PAHWM - NLHE (1 Viewer)

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Tournament of Champions - Hero is 8th in chip-stacks.

Blinds 200/400

Folds to MP who makes it 900. This player is 2nd in the rankings, and is sitting on a stack of ~75k. Very LAG type player, easily in the top 10% skill level in the league.

Folds around.

CO calls (~60k behind) - LAG player who always gets there - F'ing Marco

Hero on the button with ~55k in chips holding :as: :6s:

Action to hero?

Last edited:
I love seeing flops with a suited Ace in position. I’m most likely calling. Definitely can make an argument to raise as a bluff too. Could squeeze out the original raiser even. But if he is a skilled Lag that is unlikely.

Folding to a 4 bet if you do raise, but if called you still have a playable hand post flop and position.

I love seeing flops with a suited Ace in position. I’m most likely calling. Definitely can make an argument to raise as a bluff too. Could squeeze out the original raiser even. But if he is a skilled Lag that is unlikely.

Folding to a 4 bet if you do raise, but if called you still have a playable hand post flop and position.
So what is your action?

I generally try to avoid A6-A9 as they don't have any straight potential to bail you out. I'd probably sometimes call and more often fold this. Part of that is just based on balance, and some of it will have to do with opponents. More specifically, whether we think the blinds are going to tag along or if they have a decent 3 betting %.

Tournament of Champions - Hero is 8th in chip-stacks.

Blinds 200/400

Folds to MP who makes it 900. This player is 2nd in the rankings, and is sitting on a stack of ~75k. Very LAG type player, easily in the top 10% skill level in the league.

Folds around.

CO calls (~60k behind) - LAG player who always gets there - F'ing Marco

Hero on the button with ~55k in chips holding :as: :6s:

Action to hero?

Jam...go to the cash game :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Depends on how well you can read this player. Unknown player or TAG - probably fold always

If you know they like to chase (and it seems it if you say they always get there) then it's a cheap call to see the flop.

Guessing 900 preflop probably suited connectors or pocket pair <6s

edit/ Thought you said the raiser always gets there - I misread. Fold here - I hate A-6 three handed

Stack to pot ratio is the deciding factor. A-rag suited is speculative and needs a sky high SPR. In this situation, the SPR is huge - 25+. Calling works for me. A three bet "bluff" is an acceptable fancy play, though not my cup of tea vs a sticky, skilled LAG.

If the SPR was going to be ultra low, like late in the tournament, calling is terrible. Then it is jam or fold.

If the SPR is middling, say around ten, I think folding is the best choice.

All of these are affected by our villain reads and Hero's table image.

Its a suited ace on the button and we are quite deep so it’s playable. Gets more playable if the blinds don’t squeeze much.

Weak suited aces are good candidates to 3-bet and if the cutoff didn’t flat that’s what I’d do. With cutoff in there I lean towards just calling

All of these are affected by our villain reads and Hero's table image.
Villain reads - he's one of our better players, but is known to be full of shit on occasion. This particular player can get married to his hands in certain spots and sometimes makes very questionable calls. He leads the league in knockouts, and finished 1st in our 4 table MTT this year.

Hero's image - not really sure - skilled, but (vocally) hates hold em tournaments. LAG player who tends to lay DAG (drunk aggressive) but he's not there yet, it's early. This year I have tightened up, but I don't play well out of position. Not sure if villain knows I've tried to tighten up.

I'll keep this moving.

Hero calls the 900, SB folds, BB calls.

Pot - 3,800

Flop is :3s::4s::5c: and BB checks.

Villain bets 2000.

CO calls

Action on hero with :as::6s:

I’m calling in position with a ton of equity, trying to keep inferior flush draws in for the potential of stacking someone. A raise pushes other straight draws and possibly weaker flush draws out and gets reraised by flopped straights and possibly sets.

On the button I like calling to see a flop here. I'd honestly only want to continue on boards with a spade draw because our A could potentially be well behind of either player although since they are LAGs their opening range could be weaker than A6 suited.

Pretty sick flop. I like to play my big draws aggressively as I'm also okay with just winning the pot and moving on. I'd raise to 7500 here and buckle up for a big pot. This is probably the best flop we could realistically ask for with this kind of hand.

I’m raising for sure!

Let’s hope he has a decent pocket pair like 8’s to Kings and wants to get the money in now. Too many scare cards can come on the turn to kill our action. Or if we just call and a blank comes off and he bombs the turn we lose all of our fold equity.

There is no bad scenario here. If they fold now we win the pot without having to improve. If we get any calls we are way ahead of anything but a set, and we are damn near in a coin flip there. Even the flopped wheel we are in good shape against, only losing 1 out.

Last edited:
Considering we can have all the sets and probably 67s in our range, we should probably raise. Plus, the board is so wet that the scare cards are super obvious. So even if we call then hit it might be hard to extract max value.

If all we had was the flush draw, I might be more inclined to just call hoping to go 3 ways to the turn.

With this type of hand, this deep, we have a lot of options (except fold), all justifiable.

I’m raising for sure!

Let’s hope he has a decent pocket pair like 8’s to Kings and wants to get the money in now. Too many scare cards can come on the turn to kill our action. Or if we just call and a blank comes off and he bombs the turn we lose all of our fold equity.

There is no bad scenario here. If they fold now we win the pot without having to improve. If we get any calls we are way ahead of anything but a set, and we are damn near in a coin flip there. Even the flopped wheel we are in good shape against, only losing 1 out.
Would you think there's any chance of cutoff playing 67 suited? Based on description I know players who would call a preflop raise in decent position with a hand like that.

Would you think there's any chance of cutoff playing 67 suited? Based on description I know players who would call a preflop raise in decent position with a hand like that.

There is always a chance, but not likely. We block 67ss which is huge. So IF he did he can’t have a flush draw with it. I don’t know too many people that flop a straight/set/2 pair on a 2 flush board that only call a bet. They want to raise to charge the draws/get value from their made hand while it is best. Even if someone doesn’t have the flush draw, if the draw comes in it usually kills action.

Another thing to consider is the pre flop raiser went ahead and fired nearly 70% pot into multiple people on a board that should not really hit his range very often. And he can't have :as:X:spades:. So his bet looks a lot like an overpair. Possibly the small sets if he opens somewhat wide. And MAYBE something like a spade broadway K.

Pot sized bet is 11,800. Sounds about right to me. Plan to call any re-raise. I'd happily get it in on this flop.

I went small end of the raise. I don't want to take it down now. I'm greedy. If he has an over pair I want him to re raise me. I agree, I'll play for stacks with this flop every day!

I went small end of the raise. I don't want to take it down now. I'm greedy. If he has an over pair I want him to re raise me. I agree, I'll play for stacks with this flop every day!
edited my post to more accurately reflect my plan. I wouldnt just call a re-raise (if there is one).

Yeah but even though you flopped the world your draw isn't going to always get there. While we are ahead %-wise, we still have just A-rag. I'd be fine with fold equity and increasing my stack by 20% without having to go to showdown.

Yeah but even though you flopped the world your draw isn't going to always get there. While we are ahead %-wise, we still have just A-rag. I'd be fine with fold equity and increasing my stack by 20% without having to go to showdown.

Makes sense. I probably wouldn't play it that way. it definitely makes sense lol.

Do you think my 6500 raise is too small? I suck at NLHE tourney's.
I want to put as much pressure on as possible. 6500 has less fold equity. if you do hit the flush or straight, you arent going to get paid off all the time. Let's use our position and equity in the hand and make these lagtards pay :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom