PCF Group Chip Buys & Advice (2 Viewers)

Dave I respect you a lot but you have to admit that the only people who agree with your argument are those that were included in the group who made the purchase and design of the boat chips in total secrecy and A large portion of said group,except you ,have profited greatly from the extremely bloated prices those chips change hands for. One of the reasons I won’t argue with you is that you have kept the chips which I believe you purchased with the right intent I do not, however hold the same respect for those who made massive profits even though they say they were justified because that group took a chance, because given the chance many others would have taken the same deal. It is time to let this rest and it is a sad thing every time this surfaces, but it does recur just because it WAS a group buy but the GROUP was not open. Let’s just be honest.

This argument is silly. A bunch of people were disappointed that they weren't included. It doesn't matter whether it was a group buy or not. They were still disappointed. It doesn't matter whether or not their disappointment was justified. They were still disappointed.
That's it.

My definition is simple:

A “group buy” is where a group of people, directly or indirectly, order and purchase specified chips from a third party.
So, that would include the Horseshoe Cincy, Harrahs Cherokee, and Starlite chips, all of which were privately purchased jointly by multiple people, and would also cover chip purchases organized for the purpose of generating profit for the organizer.

That's a far more broad description than I would use.

Imo, if it can't be listed in the Group Buy forum, it doesn't qualify as a group buy. Ymmv.

This argument is silly. A bunch of people were disappointed that they weren't included. It doesn't matter whether it was a group buy or not. They were still disappointed. It doesn't matter whether or not their disappointment was justified. They were still disappointed.
That's it.
Agreed, I'm sad I wasn't included, but also, I wasn't on PCF at the time, so it's not like I could've been included. I feel bad for others who weren't included, but if you didn't want to pay that much for chips, you probably shouldn't have bought them. The options were, include everyone, but then nobody could get them, or include a few people, and then you can get them, but for inflated prices. Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me. If the world was a perfect place, then the resellers would have just sold them for what they paid, but it isn't, and that's why communism doesn't work. Thank you and good night.

So, that would include the Horseshoe Cincy, Harrahs Cherokee, and Starlite chips, all of which were privately purchased jointly by multiple people, and would also cover chip purchases organized for the purpose of generating profit for the organizer.

That's a far more broad description than I would use.

Imo, if it can't be listed in the Group Buy forum, it doesn't qualify as a group buy. Ymmv.
So it seems like your definition of group buys is: a group but that is open to the public?

Let the science commence!

So it seems like your definition of group buys is: a group but that is open to the public?

Let the science commence!
To me, the term 'group buy' inferrs that it is an open participation shared-expenses non-profit endeavor (and one that could be listed in the PCF group buy forum).

Obviously, it doesn't mean that to everybody.

But if one tries to post a proposed buy in that forum that does not meet the requirements/expectations, it won't be allowed. One could argue that if not allowed in the group buy forum, it must not be a true group buy -- at least as typically defined or generally understood.

To me, the term 'group buy' inferrs that it is an open participation shared-expenses non-profit endeavor (and one that could be listed in the PCF group buy forum).

But if one tries to post a proposed buy in that forum that does not meet the requirements/expectations, it won't be allowed. One could argue that if not allowed in the group buy forum, it must not be a true group buy -- at least as typically defined or generally understood.
Ok science of a poll to commence tomorrow !

God I hate to even do this...so is this basically admitting the underlying function of this endeavor was profit seeking and that's why it wasn't a group buy?

I just always operated off the assumption that making it public information could compromise the groups ability to covertly purchase the chips under obvious false pretenses.

God I hate to even do this...so is this basically admitting the underlying function of this endeavor was profit seeking and that's why it wasn't a group buy?

I just always operated off the assumption that making it public information could compromise the groups ability to covertly purchase the chips under obvious false pretenses.
Watch as he threads the needle in 3 2.... :D

You could argue the Truman’s or pooping parrots weren’t for profit and even something that was public could be purchased to profit from at a later date (but that wouldn’t fit his definition so...?). So I don’t think you can pin that on him fully but it still seems like the only difference is one is a public group buy and the other is a private group buy. I’d still disagree that just because you wouldn’t publicly post a private group buy in a online forum thread called “group buys” negates it from falling under the umbrella of a group buy. But I don’t own the definition, the unwashed masses do and we will determine once and for all tomorrow what they’ve decided. That or start another pointless online chip nerd argument :LOL: :laugh:

Last edited:
Why nobody bitches about the BTP circus or beach chips etc I just don't understand. Always about the boat chips. Why were those buys so nobel and the boat chip buy not.....was it because they weren't it. Stupid.
They’re roped in as the same thing.

so is this basically admitting the underlying function of this endeavor was profit seeking and that's why it wasn't a group buy?
No, I made no such claim. It didn't qualify as a group buy because it was not open participation.

The not-for-profit restriction applies to any listing in the Group Buy forum, whether it be destined for the organizer, reshipper, or if offered directly by a manufacturer/vendor with a profit motive.

I don’t own the definition, the unwashed masses do and we will determine once and for all tomorrow what they’ve decided. That or start another pointless online chip nerd argument :LOL: :laugh:
Make sure you do your research in the Group Buy forum threads first. There is already a lot of info there.

Nah, I'd rather see you hang yourself. :D

I've made my position clear many times.

Nah, I'd rather see you hang yourself. :D

I've made my position clear many times.
Please everyone bare witness to his inability or unwillingness (stubbornness) to properly define his own position, I will be noting this tomorrow as he tells us how we’re all wrong.

Rebuttal that still doesn’t define it yet points out something else I’m doing wrong in 3 2...:p

I have nothing to add because I don't feel it is my place to describe events during which I was not around for. My advice to the OP is to PM some of the members here about the history and circumstances of which those chips came to be. Most will be forthcoming and willing to tell the story if you're respectful :)

Best Grandpa Simpson GIFs | Gfycat

Please everyone bare witness to his inability or unwillingness (stubbornness) to properly define his own position, I will be noting this tomorrow as he tells us how we’re all wrong.

Rebuttal that still doesn’t define it yet points out something else I’m doing wrong in 3 2...:p
Rather than you blabber on about utter nonsense, how about you just see post #43 above.

Rather than you blabber on about utter nonsense, how about you just see post #43 above.
No need to research the GB forum if #43 answered it already then?
Make sure you do your research in the Group Buy forum threads first. There is already a lot of info there.

Goodnight Dave, you win, you’re right I’m wrong, uninformed, whatever it is I’m fine with it. I’m just excited for the poll tomorrow.

No need to research the GB forum if #43 answered it already then?

Goodnight Dave, you win, you’re right I’m wrong, uninformed, whatever it is I’m fine with it. I’m just excited for the poll tomorrow.
Hey, you wanna post something tomorrow without doing your homework, that's on you.

Sorry but I don't want to get naked when I witness this :p

You said post #43 so I’m assuming you did yours.
Indeed. Also prefaced it with "to me".

Would hate to see you make an ass of yourself by not taking the time to review previous discussion on the topic before posting a poll.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom