PAHWM: AhKh in an action "$1/$3" game (1 Viewer)

Legend5555

Full House
Reaction score
This hand happened a few weeks ago. Hero's typical Thursday 1/3 game has become a split game. Table 1 has become the action table with the addition of 2-3 specific players that straddle nearly every hand to $10-20. It effectively plays like a 5/10 or 10/20 game with average stacks around 1500-2k. Table 2 is more normal with average stacks around $500.

Hero has recently moved to table 1 and is on $900. Seat 2 is an action Chinese player. Currently on $2.5k and in for at least $3k. Seat 1 is a moderate action player on $1k that gives lots of action pre and on the flop, but in this lineup actually plays pretty straight up on the later streets. Seat 8 is the uber-whale. Vpip near 100%. Frequently into the game upwards of 6k. Straddled most hands. When stuck will start blind raising because the max straddle is too small. This session has been a bit on the "tame" side for him. He's in for just 7k, sitting on 3k.

Seat 7 is the button and has the $10 rock out.

Seat 8 in SB limps blind.
BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

HERO in LJ with :ah::kh:.

Players behind hero are all on the tighter side.

Action?

Last edited:
Thanks beautiful.

Good God. $3 aint enough, if I'm sitting at that table hoping for one of the action players to join I'm fine with between $30 and $50. $20 wont feel like enough but $75 will make a raise pretty scary. But my games arent crazy like this, curious to see how that would change analysis.

Edit: lol looks like my last sentence was prudent, out of my depth.
Edit 2: Aaahhhh shit, missed the $10 rock comment. Bet sizing makes way more sense now. I'm gonna stop editing this comment now.

Last edited:
If we want to get all-in by the turn where a TPTK could be best on a non-scary board, a big raise to the tune of $80 - $110 is in order here. Best of all, if the seat 8 whale decides to re-raise you preflop, a shove is easy enough.

There's like $60 in dead money with 3 more person to act after this, I will raise to $90-95.

I certainly dowan to raise too small and play a bloated mutli way bomb pot in the end

BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

HERO in LJ with :ah::kh:.

If you aren't going after 5 limpers with AKs you are too scared to play in an action game. This screams for a $70-$80 3-bet and don't be surprised to still get called in multiple spots. If the Button decides to 4 bet-it get ready to ship.

Basic poker says raise the premium hand. Your reaction to their reaction depends on their character. Regardless of the tight players, you can't let everyone limp in. That's how these hands get cracked. I would raise to just where the bet becomes uncomfortable. Let's say lots of calls on $45, raise to $55.

See OP for player details.

Added info for Seat 2. Loves to try and squeeze or take advantage of any perceived weakness. Very active post flop with raises and check raises with a wide range of stuff. And I once played a hand with him where 2 players limped to me in a $20 straddled pot, I limped KK with this guy behind me. He raises to 140, got back to me and I jammed 750 in his face and he called. We ran twice with an Ace on one board and a Queen on the other, yet I still scooped.

BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

HERO in LJ with :ah::kh: and raises to $80.
Seat 8, Seat 1, and Seat 2 all call. HERO is in position on all of them.

Pot: $330 after rake.
Eff Stack: $820

Flop: :kc::th::5h:

Checks to HERO.

Action?

Added info for Seat 2. Loves to try and squeeze or take advantage of any perceived weakness. Very active post flop with raises and check raises with a wide range of stuff. And I once played a hand with him where 2 players limped to me in a $20 straddled pot, I limped KK with this guy behind me. He raises to 140, got back to me and I jammed 750 in his face and he called. We ran twice with an Ace on one board and a Queen on the other, yet I still scooped.

BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

Checks to HERO.

Action?
Raise half pot

BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

Checks to HERO.

Action?

That is an amazing flop. I am betting as much as I think I can to get at least one player to call. I probably make $250.

Checks to HERO.

Action?

1694458438926.png

We want to make a turn all-in relatively easy against one caller. Anywhere from $150 - $225 gets the job done.

Just imagine you are playing a 5c/10c game where no one gives a fuck about the money and that will get you pretty close to what playing at this table is like and what you should do.
I getcha, but they're so damn passive. I need to reteach myself proper sizing and betting, been hosting and teaching people, too much level 0. I'm learning, thanks. You're right, if we're going for 25xbb pre-flop raises and they're calling you gotta take advantage of it.

Edit: just caught that there's a $10 rock, makes way more sense.

Last edited:

BB limps.
UTG limps.
Seat 1 limps.
Seat 2 limps.
Seat 3 folds.

Checks to HERO.

Action?
I am betting 200. This sets us up to call it off if shoved on, or if we get to the turn unraised, to ship it there. No point in slow playing a 4-way pot, get chips moving now.

Edit to add, this is a sizing I might use with non flush draw Kx hands and maybe some AQ misses given we got checked too. It's not so big where it looks like we are committing to the pot, but we know we are totally committing to this pot.

Doesn’t look like a bad trap candidate.

If this is a table where never trapping I’m going $150. Maybe a little higher to $175 for an easier turn jam heads up.

I like the 75% cbet. Get as much as you can in. I'm curious how others play this if you get called by both or get re-raised.
if you get called by both you don’t have an option.

If reraised you get to go all-in.

Sometimes TPTK nut flush redraw turns into quads and the poor sap with bottom set in the BB completely retires from poker

IMG_9661.jpeg

Most people say bet, and bet on the larger side (50%+ pot).

What are the reasons? What's the plan? (ie. Are we ever folding to any action?) What are we trying to get value from? What hands do our opponents have that will be willing to get it all in? How many of those do we beat? What does our hand look like when we bet? Are we betting our entire range? If we aren't, what hands are we checking and why?

These are some of the questions I think need to be answered and that I ask myself when considering an action.

I think we can't get away from this hand. Pot now, and ready for all-in.
People are absurd bastards. And Luck may reward them for being wrong. Talking from my online experience, though.

What are the reasons? What's the plan? (ie. Are we ever folding to any action?) What are we trying to get value from? What hands do our opponents have that will be willing to get it all in? How many of those do we beat? What does our hand look like when we bet? Are we betting our entire range?

These are some of the questions I think need to be answered and that I ask myself when considering an action.
The only thing you need to be worried about is a tight player raising after the flop. The loose players will pay the hero since the have a good hand. Actually, the flush draw could even make the tight players pay in this situation.

What are the reasons? What's the plan? (ie. Are we ever folding to any action?) What are we trying to get value from? What hands do our opponents have that will be willing to get it all in? How many of those do we beat? What does our hand look like when we bet? Are we betting our entire range?

SPR and table description is probably pushing up bet size to just two streets.

Hands that would call include KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, Qxhh, J9hh, TT, 55, and you are comfortably ahead of that range.
And by description perhaps all heart draws, all Kx, J9, AJ, some Tx, maybe 66 floats you, really who can say. Ahead of that range too.

Your range looks like Kx, TT, KK, AA, Axhh, QJ

You have 3 who have limp-called in a SPR with a wet board. I feel like you are looking to get this in with all of this LAGs. If SB is calling with 20% of their hands and the other two seats are a bit tighter, maybe 15% you are still winning 2/3 of the time against their ranges.

I like the $80 raise pre. Anything from $60 to $90 or so is perfectly acceptable.

Flop is pretty darn good. I'm betting 1/3 pot. Can't be scared of monsters under the bed when hero is the one that will have cards that will improve their hand more often than not. You want to keep these loose and passive players in chasing worse draws and calling with a 10 in their hand.

What are the reasons? What's the plan? (ie. Are we ever folding to any action?) What are we trying to get value from? What hands do our opponents have that will be willing to get it all in? How many of those do we beat? What does our hand look like when we bet? Are we betting our entire range? If we aren't, what hands are we checking and why?

Fair enough, I advocated for a smaller bet, but I am going to answer the questions anyway :).

I am betting because we have a number of opponents and if this gets checked through, I think this is a missed opportunity to get chips in the middle. I also think the board is likely to get worse for the others before it gets better.

The plan is to get the money in, with opponents this loose I don't think we can ever fold.

I am targeting Kx, Tx for sure for value, probably smaller hearts are out there. QJ would be out there, not to mention the other broadway gutshots. With 3 opponents, I'm bound to run into an opponent with one of those holdings willing to call or ideally, semi-bluff over me.

I think this looks like a c-bet at least, but given the reads on the opponents, I don't know ho relevant that question is if they are just unobservant villians.

I think this flop smashes our range and we should be betting most of it, but again, if villains are unobservant, I don't know how relevant GTO considerations should be.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom