doing this as a lark and a favor. he sent the below illustration and i'm taking it for framing this weekend at a local shop here.

uX4mXxN.jpg

This is just awesome jbutler. I love Bassets; I had one when I was around four or five and she was great.

This is my boy, Jack. He's a lab mix, and that's all I really know for sure. He just turned one a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpg
    IMG_3226.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 152
This is just awesome jbutler. I love Bassets; I had one when I was around four or five and she was great.

Thanks, man! I've had 8 dogs in my life and all but two were bassets. They're slobbery but they're very loving :)

Love your pup too!

We have two rescue dogs, red setters. The big'un is Finn, the smaller one is Rua.

Finn (left, white flash), Rua (right):
20141105_152719_31281_zpsd33ca74e.jpg

Finn likes 'sticks':
20140811_170601_41659_zps3bf69062.jpg

Rua likes plastic bottles and balls:
20141004_172148_zps1f39662e.jpg

Rua 'rescuing' jellyfish (gently plucking them from the water and dropping them on the shore):
20140824_115124_25062_zps7c7788d6.jpg

Finn DUI of the Dugmobile:
20140713_212204_16948_zpsd60d98c2.jpg

Finn cleared for take off:
20140824_120130_11131_zpse806ad16.jpg

Last edited:
rescue pets are the BEST because I feel they will love you back more. and you feel great about what you did.
I am very against cats and dogs sold at pet stores.

Finn likes 'sticks':
20140811_170601_41659_zps3bf69062.jpg

all great pics, but this one is my favorite. i can never tell if dogs are dumb as hell or just the most optimistically ambitious creatures on the planet.

Really great looking dog Tom! Ok! Put me on the list! I'll pull out all the stops to make your Tournament! Latke put me over the top![emoji41]

HD

ROFL, I've been chipping at you to come for six months and Latke was the straw that broke the camel's back? I will slot you down sir.

By the way I thought the Fatwadoodle picture was hilarious.

I'll let you clarify before posting a response...

Do you actually believe rescue animals "love" their owners "more" than all other dogs?

Well, if we accept that these animals have emotional capabilities, then surely they must "feel" sad/anxious when kept in less than ideal conditions, no? Thus, it is not unreasonable to assume an elevated level of emotional bond when that animal is placed into a "good" situation. Not saying that I feel this to be true, but I can see how some might . . .

For the record, all of our family pets are either from shelters or rescue situations . . . never stores or breeders.

Not that there is anything wrong with reputable breeders.

Ill clarify myself then. I think all animals show a great sense of 'love' to their owners but I believe its a more special bond if that animal has come from a terrible situation. so its not quite all about the pet to the owner love its the back and forth bond may be more higher at times.
Dont know about dogs. Only have had cats my whole life

But I still stick by my words of adopt rather than buy. Too much overpopulation. Yes I understand the need for some breeders for rare breeds etc. But puppy mills are atrocities.

Well, if we accept that these animals have emotional capabilities, then surely they must "feel" sad/anxious when kept in less than ideal conditions, no? Thus, it is not unreasonable to assume an elevated level of emotional bond when that animal is placed into a "good" situation. Not saying that I feel this to be true, but I can see how some might . . .

For the record, all of our family pets are either from shelters or rescue situations . . . never stores or breeders.

Not that there is anything wrong with reputable breeders.

Do you love your parents less than a child that was adopted by a family?

In truth, you can't say one way or another. All you know is that you have a profound love for your parents and can't say whether or not an adopted child has more or less than you. In fact it's a senseless point to bring up correct? While admirable (I have owned 2 rescue dogs and applaud anyone rescuing a pet) I reject Spikes notion that a rescue pet loves its owner "more" than one that is a non rescue pet... That's all.

HD

all great pics, but this one is my favorite. i can never tell if dogs are dumb as hell or just the most optimistically ambitious creatures on the planet.
Finn is one strong pup. That branch didn't slow him down much. He has a neck like General Grievous!
20141107_095454-1_zpsc13c032e.jpg
The pic doesn't do the size/weight of that lump of wood justice. I wrastled it off him to hurl it into the sea, picked it up with both hands, and he countered by jumping up and putting both paws on top of the wood, making it impossible to keep holding/forcing it to the ground. He called "eagle claw" on that one!!

Latke, our 8 month old wheaten terrier.View attachment 2660
8 months?! 8 months?!?!?!That thing's gonna be the size of Digby by the time it's full grown!!! :DBeautiful dug. :)

.... In fact it's a senseless point to bring up correct? While admirable (I have owned 2 rescue dogs and applaud anyone rescuing a pet) I reject Spikes notion that a rescue pet loves its owner "more" than one that is a non rescue pet... That's all.

Not to agree or disagree with either one of you, but who cares? Just love 'em, and you'll get loved back. This is a debate worthy of Usenet...

Be thankful that you can have pets. Some of us are badly allergic to cats, dogs, and horses. I took weekly shots for 20 years until the last cat died and I divorced the horsewoman. ;)

8 months?! 8 months?!?!?!That thing's gonna be the size of Digby by the time it's full grown!!! :DBeautiful dug. :)

You might be right. Usually these are mid size dogs that top out around 40 lbs, but when he was a puppy he had paws like moon landers.

So if we are going to have this thread this seemed obligatory to me....

Dogs playing poker

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415668554.023646.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom