Found PCA Secondary Hundos and $500s ($2000/rack for hundos, $4000/rack for $500s) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pink p1 blurple, daisy secondary
pink p1 lavender ,moss green primary
These fracs are beautiful! Love mine! GLWS!
066082CF-595A-4898-B8FA-31E8AD08A913.jpeg

Imagine... If people had left well enough alone, I could have been just sitting here, waiting on an a couple of MFRBs that contained some boring old PCA primaries. I would have opened the box, and said “oh, these aren’t that great, maybe I don’t need PCAs at all,” and gone back to my editing projects.

Sigh.

Imagine... If people had left well enough alone, I could have been just sitting here, waiting on an a couple of MFRBs that contained some boring old PCA primaries. I would have opened the box, and said “oh, these aren’t that great, maybe I don’t need PCAs at all,” and gone back to my editing projects.

Sigh.
So you're admittedly buying people out to prove a point? Wow

So you're admittedly buying people out to prove a point? Wow

If that’s what you got from that post, so be it. PCAs have been on my radar for 3 months, I have 2 cancelled ads for them. My point was that different things trigger different decisions. When the sale was pulled back, I decided to build a set.

Sigh.
Krish, to bust out the yinglish, don’t worry about the paskudnyaks. Inflation will force us all to pay your prices soon anyway. Everybody dies. :)

I have to admit, at these prices I’ve given serious thought to selling my set. And I absolutely love them.

It’s hard for me to come to grips with the fact that these little clay disks can be “worth” this much. I’m not a collectibles guy and only own chips to use and enjoy them.

Then I ask myself, what else would I buy with this money? And what enjoyment would I get from that? Maybe I need another hobby.

Maybe I need another hobby.

I can recommend Harry Potter paraphernalia and comic books from personal experience, David.

Seriously, though: A veteran chipper sent me a note late last night talking about a really interesting dichotomy...that collectors in chipping usually focus on singles, but hobbyists focus on sets; and that it is unusual to find hard core collectors focusing on entire sets, which is the source of a lot of the recent angst.

I thought that was an interesting observation. I guess singles collectors do sometimes shell out tens of thousands of dollars for one chip, because it has collectible value; sets don’t really have that yet, and so it creates this tension.

I can recommend Harry Potter paraphernalia and comic books from personal experience
I can second this—I was *obsessed* with Harry Potter as a kid and grew up with the series... unintentionally picked up some nifty stuff in the process, some foreign editions and harder to find spin-off books too (such as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by “Newt Scamander,” not Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them the mediocre spinoff movie). I’ll PM some pics when I get home—some great memories attached to them.

Updated needs below, only hundos are left.

Offering (for excellent-minty condition):

$600/rack for fracs (2 racks found)
$1250/rack for $5s (8 racks found)
$1000/rack for $25s (5 racks found)
$2000/rack for hundos (Need 2 more racks)
$4000/rack for $500s (2 racks found)

I can recommend Harry Potter paraphernalia and comic books from personal experience, David.

Seriously, though: A veteran chipper sent me a note late last night talking about a really interesting dichotomy...that collectors in chipping usually focus on singles, but hobbyists focus on sets; and that it is unusual to find hard core collectors focusing on entire sets, which is the source of a lot of the recent angst.

I thought that was an interesting observation. I guess singles collectors do sometimes shell out tens of thousands of dollars for one chip, because it has collectible value; sets don’t really have that yet, and so it creates this tension.
That’s a fascinating theory. I hadn’t even thought about it that way, but I think that veteran chipper is very wise.

In terms of my hobbies, those Harry Potter people are weirdos, right @Perthmike ? The reality is that my main hobby has been, and will continue to be, poker. I don’t see that changing. Once I get out of the corporate grind in a few years, I’m thinking of enjoying the outdoors a little more. Mountains, lakes, ocean; haven’t quite decided yet.

I would add that, in comparison to a singles collector, those who look for sets aim (for the most part) to get those sets into play in actual games; they're not meant to be museum pieces, purchased simply to be locked away in a protective case and admired from afar.

Sets get put to regular use, however at a certain point, as @Hornet alluded to, you have to ask yourself what the hell you're doing if the chips you're tossing around on a weekly basis reach a certain price, or rise in value as drastically as they have in the past year.

I count myself as extremely fortunate to have enough disposable income to allow me to spend money on stupid things like poker chips and custom tables, but even I have to wonder sometimes if I'm an idiot for felting a set of something like the Big Tops for my regular 0.50/1.00 game.

Last edited:
And to think... all I wanted was a 4Runner. My wife will force me to sell all my chips if I entertained the idea of a Defender.
I’m not a car guy, but I love, love, love the Defenders. There’s a custom Defender garage not too far from where I live - maybe it’s due to seeing them on the road on a regular basis here, but I would love one as a camping/outdoor adventure vehicle. Wife has other opinions on the matter! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If that’s what you got from that post, so be it. PCAs have been on my radar for 3 months, I have 2 cancelled ads for them. My point was that different things trigger different decisions. When the sale was pulled back, I decided to build a set.
I was way ahead of you and told that you would end up with a PCA in no time ;)
It took a lot longer then I expected...but still...your stepping up in a never seen way :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom