Online Home Poker (3 Viewers)

Wanted to stretch the Inkscape legs so I spent a few hours yesterday whipping up a Full Tilt clone for our Poker Mavens server. It's not polished by any means, but I had fun.

I like the "custom" part of the custom home game, so not sure I'll keep it, but it is fun and I always liked FTP's cartoony artistic style.

1628091987408.png

Ran into an odd issue where the suits on the cards are a bit blurry through the client. Not sure if it's a file size issue (only 73kb) or what, but they are built in vector and I haven't seen this issue on any of the other decks I've made so far.

Ran into an odd issue where the suits on the cards are a bit blurry through the client. Not sure if it's a file size issue (only 73kb) or what, but they are built in vector and I haven't seen this issue on any of the other decks I've made so far.
I saw a blurriness issue on my cards when I made the font bolder. The text just looked fuzzy, so I backed it off to just the next level above normal and it was fine.

Wanted to stretch the Inkscape legs so I spent a few hours yesterday whipping up a Full Tilt clone for our Poker Mavens server. It's not polished by any means, but I had fun.

Looks pretty good, VenturaIvn. Would you be willing to share an SVG or layered image format for others to use?

I saw a blurriness issue on my cards when I made the font bolder. The text just looked fuzzy, so I backed it off to just the next level above normal and it was fine.
Thanks for the info! The font is unbolded and the suits are handmade, so I'll have to go through and manually thin them out it seems.

Looks pretty good, VenturaIvn. Would you be willing to share an SVG or layered image format for others to use?
I wouldn't mind as long as there is no issue with copyright, etc. since Poker stars owns the FTP IP. This was all hand created but still a clone.

I like the "custom" part of the custom home game, so not sure I'll keep it, but it is fun and I always liked FTP's cartoony artistic style.

View attachment 748300
I have been waiting for years for 5 card Omaha on-line... :|

Possibly dumb Poker Mavens question here.

I'm out of town visiting at my sister's place. I need to access my PM dashboard to manage some cash transactions. But I can't login using the Remote desktop path that I set up at home. I think it's specific to my home IP address. How can I login to my AWS instance from a new location?

Possibly dumb Poker Mavens question here.

I'm out of town visiting at my sister's place. I need to access my PM dashboard to manage some cash transactions. But I can't login using the Remote desktop path that I set up at home. I think it's specific to my home IP address. How can I login to my AWS instance from a new location?
You should be able to log on to your AWS instance from anywhere. Logging in should not be restricted to your home IP address.

When you double click the remote desktop icon to log in, what happens?

You should be able to log on to your AWS instance from anywhere. Logging in should not be restricted to your home IP address.

When you double click the remote desktop icon to log in, what happens?
I always log in by launching a file I created in AWS. The file in the middle ending in .rdp But 6 months after I set it up, I don't remember how I did it. LOL

1631373999277.png

When I try to launch it here at my sister's place, I get this message.

1631374168021.png

It is possible your instance is configured to only allow connections from your home IP. Can you access your AWS console?

It is possible your instance is configured to only allow connections from your home IP. Can you access your AWS console?
I logged in to my AWS account earlier thinking once I was in I would remember how I created that file and would create a new one for where I am now. But this is not my forte, and nothing looks familiar... :unsure: I can't remember how to get to the console.

No worries y'all. I'm heading out for the day and I'll go back through this thread when I get home tonight. Was hoping it was something easy and I could jog my memory. Looks like I need to do more investigation and re-teach myself. Thanks for trying!

Logging into your AWS account is what I mean by the AWS console.

1. Get logged into your AWS account.
2. Select Services > EC2
3. Under Instances, select Instances.
4. Click on your instance. Hopefully you have just one so it is obvious.
5. You should be seeing the "Instance summary" page at this point. Click the Security tab.

Here you'll see your inbound security rules, which allows RDP connections (port 3389) from certain IP addresses (the Source column). Here is mine:

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 8.44.11 AM.png

Using a source of 0.0.0.0/0 means that any IP address can try to connect via remote desktop. If you see an IP address there instead of zeros, that would be your problem. You can click on the security group link above the table and edit the inbound rule for RDP (port 3389) to change the Source to 0.0.0.0/0. You can always change it back to your home IP address after you're done.

You can always configure Mavens to allow remote access to the Admin dashboard, so you can manage it using a browser without having to go through the whole remote desktop thing. That's how mine is set up, happy to walk you through that if you want.

@TX_Golf_N_Poker The RDP file basically has the computer name, the administrator username, and the administrator password all baked into it. It's a double click and launch file that should "just work". You should be able to use that file from anywhere.

The error message that you're getting can be misleading sometimes. It is possible that there's an open session stuck on your EC2 instance. The first line of defense is typically just rebooting it through the AWS console. You just log on to AWS, find your EC2 instance, click on it, and then click restart.

You also want to make sure that your remote desktop client on your personal computer is up to date.

Logging into your AWS account is what I mean by the AWS console.

1. Get logged into your AWS account.
2. Select Services > EC2
3. Under Instances, select Instances.
4. Click on your instance. Hopefully you have just one so it is obvious.
5. You should be seeing the "Instance summary" page at this point. Click the Security tab.

Here you'll see your inbound security rules, which allows RDP connections (port 3389) from certain IP addresses (the Source column). Here is mine:

View attachment 775047

Using a source of 0.0.0.0/0 means that any IP address can try to connect via remote desktop. If you see an IP address there instead of zeros, that would be your problem. You can click on the security group link above the table and edit the inbound rule for RDP (port 3389) to change the Source to 0.0.0.0/0. You can always change it back to your home IP address after you're done.
@TX_Golf_N_Poker The RDP file basically has the computer name, the administrator username, and the administrator password all baked into it. It's a double click and launch file that should "just work". You should be able to use that file from anywhere.

The error message that you're getting can be misleading sometimes. It is possible that there's an open session stuck on your EC2 instance. The first line of defense is typically just rebooting it through the AWS console. You just log on to AWS, find your EC2 instance, click on it, and then click restart.

You also want to make sure that your remote desktop client on your personal computer is up to date.
Thanks guys. I've been away from the computer all weekend. Finally getting back to this.

I tried rebooting as @BearMetal suggested. That didn't appear to help.

I checked my connections, and that may be the problem. One of the Port Ranges - 3389 does not have all zeros. Here's what I have in that section.

1631509717573.png

I was able to update it to all zeros, and that did the trick. I can log in now using the same .rdp file I used before that was only working from my home IP address.

THANKS both of you!!!

You can always configure Mavens to allow remote access to the Admin dashboard, so you can manage it using a browser without having to go through the whole remote desktop thing. That's how mine is set up, happy to walk you through that if you want.
I will probably hit you up on this down the road.

I checked my connections, and that may be the problem. One of the Port Ranges - 3389 does not have all zeros. Here's what I have in that section.
That's crazy! I've never seen a security group automatically add a restriction for a single home IP address. You never changed it by hand?

Side note: great message there, Microsoft. Way to mislead the user.

That's crazy! I've never seen a security group automatically add a restriction for a single home IP address. You never changed it by hand?

Side note: great message there, Microsoft. Way to mislead the user.
I'm pretty sure I did this intentionally. Or at least thought that was the way I was supposed to set it up. When I went to change it, there were several options and one of them was to restrict it to the current IP address only. I probably thought at the time that would be the safest way to set it up. To prevent anyone else from being able to access my instance.

You probably shouldn't leave it like that unless you have other security measures in place. Every one and their mother scans for that port and now any one can connect to it.

You probably shouldn't leave it like that unless you have other security measures in place. Every one and their mother scans for that port and now any one can connect to it.
Yeah, but don't they still need the password? It's like 25 characters and very complex.

They do, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a security hole there either.
It would certainly be easy enough to change it back after I get home. What do you other guys who are running this with access from any IP address think about this security issue?

It would certainly be easy enough to change it back after I get home. What do you other guys who are running this with access from any IP address think about this security issue?
It's best to restrict it to a single IP address. That way nobody else can even attempt to connect to it on that port.

With that said, sometimes internet providers can change your IP address. So it might work fine today, and then not work fine tomorrow. Additionally, you'll have issues when you're traveling or using a VPN. It simply won't work in those situations unless you go back to the AWS console and update it.

I personally set it up to use a range of IP addresses that I know my internet provider uses for my area.

I have it running on a PC here in my home and can't access it from outside. I have to SSH to another server and from there I can connect to it, but it requires some know-how, so it's security by obscurity.

Edit: I also use the whitelist in the pmavens software.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom